I found a weird thing while looking for a professional medigun kit page

kittrz

I was looking for a professional medigun kit page to try to find the classifieds for it since I was interested in buying one, and I found out that you could change the ending number in the URL to change between items for the pages, and I started putting numbers in at random just to see what would pop up and I found one that had the name "Non-Craftable Professional Killstreak Your account has been flagged for circumventing the item distribution system. We have removed the items that were illegally obtained. Future violations will result in the loss of all your items. Kit"

I want to know what this is, it's confusing me so much.

This is the page

Confusion.PNG

It's an artifact from the time Valve cracked down hard on idling programs, deleted people's backpacks, and awarded the Cheater's Lament to those who didn't use the programs.

9 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

It's an artifact from the time Valve cracked down hard on idling programs, deleted people's backpacks, and awarded the Cheater's Lament to those who didn't use the programs.

Thanks, I was wondering what this was, but now I just want to know why it appears on the killstreak kit variants. My best guess though is that instead of giving an email or something, they would give out an item that had this. If anyone could confirm this or correct me please do, I'm really interested in this.

It's in the system more to just cover all the bases than anything. While having a kit like that is completely impossible in the actual game, keeping the framework setup like that means that should a glitch/exploit actually try to create one, it'll create the item rather than crashing or corrupting the game. It's actually very common in the programming world to have things like that, as you'd rather have a small isolated problem than having the entire thing come crashing down.

And glitches like that have happened in the past, the best example being the blank killstreak kits that could be applied to just about anything, even Gun Mettle contracts.

10 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

It's in the system more to just cover all the bases than anything. While having a kit like that is completely impossible in the actual game, keeping the framework setup like that means that should a glitch/exploit actually try to create one, it'll create the item rather than crashing or corrupting the game. It's actually very common in the programming world to have things like that, as you'd rather have a small isolated problem than having the entire thing come crashing down.

And glitches like that have happened in the past, the best example being the blank killstreak kits that could be applied to just about anything, even Gun Mettle contracts.

Thanks, but I wasn't really asking why it was possible to get it onto the kit page, I was more asking why the message was in the database of items.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived