Why are screenshots considered imperative proof?

Axle Change

This has been something that has been bothering me a lot lately. I mean, anyone with a brain can edit the html of trade histories easily, and many low-tier trades are untraceable, yet any time someone screenshots a trade its considered valid with no other discussion. I can understand why this is needed for classifieds, but it seems questionable to accept the current form of screenshots as proof.

Example of a screenshot that could be edited being used as main proof?

EDIT: Screenshots CAN be changed, doesn't mean they always are.

Example of a screenshot that could be edited being used as main proof?

EDIT: Screenshots CAN be changed, doesn't mean they always are.

I fully agree with the original post, and think that you completely missed the point.

What other proof could you provide if you don't trust a screenshot are super paranoid about screenshots being edited and compare links leave out stuff?

• Like 2

Screens can be iffy, but usually atleast one half of the trade shows up on the compare, so screens are usually just supportive.

But if we are talking editing paypal transactions etc there is nothing you can do unless the other party rats them out (Ravenholm)

what better alternatives are there? Gaming the system is, and always has been, fairly easy if you really want to do it. Screenshots and verbal confirmation from the buyer and seller are both probably the most secure ways to confirm a trade, but if you don't want an item priced it doesn't take a whole lot to get the buyer/seller to just lie to anyone inquiring about the sale

Screens can be iffy, but usually atleast one half of the trade shows up on the compare, so screens are usually just supportive.

But if we are talking editing paypal transactions etc there is nothing you can do unless the other party rats them out (Ravenholm)

I think it's more the other way around (compare link is supportive of screenshot) but eh

can you really edit HTML of the trade histories page in the steam app? :o

(I'm not a techy guy at all so got no idea how that stuff works)

I fully agree with the original post, and think that you completely missed the point.

I think so too

What other proof could you provide if you don't trust a screenshot are super paranoid about screenshots being edited and compare links leave out stuff?

It's not necessarily screenshots themselves that are the issue but that we don't have strict rules regulating them at all. The easiest solution I could think of would be to require them to be screenshots in the steam client, which would require photo editing to fake and at least be somewhat more difficult.