Sargon of Akkad was called a "garbage human" by Anita Sarkeesian at VidCon

Discovery

Last Friday at VidCon, while talking about harassment on a panel, feminist advocate Anita Sarkeesian pointed out that YouTuber Sargon of Akkad (real name Carl Benjamin), who was in attendance, was one of the reasons why women are harassed online, saying:

“If you google my name on YouTube you get shitheads like this dude who are making these dumbass videos that just say the same shit over and over againBut the fact that these dudes are making endless videos going after every feminist over and over and over again I think is a part of the issue. Why do we have these conversations? We don’t just get to be online. We don’t just get to participate like everyone else.”

source: https://heatst.com/gaming/feminist-anita-sarkeesian-calls-youtuber-sargon-of-akkad-a-garbage-human-during-vidcon-panel/

After that, Sargon posted this video in which he demands that Anita be removed from yesterday's Cyberbullying Panel. I have not heard any news from either one of them regarding yesterday's events yet. 

As a fan of Sargon and a vocal opposer to the brand of feminism that Anita advocates for, you could probably already tell what my reaction was. But I'd like to know what are your thoughts on this.

• Like 2

Don't you find it a bit ironic that someone who gets upset by someone else being forcibly removed from a conference or public speaking event is themselves demanding that someone be removed from an event?

• Like 2

Sargon just proved her point by not addressing the online harassment  that many women face regardless of the issue they choose to voice , if being called a "garbage human" offends you , then please open your eyes and have a look at real harassment that goes on against feminists from name calling to rape threats to death threats. 

If being called garbage human is abuse , then let me ask you, which utopia are you coming from ?

9 hours ago, Geel said:

Don't you find it a bit ironic that someone who gets upset by someone else being forcibly removed from a conference or public speaking event is themselves demanding that someone be removed from an event?

No. Unless, when you say: "irony" you mean: "satirical irony."

I'm not exactly sure how Sargon meant that (probably satirical), but he is most definitely playing by their rules.

Show them how stupid (and hypocritical) their ideology is by replicating it, and using it against them (satirical or not.)

Disclaimer: I dont like Sarkeesian. I also don't have any strong feelings one way or another to Sargon. Haven't really watched much of his stuff.

My opinion on this matter is not influenced by Anita's gender, but rather, her fallacious thinking.

"Why do we have these conversations? We don’t just get to be online. We don’t just get to participate like everyone else.”

What..?

If I'm understanding this correctly.. She wants to be an activist, start discussion, and then when people want to partake in said discussion (give criticism), she will complain that she wants to be left alone about the things she's an "activist" for, and to leave politics out of her online experience..? WTF???

IIRC Anita's "Job" is to be an "Activist." She had a kickstarter/gofundme/whatever for exactly that.

If you are a heckin' activist, you should be fine having discussion about the topics you are an activist for.

I believe that Activists should be held responsible for things that they say. When Anita spews completely false bullshit about how certain games are misogynistic, she should get called out on it. (See: Video below. She completely misrepresents the game.) Being called out on your bullshit, is not the Patriarchy trying to oppress you. It is not unfair. It is Karma.

Anita is an activist, which means, she gives criticism. She believes that the people she gives criticism to should accept her criticism, and respect her.

When someone does the same to her, she calls them a "shithead" and a "garbage human," and ignores their input, labeling them as a misogynist, while disrespecting them.

Anita, you're a hypocrite.

---

TL;DR Criticism ≠ Misogyny.

Activists, male or female, should expect criticism.

If you can't deal with criticism, don't be an activist. Its literally in the job description.

Bonus DLC:

"But the fact that these dudes (aka shitheads) are making endless videos going after every feminist over and over and over again I think is a part of the issue. "

??? So.. "Criticizing public figures is misogynistic, if said person happens to be a woman." No possible way that any of them use fallacious reasoning, or posses different points of view.

But.. Calling you (a paying customer of the event I'm attending,) a "shithead" in a public setting.. (at my job, the aforementioned event) That's professional.

