Backpack Expanders

Dummy991

I noticed that if you search backpack expanders, there will be bots buying "normal" backpack expanders for 12.77ref and there will be other people buying uncraftable backpack expanders for 10ref.

Why is there a price difference, and where did these craftable backpack expanders come from? Doesn't the store only sell uncraftable backpack expanders? Were these event items or something?

I made the mistake of buying a regular ol' uncraftable backpack expander thinking I could make a profit. I'll be only losing 0.33ref for my mistake, but this seems like a good time to ask. Why is an item which is fundamentally the same worth 2.44 ref more for a quality that no one will make use of?

There are 35k uncraftable backpack expanders and 8k unique ones (don't confuse the normal quality - that's different). This rarity inflates an item's price whilst adding no usability. Take the Mann Co. Store Package ( https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Mann Co. Store Package/Tradable/Craftable ). This only grants what one can get from a random drop - it gets its value from it being an inventory showpiece as a slightly rare item - the functionality of the item doesn't matter.

As for where the craftable versions come from, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that.

17 hours ago, manic said:

As for where the craftable versions come from, I have no idea. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that.

They would come from opening Summer Starter Kits and Summer Adventure Packs. If there are other methods of getting them I can't think of them right now.

(I mean there are the ones from the Gift-Stuffed Stockings, but those are untradable.)