General Military Topic

Chilled Soda

Just a few questions for members of the military, ex-members, or people in general.

For Military people:

1. Did your military experience help you in terms of confidence?
  2. Did your military experience teach you much that you can apply to every day life?
  3. Would you say your military experience was positive or negative?
  4. Would you agree with a forced service in the military?

For non-Military people:

1. Have you ever considered joining the military?
  2. If so, what stopped you?
  3. Would you agree with a forced service in the military.

This thread is probably phrased like shit, but long story short I am just wondering if the military is beneficial in terms of discipline/confidence, or did those things go away the second you left the military

For non-Military people:

1. No

2. Not applicable

3. No, "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction" (Section 1 of the 13th Amendment).

Edit: I don't agree with a lot of the U.S. Constitution, including Article 1 Section 8, which seems to, in my unprofessional opinion, violate the 13th amendment.

For non-Military people:

1. No I wouldn't voluntarily try to join the army, and I would probably try to avoid it as well when it becomes an obligation.

2. I am not patriotic and do not feel the need to die for 'my country'.

3. No I would not agree to that.

Reminds me of a quote from a GTA IV character.

''War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.''

Just a few questions for members of the military, ex-members, or people in general.

For Military people:

2. Did your military experience teach you much that you can apply to every day life?

For non-Military people:

This thread is probably phrased like shit, but long story short I am just wondering if the military is beneficial in terms of discipline/confidence, or did those things go away the second you left the military

1. Nah.

2. The big issue is that I'm anti-war to the core, and pretty pissed that both major US parties are hawks. I'm a liberal but I wish the American left was represented by an antiwar party.

3. As a US citizen legally registered as male, I'm required to sign up for selective service. But let this be known: if Trump or any following president brings back the draft, I'm dodging it no matter the consequences.

I know that some Scandinavian countries have brief mandatory military service once people come of age, but that's a whole different situation than the US. Those militaries are largely a formality, and it's just to instill virtue in people and teach some life skills before sending citizens back to their lives. But the US military is so different, because it's so heavily funded and actively used, with troops on the ground in over a hundred countries. Instead of a ceremonial service to instill morals, it's a death machine that bleeds taxpayer money as well as young lives.

For non-Military people:

1. Not really

2. I'm not very patriotic, always felt like a waste to die for something I dont care about

3. Same as Soma, I'm a man in the U.S. and above 18 so I can be drafted. I think it could work in some countries, like Israel where it's needed or in Switzerland where it creates a nationwide militia, as well as providing free gun safety lessons throughout the country, but I would disagree with it in a country as prone to war as the U.S..

I've had friends go to the armed forces and I can say with confidence they've definitely come out more disciplined and respected, however there are various issues that come with military service that outweigh this imo

For Military people:

My personal experience may not be typical, but from my point of view military service was not a healthy contributor to my life. I recieved an OTH discharge, which was later diagnosed as being a result of PTSD and is still under review years later with the possibility of a general discharge after the outcome of that (if it ever happens). So I may be a little bitter... but here's my 2 cents;

1. No. Quite the opposite

2. Some.

3. Negative

4. Nope

I spend a lot of my days playing FPS games, which my psychologist seems to think helps me cope with my PTSD, so maybe that's one perk to post-military service lol

• Like 2

Kinda late but oh well.

For non-Military people:

1. No.

2. I don't want to die, especially for something like oil or to clean up foreign relations my president fucked up. It'd be different if the war was on US soil but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

3. I wouldn't like it, but I think people would be a lot more thoughtful about jumping into unnecessary wars if they didn't know if they/their kids would be drafted. Frankly I think any member of Congress that votes to go to war should be required to send their own kids if they feel so strongly about it. To them, they're just wars of luxury. By a simple vote, they can send off other peoples' kids to die without having to care about how it affects their own families.

Frankly I think any member of Congress that votes to go to war should be required to send their own kids if they feel so strongly about it.

... Is that your genuine opinion? Why in the world should their children be sent to war with their only connection being their parent voting for the war? Guilt by association is fucked.

• Like 1

... Is that your genuine opinion? Why in the world should their children be sent to war with their only connection being their parent voting for the war? Guilt by association is fucked.

If they're willing to send my kids off to die for their interests they should be willing to send their own. If they feel that strongly that we should be meddling with other countries in the Middle East or anywhere else then they should put their money where their mouth is. I doubt they'd be so willing to jump into these messes they create if they knew their own family members might have to go.

For non-Military people:

1. No, I haven't considered it ever in my life.

2. My mind

3. Yes, aslong as my belongings aren't taken whilst I'm gone fighting for a war.