Stay classy Anita, you "shithead." (That's fair game now, right?)

Edited by Apo
Cleaned up post, clarified a few things. Post was made on mobile, so it was sloppy.

9 hours ago, Geel said:

-snip-

Are you talking about Sargon? If so, 

agasg.jpg.80724d44ea9cb620e880a14c74e1bb6c.jpg

Jk. If you were talking about Sargon, I addressed in the paragraphs below.

4 hours ago, Scrub said:

Sargon just proved her point by not addressing the online harassment  that many women face regardless of the issue they choose to voice , if being called a "garbage human" offends you , then please open your eyes and have a look at real harassment that goes on against feminists from name calling to rape threats to death threats. 

If being called garbage human is abuse , then let me ask you, which utopia are you coming from ?

Honestly, I don't think being called a "garbage human" offended him. In fact, judging from the shitposts on Twitter he made after all that happened, I think he was amused.

Unrelated: Sargon was hacked on Twitter a few hours after this happened.

Don't get me wrong as a fan of Sargon. When I first heard about what happened, I found his actions a bit hypocritical. However, if you watch the end of the video I linked, Sargon included a clip of Anita talking to the UN about harassment. In it, she states that harassment isn't merely threats of violence, but also insults like "you're a liar" or "you suck." Here's a news article in case I'm called out for quote-mining or Sargon gets accused of taking her out of context:

“I think it's important to recognize that harassment is, as someone had mentioned, it’s not just what is legal and illegal. Harassment is threats of violence, but it’s also the day-to-day grind of ‘you’re a liar, you suck,’ making all of these hate videos to attack us on a regular basis,”
Source: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/zachary-leshin/un-report-cyber-touch-harmful-women-and-girls-physical-touch

Basically, he's using HER OWN STANDARD against her. I don't agree that what happened to Sargon is harassment, but if you take into account Anita's standard of what harassment is, then you'll find that she's being hypocritical. This shows not only hypocrisy, but also inconsistency on Anita's part. She cannot live up to even her own twisted, radical feminist redefinition of what harassment is. How the hell can we take her seriously?

To be honest, there are some perspectives in which I can find Sargon to be hypocritical, but I cannot possibly look at this situation in another way in which Anita isn't being hypocritical. The cherry on top is that Anita was in a panel speaking against online harassment, and the next day she was supposed to be in a panel about cyberbullying. 

Is this enough for Sargon to demand her removal from VidCon? Hell no. However, while I still standby that what happened was NOT harassment, Anita did violate the VidCon Code of Conduct, which does justify Sargon's demand for her removal. 

"It is vital to us that VidCon is a safe place for all attendees. VidCon is a private event and people who mistreat or disrespect other people will be removed and not allowed for the duration of the event. VidCon reserves the right to permanently ban attendees and guests who do not comply with the code of conduct, including for future events put on by VidCon LLC."

Source: https://tinyurl.com/y8quw8ym

The entire on-line feminazi/anti-feminazi discussion has gone hell a long time ago already.

As far as I'm concerned, both are just trying to fuel their cult of personality, opposite to having a civil discorse. Yes, even Sargon - because he admitted it on-line, that he knew that him going there would be provocative.

So, as far as I'm concerned, screw 'm both.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:58 PM, Scrub said:

if being called a "garbage human" offends you , then please open your eyes and have a look at real harassment that goes on against feminists from name calling to rape threats to death threats. 

I don't think Sargon was offended about being called a garbage human, from what I heard in that video it's obvious he is trying to show the blatant hypocrisy that Anita exhibits, that was the whole point of the video. In the video he states that VidCon policy is there is no harassment or demeaning language allowed to be portrayed to the guests. He's pointing out the fact that Anita considers a large swath of things to be classified as harassment, while simultaneously doing the same things she proposes to speak out against. That was the purpose of the video.

It was clear that Sargon was not identifying "garbage human" as an abusive term, but he was clarifying that Anita would consider it as harassment.