Tf2Outpost Removal?

Princess Luna

So, as many people may have noticed, Tf2 Outpost has been flooded with malicious virus ridden ads for a while, Ads that lag and slow down the site, and infect computers that go there from time to time with unblockable pop ups and loud autoplaying ads that require you to click to mute them, only to be redirected to a virus site upon doing so, So my question is, should Backpack.tf drop any connection with a site like that? I understand that Outpost has been a large trading site for a long time, but I think in its current state, it shouldn't be linked to anyone who comes here until their staff get a handle on the issue 

5 hours ago, Speedumm said:

Doesn't it have less traffic than outpost?

it does

8 hours ago, Weedoof said:

Maybe geel should buy outpost and make it not terrible anymore

:thinking:

geel once said he would rather make bp.tf competitor than buy outpost 

• Administrators

This has been known about for some time, so we've considered doing something about this. However I'm also considering that people who use an adblocker or just paid to remove the ads will just get annoyed at the change. I have no qualms towards people who use adblockers -- I use one myself, and there's no shame in doing so considering sites like TF2 Outpost and the malicious ads they serve. However, I'm hearing ZAM is trying to circumvent adblockers as well?

Can TF2 Outpost be considered a community site anymore? Will anyone care if I just remove the button? I don't think I should do that while we don't have a proper trade system.

In the meantime I will probably just proxy the outgoing Outpost links through a page warning the user about malware. I don't think I should sit idly by and refer to the site if they are not going to resolve the malware issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fisk said:

This has been known about for some time, so we've considered doing something about this. However I'm also considering that people who use an adblocker or just paid to remove the ads will just get annoyed at the change. I have no qualms towards people who use adblockers -- I use one myself, and there's no shame in doing so considering sites like TF2 Outpost and the malicious ads they serve. However, I'm hearing ZAM is trying to circumvent adblockers as well?

Can TF2 Outpost be considered a community site anymore? Will anyone care if I just remove the button? I don't think I should do that while we don't have a proper trade system.

In the meantime I will probably just proxy the outgoing Outpost links through a page warning the user about malware. I don't think I should sit idly by and refer to the site if they are not going to resolve the malware issue.

outpost is only way to get B/Os for suggestions rip

3 hours ago, fisk said:

I'm hearing ZAM is trying to circumvent adblockers as well?

Seems like it, and it absolutely demolishes site performance.

Outpost admin here.

Let me preface this, by saying that I would like to keep that button. It makes my life significantly easier, but of course if you decide to remove it, I can live with that as well. Now to the issue at hand:

A while back, Outpost implemented anti-adblock measures, which means your adblock /ublock / whatever will not work on the site. The problem with the site being laggy can easily be resolved. It is your adblocker running in circles, trying to remove the elements. This will not work and will slow down your browser, so the obvious solution is to turn it off on Outpost. We also had about half a dozen reports since then, about Outpost supposedly serving malicious ads. I have investigated every single one of those reports and not only was there no confirmed case, 3 or 4 of those users were infected with browser hijacking malware from somewhere else. I told them how to scan and remove it and one or two acknowledged that they indeed had been infected and the issue was resolved by the removal.

Now, the Outpost staff has no control over the ads shown, but the partner that serves them is reputable and as I said before, I have found not a single instance of malware ads being served. That does not mean it never happened, but personally I doubt it very much. If you do think that an ad contains malware or adware, I urge you to take a screenshot of the ad (if possible, if not please try to describe what the ad was showing), file a report with us and put in a link to the site you were taken. There is also a button under each ad, where you can report it directly to the ad partner.

If you randomly get redirected from Outpost or another tab / window is opening without you having clicked on an ad, please scan your device for malware. None of our ads will do that, so the issue is most likely with your PC. I recommend Malwarebytes to get rid of the most common malware, but some hijacking viruses may require more effort with specialized tools. You can find those if you google your specific problem. If you can not get rid of it with standard tools, run a rootkit scanner and if it is positive, google rootkit virus removal tools.

*Here is a video of me opening Outpost in Chrome. The top ads took a few seconds to load, but nothing slowed down the site at all.

https://app.hyfy.io/v/abe6Cm4AhYU/

I have full confidence in our ads and will click every single one of them. Not to mention there are no pop ups, autoplaying sounds or redirects.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sirploko said:

-snip-

Maybe if there wasn't something, people wouldn't complain.

I personally use premium so don't have have a problem with adds, even though some times they appeared, but have had problems with other parts of the website.

I just want to set the record straight. Outpost has the worst performance out of any site that I regularly use, even with Premium + adblocker disabled. The site is as bloated as a 5-year old installation of Windows.

• Like 3

my favorite part about outpost is that even though I have premium and disabled my ad blocker, essentially complying with everything they ask of me, I still lose my premium once my steam account is signed out of my browser every 30 days. I don't know if they are giving me a glimpse of the literal ad hell that non-premium users have to drudge through during the 30 seconds it takes my pc to load the ads just so I can sign myself back in, or threatening me with what I would have to deal with if I ever dared not renew premium, but I feel like making users pay to make your site usable isn't a great business strategy.

