Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woifi The Viking

Suggesters Etiquette

Woifi The Viking    1887
Woifi The Viking

I care about Backpack.tf's image, that's why our rules and Price Suggestions should be logical and transparent, not only to people from our community but also to outsiders.

But what if your first contact with Price Suggestions is people dropping your item by a good amount and when you try to defend it you get remarks about having no idea how any of this works?

This guide is aimed at you Price Suggesters, it should be a reminder that not everyone visiting Suggestions is familiar with the rules or our pricing guides.

• Be friendly: Even if the other party is not friendly, starting a flame war is not the way to go (and against the rules), try to respond cool and collected.
  • Be respectful: Towards other people, and towards their items. If you start a suggestion with: "This piece of shit hat cancer deserves a huge drop LOL" then that doesn't look good.
  • Try to think from the other persons perspectiveYou know all the rules and twists already, they most likely don't, try to educate them without acting elitist.
  • Don't use suggestions as a tool for revenge or targeting a specific userWhile not against the rule per se it's not something I like to see. Again it puts you and Bp.tf in a bad light. Be subtle and avoid if possible. Even if it's not your intention don't be surprised when they call you out on it. On the other hand don't jump to conclusions and accusations too hasty, sometimes when people do a mini train they end up updating a couple hats from the same person.
  • Don't raise your own items all the timeIf most of your suggestions are raising your own items that doesn't look good either to many outside people. Especially if you start them with "Manipulation, Owns 1 8D". Especially if those Suggestions are wrong cause you didn't check for other sales.
  • Don't be super lazy: Just posting a link to a closed Suggestion, or copy pasting without bothering to fix wrong numbers or sales, or doing really poor research also doesn't paint you or the site in a good picture. Also try to give your Suggestions some format so that outside people can understand them better.
  • Give others credit and don't counter too early: If someone spends their time making a suggestion (even if it might not be perfect) or posting links in the forums, the least you can do is credit them for their work. Also give people a couple hours to resuggest. And remember, maybe you dont care yourself if other people counter your suggestion or "steal" your proof, but others might very well care.

These are not a new set of rules or anything, it's just something I want you guys to pay attention to, and maybe try to consider more because you are interested in Backpack.tfs image as well. Especially experienced Suggesters should set an example for new one. If there is anything else you wanna add to this or discuss feel free to leave a comment.

Erik    491
Erik

Would also like to add a few notes.

• Don't leave unnecessary comments. I often have people commenting 'lel hat so overpriced xd good drop imma buy xd' and it's just really unnecessary in my opinion.
  • Format. I think it's easier to read through suggestions where all the sales have proper calculations instead of a sale including multiple hats and the suggester just saying '120' and go figure out the rest by yourself. I think a summary or a final conclusion about why you picked a certain range is also very handy. Make some spaces between sales, tell the hats involved and their values (or mini's) and make a proper lay out.

Teeny Tiny Cat    2526
Teeny Tiny Cat

Nice job Woifi.

Don't leave unnecessary comments. I often have people commenting 'lel hat so overpriced xd good drop imma buy xd' and it's just really unnecessary in my opinion.

While I agree that it's not necessary, I don't particularly have a problem with it either. We'll only be tough on spam comments if they mask constructive commentary, eg., on key suggestions.

Format. I think it's easier to read through suggestions where all the sales have proper calculations instead of a sale including multiple hats and the suggester just saying '120' and go figure out the rest by yourself. I think a summary or a final conclusion about why you picked a certain range is also very handy. Make some spaces between sales, tell the hats involved and their values (or mini's) and make a proper lay out.

Agree with this.

=TNW= Maximus™    85
=TNW= Maximus™

Would also like to add a few notes.

Don't leave unnecessary comments. I often have people commenting 'lel hat so overpriced xd good drop imma buy xd' and it's just really unnecessary in my opinion.

There's a fine line between banter with your fellow suggesters and "unnecessary" comments. But yes, many comments are unnecessary. 

Happysedits    676
Happysedits
  • Don't raise your own items all the timeIf half of your suggestions are raising your own items that doesn't look good either with many outside people. Especially if you start them with "Manipulation, Owns 1 8D". It also looks bad if those Suggestions are wrong cause you didn't check for other sales.

I mean, how do you prevent this? If proof is correct and the suggestion is valid, you can't stop that, can you?

• tell the hats involved and their values (or mini's) and make a proper lay out.

Yeah, I've been sometimes not doing this, i agree ill change it now 

Teeny Tiny Cat    2526
Teeny Tiny Cat

I mean, how do you prevent this? If proof is correct and the suggestion is valid, you can't stop that, can you?

Google the word "etiquette" :P

This is not a rules thread.

Apo    810
Apo

Often times I will create a suggestion for an item I buy/sell, either raising it, or lowering it, based on my most recent sale, and others(if they exist).

I see nothing wrong (etiquette-wise) for creating a suggestion, that raises the price of a hat you own. As long as it has proper proof (no cherry picking, etc.)

The alternative would be to ask someone else to suggest with the same sales, which makes no difference.

Now, if you only raise your own items, and never lower them (even with proof to lower,) that would be poor etiquette.

Also, if you stalk the histories of items you own, looking for sales, to raise your items.. That would also be poor etiquette.

I disagree that raising your own items 50% of the time is poor etiquette, especially if the other 50% is lowering your own items.

Barakuba    46
Barakuba

Well now that you bring up rules...

is the >5% rule still a thing? I feel like I saw a post from an mod saying it wasn't anymore, but I can't remember :P

Woifi The Viking    1887
Woifi The Viking

Often times I will create a suggestion for an item I buy/sell, either raising it, or lowering it, based on my most recent sale, and others(if they exist).

I see nothing wrong (etiquette-wise) for creating a suggestion, that raises the price of a hat you own. As long as it has proper proof (no cherry picking, etc.)

The alternative would be to ask someone else to suggest with the same sales, which makes no difference.

Now, if you only raise your own items, and never lower them (even with proof to lower,) that would be poor etiquette.

Also, if you stalk the histories of items you own, looking for sales, to raise your items.. That would also be poor etiquette.

I disagree that raising your own items 50% of the time is poor etiquette, especially if the other 50% is lowering your own items.

Well if you are also lowering your own items a good amount thats fine. It's more aimed at people never dropping their own hats and slightly cherrypicking proof for raising their own.

Also its less poor etiquette but more that outside people will find it suspicious.

HarryG    1253
HarryG

I'm still gonna raise my Milkmans whenever I buy them. B(

Yeah, I don't have friends, who will suggest on my stuff otherwise

Woifi The Viking    1887
Woifi The Viking

Added another point about crediting others and letting them resuggest. Some people care a lot about that even if you don't.

Also regarding using your own sales: If you mostly raise your own items it will never look good to an outsider, I'm just sheding light on that. If you are pricing unpriced items it shouldn't matter as much or if you are also dropping your own items at the same time.

Barakuba    46
Barakuba

Added another point about crediting others and letting them resuggest. Some people care a lot about that even if you don't.

Also regarding using your own sales: If you mostly raise your own items it will never look good to an outsider, I'm just sheding light on that. If you are pricing unpriced items it shouldn't matter as much or if you are also dropping your own items at the same time.

yeah but no one most people aren't going to drop the prices of their own items :P