Money Transfer between Steam Wallets coming in 2014

Teeird

They already have steam wallet transfers via the steam market; I'm assuming this means direct, no-fee transfers.

Yep, probably built into Steam Trading. Brad pointed out that currency exchanging is already there for trading, just not activated.

So they Are basically pushing people to make multiple alts to bypass the 200 limit instead of just removing it?

Edit: to explain what i meant, players who do need to transfer isnbe ause they have alts due to trading. No fee transfer might push others to trade via this instead of the market (buyer pays less, seller still gets what they want) dont really see the point of this :L

So they Are basically pushing people to make multiple alts to bypass the 200 limit instead of just removing it?

The 200 limit is only for the market, and it's a legal necessity because Valve takes a cut of the transactions there. If they end up doing direct trading (as Teeird mentioned above, they already seem to have placed infrastructure) then it wouldn't fall under the same restrictions.

The 200 limit is only for the market, and it's a legal necessity because Valve takes a cut of the transactions there. If they end up doing direct trading (as Teeird mentioned above, they already seem to have placed infrastructure) then it wouldn't fall under the same restrictions.

But players who do need to transfer is because they have alts due to trading. No fee transfer might push others to trade via this instead of the market (buyer pays less, seller still gets what they want) which will cause steam to lose potential profits.

I dont really see the point of this seeing as you can easily gift people games anyways.

But players who do need to transfer is because they have alts due to trading. No fee transfer might push others to trade via this instead of the market (buyer pays less, seller still gets what they want) which will cause steam to lose potential profits.

I dont really see the point of this seeing as you can easily gift people games anyways.

People are always going to want to use steam market for the convenience. The most important aspect of a service is usability; it affects your referrals and usage numbers very much, and those are just as important as your revenue sources.

I'm guessing that valve is counting on people giving their friends some steam money as a gift or a loan or whatever. Having more customers is way more important than milking the ones you have by restricting how they can use a product. Business 101, and Valve knows it.

I'm at around 100 items on the market right now (mostly small shit) and I don't really see myself getting up to 200 any time soon. I have hit the $ barrier a couple times before though.

I think that they possibly want to remove paypal trading even more by allowing easier ways to put cash into the game.

Yep, probably built into Steam Trading. Brad pointed out that currency exchanging is already there for trading, just not activated.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API/IEconService#CEcon_Asset

This is basically the documentation for the trade offer API. As you can see, they say 'either assetid or currencyid will be set'. That's probably what Brad was referring to. You can also specify an amount, while I don't know any stackable items that can be traded individually.

Actually, he was talking about Javascript, so he might mean the trade-window. Haven't checked that yet.

I would be very surprised if there were no fee associated with trading steam wallet, valve is smarter than that.

I would be very surprised if there were no fee associated with trading steam wallet, valve is smarter than that.

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Do you know what would be cool, to be able to widthdraw money from steam to paypal.

Make money with less odds of being scammed.

That sure would be nice however I seriously doubt that. Valve wants the virtual money to stay in the system which is a pitty.

I played MTG for along time and though I've stopped 2 years ago I still sell my old cards on MKM and widthdraw money directly to my back account whenever I sell anything there. Having something similar here would make cashing out all the more simply and painless.

• 5 months later...

WARNING!:

If you see Trades that have descriptions like this IT'S A SCAM!!  :ph34r: THEY ARE TRYING TO ROB YOU!!

e.g

Steam Guard: Your account will be credited the amount of $270.00 USD or $288.58 AUD, it will be available after the exchange In addition to the items exchanged 
If you refuse the exchange, specified amount will be refunded to the buyer.

Sincerely,
Pay: $270.00 USD or $288.58 AUD 
Registration No.: B20980M
VAT ID: LU42517916
IBLT No. : 25519716
Date: 07/01/14
Transaction Fee: $270.00 USD or $288.58 AUD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sender: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles***********
Recipient: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles*******

.............................................................................................
After the trade your Steam wallet will receive the relevant funds here:

http://store.steampowered.com/steamaccounts/addfunds
if there are problems concerning the transaction, please contact the undersigned (?)

DON'T GET SCAMMED

how about also allowing you to change ur steam wallet cash to paypal cash or credit card cash so u can like not get scammed

E.g. selling your unusual for 180 dollars on the Steam market, then turning it to paypal and getting it for other things or getting it on ur credit card and having it in real life :)

Letting people refund steam wallet funds to paypal or other such places would be dangerous I'd say but just between accounts that's alright. At the end of the day all wallets lead to steam.

how about also allowing you to change ur steam wallet cash to paypal cash or credit card cash so u can like not get scammed

E.g. selling your unusual for 180 dollars on the Steam market, then turning it to paypal and getting it for other things or getting it on ur credit card and having it in real life :)

Valve will never let you take money out of the system. The whole point of steam wallet funds is that they never really have to exist in your wallet. Once someone buys something on Steam Market with a credit card then ALL of the money belongs to Valve and Valve is kind enough to give you some credit to your account to spend on other items. Steam Wallet funds are more equivalent to Pawn Shop Store Credit.

Archived