Outpost has been shit ever since Sneeza sold it to ZAM and largely stopped bothering to update it.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 1:42 PM, sirploko said:

If you randomly get redirected from Outpost or another tab / window is opening without you having clicked on an ad, please scan your device for malware. None of our ads will do that

This is simply not true. I'm not saying every ad on Outpost is bad; in fact most of them are fine, but before I got premium I'd say I got an autoplay audio ad one out of three times, and an auto-redirect malware ad one out of ten times. Occasionally when I left an Outpost tab open in the background I'd come back to some fullscreen ad instead. I'm 100% certain that I don't have any ad-injecting malware on my computer as this only ever happened on Outpost and stopped once I got premium.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:44 AM, Julia said:

I just want to set the record straight. Outpost has the worst performance out of any site that I regularly use, even with Premium + adblocker disabled. The site is as bloated as a 5-year old installation of Windows.

I have to disagree with this. Now that I have premium Outpost runs as fast as any other website. The non-premium performance definitely needs some work though; on any page with a video ad (probably half of them) I had to search for the offending ad and click the "report ad" button to make the site usable. The fact that the site now loads three times as fast, scrolls at more than one frame per second, and doesn't have two-second lag with every click on the search and new trade pages only because I no longer have ads definitely says something about the quality of those ads.

10 hours ago, MeFigaYoma said:

I have to disagree with this. Now that I have premium Outpost runs as fast as any other website. The non-premium performance definitely needs some work though; on any page with a video ad (probably half of them) I had to search for the offending ad and click the "report ad" button to make the site usable. The fact that the site now loads three times as fast, scrolls at more than one frame per second, and doesn't have two-second lag with every click on the search and new trade pages only because I no longer have ads definitely says something about the quality of those ads.

So what you're saying is you have to pay money for the site to be usable, so that makes it not the worst trading site.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ѕιи said:

So what you're saying is you have to pay money for the site to be usable

yes

48 minutes ago, ѕιи said:

so that makes it not the worst trading site.

no

• Administrators
12 hours ago, MeFigaYoma said:

This is simply not true. I'm not saying every ad on Outpost is bad; in fact most of them are fine, but before I got premium I'd say I got an autoplay audio ad one out of three times, and an auto-redirect malware ad one out of ten times. Occasionally when I left an Outpost tab open in the background I'd come back to some fullscreen ad instead. I'm 100% certain that I don't have any ad-injecting malware on my computer as this only ever happened on Outpost and stopped once I got premium..

I see 0 support tickets from you on this issue. As ploko said, no reports that have been received on outpost on this have been credible, and the vast majority of the time the people that are complaining about it haven't reported or provided any proof of their accusations. When trying to recreate the issue, nothing has been found. How is it that you expect outpost staff to handle such issues when they're not reported at the time, with evidence or at least a clear description of which ads to look at? 

5 hours ago, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

-snip-

https://streamable.com/74922

I'm sorry but this is fucking ridiculous. In the built in security for chrome, a shitton of requests for scripts and whatnot from god knows where got blocked. You can see I disabled my scripts/ublock for the site. The page probably would never have stopped loading had I not closed the tab. About the file:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/9f995b1c42942ededcce16bba381a19d3b30e0e75a36e0ea956f6a54e040dffe/detection

So yes, it is probably not a virus but then again the contents of the file are completely obfuscated/encrypted somehow.

But my point is, tf2outpost is broken to a ridiculous degree concerning any modern web security. I'm not going to let you access "bandwidth-test-25ko" that has the parameter "cachebuster" with incorrect headers.

You guys are complaining about us thinking your website is full of viruses, but do shit like that and you honestly deserve it.

On 8/8/2017 at 4:42 PM, sirploko said:

A while back, Outpost implemented anti-adblock measures, which means your adblock /ublock / whatever will not work on the site. The problem with the site being laggy can easily be resolved. It is your adblocker running in circles, trying to remove the elements. This will not work and will slow down your browser, so the obvious solution is to turn it off on Outpost.

It's equally as shite with it off, then your processor gets unconsensually raped by the god awful ads you guys are pushing. Please explain to me how on god's green earth using 25% of my i5-4670K and typically 500MB+ of Memory on ONE OUTPOST TAB is acceptable.

nwRs5VL.png

We also had about half a dozen reports since then, about Outpost supposedly serving malicious ads. I have investigated every single one of those reports and not only was there no confirmed case.

What's this redirect ad from Outpost then...(and no I don't have malware)

CKm3qjY.png

Now, the Outpost staff has no control over the ads shown, but the partner that serves them is reputable

Yes because Ad companies are so reputable when it comes to properly screening their ads...

Sorry sirploko but you are defending something which is completely indefensible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1