Stop raising the price of keys

XenSakura

It's time to stop raising the price of keys. This is insane. It's hurting the tf2 economy making even bigger gaps. It's going to be harder for scrap to unusual. Please stop trying to make keys a lot higher. It's not fun ir fair for beginning traders just so you can make more profit. Try to lower the price even.

It's actually improving the economy in some ways, now with 30 ref keys you can buy enough cosmetics for all your classes and have some left over for other shit. Keys are only $2.50 which means you can buy a all of that for $2.50.

Scrap to unusual is stupid, you're wasting your time and you should just get a job and buy yourself one.

Well convince Valve to create a viable metal sink. Metal will continue to be worthless, while keys have a set monetary value.

Keys aren't increasing in value; ref is decreasing in value. In 2013, there was something like 750,000 ref in existence and now there's 3 milli+. Additionally, why is keys costing more ref bad? How is that unfair? Way back when a key could only get you a couple of cosmetics, and today, a single key can get you a set for every class if you stretch your dollar.

1 hour ago, Tomicide said:

Scrap to unusual is stupid, you're wasting your time and you should just get a job and buy yourself one.

Spending an unrealistic amount of money for a virtual item is stupid. Seriously, how fucking retarded can one be to go and get a job with the intent to waste that money on a fucking virtual item? That's just sad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maloo said:

Spending an unrealistic amount of money for a virtual item is stupid. Seriously, how fucking retarded can one be to go and get a job with the intent to waste that money on a fucking virtual item? That's just sad.

People spend money on things they enjoy, why do people waste money on twitch subscriptions, premium/donator rank on Scrap.tf/here, why do people buy display items? etc. etc.

14 minutes ago, Maloo said:

I can get that money and even a bit extra. Also, I can think of a million physical items that are more retarded to buy then virtual items where you can get your full money worth back.

In all fairness though, if the in-game currency is devaluing it isn't a reflection of a healthy economy. It means there's less demand for the TF2 in-game items. It's understandable that ref is losing it's buying power, but craft hats and other items aren't exactly rising either. Definitely not a robust economy haha.

Lotta issues in one!

Here are my tipsy (drunk?) thoughts: 

1. Hey if someone wants to spend their money on virtual items what's it to ya??

2. No metal sink as someone already mentioned. More metal in the economy = metal becoming more and more useless

3. I know everyone wants to head on back to the "good ol' days" but I was an occasional trader back then. It wasn't as easy to turn a profit because there weren't as many resources for trading (less visibility of posting, less traders who your ads reached, less good deals to turn a profit on etc... makes for less sales!)

4. Just a caveat off of no metal sink. Remember that you are taking something that is completely useless (metal that can be made from drops in the game) and trading it for something that has an actual value (keys which have a monetary value and can be sold for real money). Why would you expect the price of this to stay the same/go down?????

TL:DR: I am tipsy and I just want to remind you that no one is trying to manipulate the economy. This is just the way it works when one resource is free and relatively unlimited. 

~Drunk Habanero out

• Love 1

There weren't raining keys in 2012, neither 2014 or now. The problem is not key price, the problem is how you will react to it. You need to adapt to 30 ref price, and don't whine about long gone 3 ref or 7 ref prices. This is history, and we have to admit that. When key was 7 refs, you could buy  5 hats. Now you can for the same price buy 22. it's 4 times more, trading is not 4 time less active, so there is pretty good hole to get your scraps. Just adapt to tendencies. there is thousands ways to get profits even from shitty start. You are whining just because you don't want to invest your few bucks, or either invest time to investigate demand and where to find your nichie to get profits. trading was not easy for lazy bums since the start of trading. If you want to get something, you have to make something which attract attention of others. There are opportunities, take them...

2 hours ago, Maloo said:

As an adult, I can say I've wasted money in far worse ways than virtual items. At least with the virtual items, I can cash out, whereas I can never un-try Taco John's Flamin' Hot Cheeto Burrito.

In any case, what you're failing to understand from that argument is not that a person should get a job, but that if a person starts from nothing, they are wasting an incredible amount of time compared to where they would be if they had simply started with a minimal initial investment. $20 is a cheap starting point (which is basically the cost of TF2 back before it went f2p when keys weren't worth much refined), as it allows a person to jump right into higher-tier trading and in terms of labor, only reflects 2-3 hours or less of actual work.

Prices people buy and sell keys at are determined by what they deem a fair trade. Bptf prices are then adjusted according to trends that are already happening. Clearly, demand for items is falling and supply is increasing. Key value remains constant.

Why should people start accepting lesser amounts for their money (keys) just so self-important traders can make a profit?

OP reeks of both ignorance and selfishness. If you can't pull off scrap to unusual, that's your fault. Don't ask people who put money into the game to shoot themselves in the foot for your gain.

3 hours ago, Maloo said:

It's a lot dumber to sit in trade servers for hours on end trying to trade when in reality you're earning a fraction of what you'd get with a job.

It makes no more sense to trade up to virtual items than to buy with money. Tradr because you enjoy it, not for profit. The profit yields were never too lucrative.

7 hours ago, Master of the Hellish Yard said:

In all fairness though, if the in-game currency is devaluing it isn't a reflection of a healthy economy. It means there's less demand for the TF2 in-game items. It's understandable that ref is losing it's buying power, but craft hats and other items aren't exactly rising either. Definitely not a robust economy haha.

This is true, but only for refined metal, the low-tier currency. This game has two currencies: keys and refined metal. The refined metal economy is not healthy: everyone is printing money (weapon drops), and the currency has almost no intrinsic value. Who wouldn't expect rampant inflation? On the other hand, keys are backed by the US Dollar (stable...for now), and have a high intrinsic value. The value of almost every high-tier item is directly tied to the value of keys, since the only way to get most of those items is unboxing. As long as people want to buy unusuals, keys will keep their value.

Craft hats are tied to the value of refined metal, since by definition a craft hat is a hat that most people don't want to wear, so its only use is for crafting, and sellers of craft hats must price them less than 2 for 3 refined (obviously some people like certain craft hats and do wear them, but most people don't like most craft hats). Other items are rising, have a look at this: https://backpack.tf/suggestion/509d1cb1ba25367b08000000. You don't see any 1 scrap stranges anymore, do you? The minimum value of stranges at the moment is ~1.55, because stranges, like higher tier items, are tied to keys, not refined metal.

As Refined drops, Keys rise. It's what happens in an economy. If both rose at once, everything would be inflated.

More people are realizing there's less to do with Refined than there is with Keys, so more people want Keys, thus dropping the price of Refined.

17 hours ago, Maloo said:

Because actually taking the ridiculous amount of time to do a scrap to unusual is more "fucking retarded" than just buying it outright. It took me about 40 hours of trading to do my scrap to unusual. Yet you could've done the same at a minimum wage job in 3 hours. 

Time is money, and scrap to unusuals are expensive.