De-extinction. What are you thoughts?

Chief D

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's your position?

• For
    • Against
    • Neutral
    • Doggy

I agree that the main reason of this may be simple curiosity, but the outcome of this kind of experimenting may be different than what everyone expects. 

For instance, the transmissible cancer on the faces of Tasmanian devils is thought to be caused by a single gene. That gene can be silenced in a generation of the animals released to the wild. The cancer would disappear in the wild soon after, because the immune animals won't transmit it, and animals with the immunity will out-reproduce the susceptible until the entire population is immune.

Transmitting this to humans may be "impractical", but, as I said, the outcome of this may be different. I wouldn't like "de-extinction" to go wrong, but also I'm against stopping science if there's a possible good outcome. (Nuclear bombs, nuclear power)

• 2 weeks later...

I am neutral on this whole thing.

I think though there is a reason why species before our time died away. Bringing them back may be scientifically beneficial, but if the animals were to escape for example, then a whole mess would happen.

let me point this out:

if they can survive so well, then why are they extinct? 

I mean, I know some were unfairly killed by a meteor or something, but most of the others

let me point this out:

if they can survive so well, then why are they extinct? 

I mean, I know some were unfairly killed by a meteor or something, but most of the others

Mammoth, thylacine, passenger pidgeon and I think also dodos, got extinct because of the indiscriminate way people used to hunt them. Some, according to some researchers, had a very important role on some ecosystems.

I'm against it I guess. It would be cool to see animals from years ago. But let the dead rest we already ruined their lives into death of their whole species. Instead of trying to bring back some animals from extinction we should be trying to keep those already endangered from going extinct. Humanity is going to make too much of a push when all we need is to address our current problems.

also

Chief be careful you know that the tf2 community is one of those most thriving with us "Ponyfags"

c:

v Sig-signature *cough*

If it's possible, it will happen, no matter what.

What a shallow perspective u have.  Do you have any idea what the culture of the 60's thought we would be living like now?  Ever see the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey or 2010 the sequel.  They envisioned that we would be in deep space now.  That idea was based on the progress of the space program up to that point.  Cost/benefit shelved further progress in the program as it will here.

What a shallow perspective u have.

lol, I'm not even going to defend my opinion, nor do I feel the need to explain why you are wrong and your comparison is hilarious.

You obviously didn't comprehend what I actually said.

More on point, I think it is a waste of scientific resources.  Consider that as it pertains to this, we can learn more from the species that have survived then those that did not and what we would learn from them, we learn from why they didn't survive.

More on point, I think it is a waste of scientific resources. Consider that as it pertains to this, we can learn more from the species that have survived then those that did not and what we would learn from them, we learn from why they didn't survive.

Believe me, there are worse examples of resources being wasted.

Sunk costs should be ignored, and I still stand by my position that this area of research, while it may provide some interesting results, is not cost-efficient.
If a private company or business feels like funding it, then by all means go ahead, but federal funds should not be used.

Sunk costs should be ignored, and I still stand by my position that this area of research, while it may provide some interesting results, is not cost-efficient.

If a private company or business feels like funding it, then by all means go ahead, but federal funds should not be used.

That's not the debate. The debate is whether or not it should be done, and you seem to agree. ("go ahead")

Believe me, there are worse examples of resources being wasted.

That is always the case.  Although, it is the case that any G expenditure is good for the economy.  Some just better than others.

Ok,here is the pro argument.

A corporation builds a zoo of long extinct animals because it may be profitable.  This is helpful for us all because it advances genetic research on private money along with any public/donated funds currently being allocated by society.

Con

We have just made some genetic research the property of a private corporation and have lost the benefit that may have been derived from it.  Additionally, we have set a precedent of private control of this, possibly, vital information. 

I believe that isn't possible to avoid as the government has already spent money in the field of genetic research and has a stake in this project by the sheer fact of being a partner in the research leading up to it.

Archived