The scammer was banned

Roonan

This is my first forum post so bear with me if I messed up topic or anything.

Yesterday, I was contacted by a false profile that was named "kamikaze." They were impersonating a relatively good trader named Kamikaze, and somehow tricked me into falling for the old "opskins bot" trick. If you have not encountered this before, be careful. I used to actually think I was invincible to scammers, but that was just a cocky attitude. The scammer gained my trust, got me to log into a website and put an item into the sales queue. I had never used the website before so I didn't know that they didn't use bots to claim the items you put for sale until they have sold. The bot came and tricked me into giving it an unusual and I only started to notice something off when this complete reject started insisting that I put my australium sniper rifle and unusual professional's panama up. It was too late and I know that I made dumb mistakes, this was the first time I ever tried selling an unusual, so I guess you can see that I am going to be pretty reluctant to do so in the future... the story does have a happy ending though! I managed to track down the scammer through the unusual's history and I was relieved to find that both the scammer and the bot were banned from backpack.tf trading. My unusual was never returned, but oh well. I am happier that my unusual is out there and the scammers are banned, than I would be if the scammers were out there and my unusual was with me.

I would like to thank anyone that helped out by reporting and -repping these scammers and any backpack.tf staff/admin that decided to help!

thank you!

unusual trading is a lot more complicated than it should be.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading this as your attitude towards this entire situation is very positive despite what that scumbag of an impersonator did. It is sad that those scammers still roam the trading community but hopefully people are able to see this and find the will to report scammers/impersonators to the proper individuals. Even the best of us have been scammed/sharked in the past but hopefully others wont fall victim. I hope that the unusual somehow finds its way back to you. Hang in there!

4 hours ago, Roonan said:

Yesterday, I was contacted by a false profile that was named "kamikaze." They were impersonating a relatively good trader named Kamikaze, and somehow tricked me into falling for the old "opskins bot" trick. If you have not encountered this before, be careful. I used to actually think I was invincible to scammers, but that was just a cocky attitude. The scammer gained my trust, got me to log into a website and put an item into the sales queue. I had never used the website before so I didn't know that they didn't use bots to claim the items you put for sale until they have sold. The bot came and tricked me into giving it an unusual and I only started to notice something off when this complete reject started insisting that I put my australium sniper rifle and unusual professional's panama up. It was too late and I know that I made dumb mistakes, this was the first time I ever tried selling an unusual, so I guess you can see that I am going to be pretty reluctant to do so in the future... the story does have a happy ending though! I managed to track down the scammer through the unusual's history and I was relieved to find that both the scammer and the bot were banned from backpack.tf trading. My unusual was never returned, but oh well. I am happier that my unusual is out there and the scammers are banned, than I would be if the scammers were out there and my unusual was with me.

I would like to thank anyone that helped out by reporting and -repping these scammers and any backpack.tf staff/admin that decided to help!

thank you!

that guy added me yesterday but I trolled him and wasted his time though

4 hours ago, Roonan said:

thank you!

that dude added me saying he was interested in my 21 key unusual which i listed for 16 keys on bp.tf and when he asked me how much i wanted to sell i said 30 keys and he said okay, so at the moment i knew he was obviously a scammer. Also rule of thumb, whenever someone gives you an offer too good to be true, it is very very likely a scam

1 hour ago, animallover said:

that guy added me yesterday but I trolled him and wasted his time though

trolling them, if you're not careful, can lead to you getting scammed

I check everyone's rep before I accept any adds and if they are a scammer I just block them. I highly recommend others do the same as well.

29 minutes ago, Apo said:

trolling them, if you're not careful, can lead to you getting scammed

yea i know but it was for a youtube vid haha besides not long ago i got scammed too 

It's not cocky to think you're invicible to scammers. Heck, I am. I know they're gonna be scammers from their very first sentence, no matter the method. Actually, you can know when someone's a scammer before you even accepted their invite. Check their profile url, make sure it matches with the actual guy (in case of an impersonator). Check if the inventory is private, check the amount of hours on TF2, check what they say on their profile and the kind of +rep they received.  For instance, a normal +rep WILL NOT just say "legit trader". If you see such comment, that's a fake account. "legit trader" -> not a legit trader. Whenever someone asks you to trade in ANY other way than regular steam direct trading or steam trade offer, you tell them to go fuck themselves, unless you specified in a trade that you want to trade for Paypal money. It's actually very easy to not get hoodwinked by scammers, it's just about understanding that nothing apart from the normal way of trading is legit.

I also spotted a "gained my trust". You sound like a genuinely good person, sadly, you can't be like that: do not trust anyone. 

3 hours ago, Mag!cGuy said:

It's not cocky to think you're invicible to scammers. Heck, I am

Yep, if it's not a straight up steam window trade, its a scam (unless paypal bs). If ANYONE ever manages to scam, i will literally give them my bank account and pin number as a prize.

I just feel sorry for new traders/players not interested in trading at all who get scammed :(

Thank you guys for not saying anything negative towards me :). I thought I was going to be ridiculed about how stupid my mistake was, but I was extremely wrong. Thank you.