Time to part ways with certain tf2 aspects

Adolf Storms

This last couple months has made up my mind. I need to totally distance myself from anything TF2 related, other than just playing the game.

I used to strictly just be all about tf2. I used to trade. I used to be an admin on a trade server. I used to be an admin on a community server. Used to be a lot more involved in bp pricing and a lot of tf2 related things. Been playing TF2 for 8 years and 4 accounts.

HOWEVER... lately the tf2 community has just become less tolerable. BP mods have less sense than ever. BP suggestors are a bunch of arrogant little whiners that think they know everything after only a few months. Blatent liers and manipulators abound. So my TF2 involvement is dwindling, but my TF2 playing is the same. I just prefer to enjoy just playing the game, because for so many years I had too many responsibilites or took on too much.

I love TF2 more than ever now. Still one of the best games ever made. 

I hope that the bitterness and resentment that seems to abound in the trading community gets better, but I doubt it. I think it abounds because traders saw the game as a way to make something out of nothing and see that prospect shrinking or because they have little to be happy about IRL. Personally my life is good to very good on most days. I feel quite comfortable in my skin and my life. My IRL status is far above anything I dreamed as a child. Comfortable taking my $10k plus backpack into obscurity and never making back a single dollar, because it was money well spent on entertainment :)

Cheers to the good people I've met. To all the others... I hope I won't see you in game. Slim chance anyways because most of the cancer in TF2 revolves around the trade community, of which few are avid gamers.

Here's to another 8 years of playing my favorite game for 40+ hours every week :D

• Like 3

to be honest tf2 gets boring after 6 months and a year surprised how you didn't got bored of it during those times

but cheers mate 

• Like 2

Been playing since like week 2 of the f2p update, got bored of it about a 3 weeks ago. I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Hey, think of it this way. You were able to enjoy what most traders cannot. 95% of the traders on trade servers don't even play the game for fun. I hope your interest continues.

• Like 2

Tf2 is still very enjoyable to play, although I have barely any time to play, i still play tf2 more than i use my ps4.I hope you too have a very enjoyable experience for years to come.

• Like 1

Soon as Overwatch came into my life I got extremely salty towards tf2. I realized how shitty the devs were and how shitty the updates are. Hween 2016 was my last few weeks playing tf2 for fun, so Im almost on a year of hating tf2.

But I still love trading. I love making matching sets and trading!!

So were quite opposite, @Adolf Storms

Also yeah the only reason I still care at all is to make money. So youre totally right about traders haha. Im only in this so I can maybe make enough money to get my first car.

• Like 1

I got sick of tf2 after 4 years but I took a break last year and played other games. Now I am unburnt out and love tf2 more than ever

• Like 2

I got sick of tf2 after the mess that was EOTL, and I agree with most of what you're saying. The trading community has gone from something people do for fun on the side into something people have automated and do solely without playing the game at all. Trading just isn't fun anymore once you're competing with bots and everyone is super competitive about profit. Same can be said about suggesting, where people have stopped putting out suggestions because they genuinely feel the price is incorrect and they're benefiting the economy by updating it to people making 50 suggestions a day because.....? Common sense takes second place to the rules, and people act like if you think their suggestion is incorrect you're insulting them personally (although it usually turns into that). 

In terms of the game itself, I haven't played regularly in almost three years, but I do still find it enjoyable if I take 3 months off, play it for a month, and repeat. This has become harder though with the balance changes valve are implementing which has simultaneously made the game harder to new players to get into as well as alienating more veteran players.  

• Like 3

I feel pretty much the same way.  I still play on the same community servers I've always played on, and none of the regulars there give a shit about trading, just having fun pubbing.  TF2 is still fun to play, but trading....I'm not even sure what's happening with trading anymore, it kinda just passed me by. 

Trading anything other than unusuals seems pointless now since nothing is worth more than a few dollars at most.  Then there's the fact that lower tier trading is now completely dominated by bots which I guess has its pros and cons, just not something I care to get into at this point.  

Unusual trading was always tricky and had its nasty side, but now it seems like it's just completely f***ed.   Quickbuyers are all expecting a 40-50% discount, and some variation of the line "Pure or MASSIVE overpay in items" is in every trade.  Trading obviously always had a strong profit component, but now it seems like there's only profit, nothing else.  There used to be high tier collectors who kept the high tier economy going, seems like they're all cashed out now.  

And lol@the people saying "everything is fine"  ...really, is it?  If it is, why is it that the majority of items are dropping in value?  Why is it that it's so difficult now to sell a hat worth more than 40 keys (lol, that was barely 2 buds when I started trading...)?  The economy isn't crashing, but it's declining, and it has been for a long time.  The reason is simple:  there are way too many items in game, from craft hats to unusuals and the player base isn't substantial enough to support that huge number of items.  Valve could introduce a way to reduce these items rather easily, but instead they'll keep teasing some elusive pyro or Mayan update, all the while giving us shitty updates with hats we don't want or need or work on some obscure game mode that nobody cares about.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin the Chicken God said:

Common sense takes second place to the rules, and people act like if you think their suggestion is incorrect you're insulting them personally (although it usually turns into that). 

This is true to a painful extent nowadays, particularly for the applying sales for regularly traded items business. Shit pretty much hit the floor when cares added the classifieds snapshots because people started making suggestions that were pretty bad. I stopped making suggestions because it just turned into a "you need sales" shitfest when the actual price of the item was blatantly wrong. 

On a different note, unusual trading is pretty much dead, selling a hat over ~30 keys incredibly difficult.

Edit: What really killed the game for me/my friends was MYM. Pretty much the only reason we liked tf2 was because it had the "drop in drop out" style that most other games did not have. Requiring matchmaking simply killed this

• Like 2

I come and go. Balancing out gaming time with other games helps keep them all interesting. I don't really care about the trading scenario at this point. I probably won't bother unless there is an update to try to profit. The money I cashed out really helped to buy my new computer setup.

''BP suggestors are a bunch of arrogant little whiners that think they know everything after only a few months'' 

thats a big claim

got any criticism in particular? i mean if the suggestion has wrong value, it cant be accepted

• Confused 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Happysedits said:

''BP suggestors are a bunch of arrogant little whiners that think they know everything after only a few months'' 

thats a big claim

got any criticism in particular? i mean if the suggestion has wrong value, it cant be accepted

On 8/6/2017 at 3:11 AM, Adolf Storms said:

BP mods have less sense than ever. BP suggestors are a bunch of arrogant little whiners that think they know everything after only a few months. Blatent liers and manipulators abound.

Yeah same. I'm a bit curious about these claims as well.

• Haha 1