Ive Been scammed Please help,what should i do

Lava trade.tf

Please report them on the main site via their backpack.tf profile. Include screenshots of as much of that chat as you can and a screenshot of the trade in your trade history.

• Carnage locked this topic
  • Lava trade.tf unlocked this topic

What you may need to do is right-click anywhere on the user's profile and click "Copy Page URL", and that should give you the guy's steam profile url.

The Steam browser doesn't usually have the url on the top like most other browsers (by default, anyway) so that's a workaround if need be.

Make sure to get his steam id (its in the url of his profile). Also, make sure it wasnt a impersonator because i checked his profile and he only has 10 hours on tf2. And he turned off commenting. 

A quick check with Steam Rep would have shown he's already a marked scammer. You should have researched him a bit more with trading with him. You can add the report to his file, but it's not going to make much difference, and your items are long gone. 

3 hours ago, Lava trade.tf said:

This guy has a lot of rep

Did you only refer to their profile screenshots when you looked up their rep?

http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198257490279

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198257490279

Hindsight is always clearer, but make sure to use their id credentials here or on SteamRep to check their rep, and never trust what a user has on their Steam profile.

The crucial, main thing you have to do before initiating a trade with anyone is to check their bp.tf profile. Also, check to see if they have at least 500-1k hours on TF2. In this case, the scammer only has 10 hours lmao.

If you don't know how to check someone's backpack.tf profile here's how...

1. Copy the person's profile link, in this case I'll just use your own for convenience: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Lavatrade/

2. Head on over to backpack.tf and paste the person's profile link on the search bar, get rid of everything except for the person's steamID (in this case your steamID is Lavatrade) and press enter to search.

3. Check to see if the person is legit by looking if the person is marked as a scammer, has a private inventory, has no keys or unusuals, etc.

4. If the person is indeed a scammer, cuss him out by using the worst words you could think of and block him afterwards to further aggravate their depressed life.

This is the scammer's profile URL: https://steamcommunity.com/id/765611980593116053

But too late, better luck next time. (Extreme sarcasm)

7 hours ago, Plantlord said:

The crucial, main thing you have to do before initiating a trade with anyone is to check their bp.tf profile. Also, check to see if they have at least 500-1k hours on TF2. In this case, the scammer only has 10 hours lmao.

If you don't know how to check someone's backpack.tf profile here's how...

1. Copy the person's profile link, in this case I'll just use your own for convenience: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Lavatrade/

2. Head on over to backpack.tf and paste the person's profile link on the search bar, get rid of everything except for the person's steamID (in this case your steamID is Lavatrade) and press enter to search.

3. Check to see if the person is legit by looking if the person is marked as a scammer, has a private inventory, has no keys or unusuals, etc.

4. If the person is indeed a scammer, cuss him out by using the worst words you could think of and block him afterwards to further aggravate their depressed life.

This is the scammer's profile URL: https://steamcommunity.com/id/765611980593116053

But too late, better luck next time. (Extreme sarcasm)

No need to be a dick.

16 hours ago, Plantlord said:

He only has 10.4 hours on TF2 yet you trust him, what an idiot.

No need to be an absolute dickhead about this, OP just wanted to know what he should do after being scammed, and how he can make sure this doesn't happen. All you needed were the steps, and how to be wary in the future, calling people idiots helps nobody. 

You're bashing for no reason here, yes OP made a mistake, but he isn't asking to get called an idiot. ONly put what's necessary next time, not the useless sarcasm and side commentary.

Take a look at the chat log, he has been scammed before yet he still trusted this lowlife.

Direct quotes from his chatlog: ''but i got scammed once''

''Imma trust you''

[Next sentence is filled with sarcasm] Well, it turns out trusting Imma was a big mistake. He was too nice and still thought most people on this TF2 community is genuine and kind when that's hardly the case. Join any TF2 server and I can almost guarantee you will find at least one meme spammer, a troller, and a robot who spams binds all day filled with hate just to bring you down. Its time he learns to toughen up and realize the opposite. (Do not trust anyone, especially a random person you just met on the internet and on this trading community, 70% of the people who friend you are scammers.)

Back to you guys who responded to my comments, its nice acting like the hero saving the little kid from the big bad bully just to boost your ego right? Good work! What did you expect me to say... ''Aww, I feel bad for you bro'' or ''Damn, that sucks?'' Sure, those comments will make you look like a decent person but it won't help the kid at all. 

Edit: I gave you both a like attached with a heart, enjoy your daily-dose of ego boosting goodness lel 

8 hours ago, Plantlord said:

Take a look at the chat log, he has been scammed before yet he still trusted this lowlife.

Direct quotes from his chatlog: ''but i got scammed once''

''Imma trust you''

[Next sentence is filled with sarcasm] Well, it turns out trusting Imma was a big mistake. He was too nice and still thought most people on this TF2 community is genuine and kind when that's hardly the case. Join any TF2 server and I can almost guarantee you will find at least one meme spammer, a troller, and a robot who spams binds all day filled with hate just to bring you down. Its time he learns to toughen up and realize the opposite. (Do not trust anyone, especially a random person you just met on the internet and on this trading community, 70% of the people who friend you are scammers.)

Back to you guys who responded to my comments, its nice acting like the hero saving the little kid from the big bad bully just to boost your ego right? Good work! What did you expect me to say... ''Aww, I feel bad for you bro'' or ''Damn, that sucks?'' Sure, those comments will make you look like a decent person but it won't help the kid at all. 

Edit: I gave you both a like attached with a heart, enjoy your daily-dose of ego boosting goodness lel 

No, you be a reasonable human being and either don't respond or give him relevant information pertaining to his original question. You're the one boosting your own ego by acting like you're above everyone else when your trading career hasn't exactly been the most fruitful thing either

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all, take your negativity elsewhere.

Oh, so you think I'm above everyone else, not quite, but I'm certainly above you. Thanks for admitting that :)

Now to decipher  ''Reasonable human being'' because that is quite vague. Its just like saying ''Act like everyone else, show pity''

Aww, how cute!

Well sorry buddy, I have my own mind so enjoy being the reasonable human being you are.

Anyways, my advice was for Lava and I'm pretty sure I've got my point across to him already, nice talking to you Spotlight.

15 hours ago, Plantlord said:

Oh, so you think I'm above everyone else, not quite, but I'm certainly above you. Thanks for admitting that :)

Now to decipher  ''Reasonable human being'' because that is quite vague. Its just like saying ''Act like everyone else, show pity''

Aww, how cute!

Well sorry buddy, I have my own mind so enjoy being the reasonable human being you are.

Anyways, my advice was for Lava and I'm pretty sure I've got my point across to him already, nice talking to you Spotlight.

I get that you like to play devil's advocate, but you really shouldn't be insulting people for making a mistake when you've only made ~$100 of profit in the past year.

If you have no good advice or anything nice to say then refrain from speaking. It really isn't hard.

Archived