Backpack.tf Advertising for Virus application

Barakuba

Hi. I was browsing through Backpack.tf when I came across this advertisement:post-28667-0-85331900-1493420604_thumb.png

Mackeeper is known for being an disreputable application, whose owners are at the very least dishonest, and at the most providers of malware and viruses. There are pages and pages of websites detailing Mackeeper and the viruses that have come with it. I am wondering why this ad is being run on Backpack.tf. If any of my comments are inaccurate or misinformed, please let me know. I also recognize that Backpack.tf may source out its advertisement slots to another company, who in turn sells the space for advertisements. I'm honestly interested in the answer and would just like to say this ad doesn't diminish my appreciation for the service Backpack.tf provides.

P.S Here is a link to one more neutral blogger on the subject, who touches less on the question of virus and more on the shady business practices: http://www.thesafemac.com/ongoing-mackeeper-fraud/. 

• Like 2

Hey at least its not a overwatch ad.

On a seriouse note, I think the second thing you said about bp.tf selling the spot to a company who then sold it to anoher group who put up those ads cause in no way do I see how and why brad would accualy put any of that nasty stuff on bp.tf

• Like 2

It not so much a virus, as it is malware. Also it's not bp purposely posting it, they allow an advertising company to use their website as a billboard for whoever pays for ads. And in return bp gets some money if we click the ads.

• Like 1

I will ask brad if he can block that ad somehow, please keep in mind tho that we dont have control over what ads are displayed, but we can request to not display certain ads anymore I think.

I will ask brad if he can block that ad somehow, please keep in mind tho that we dont have control over what ads are displayed, but we can request to not display certain ads anymore I think.

Thank you. I believed this to be the case (that Backpack.tf was subletting ad space to another company), but I wanted to make sure.