To Root or not to Root....

AwesomeMcCoolName

I've got a Droid Razr Maxx, and as of late i've been considering rooting it, but not really sure if its worthwhile......

Are there any real benefits aside from over clocking (which would trash my battery/potentially burn out the cpu), getting rid of ads (which isn't all that annoying), and being able to delete the crap that comes pre-installed?

Care to share some good Roms? (and some of the better ones/what they do)....

One of the most annoying things i found when i was looking into it, was that noone ever explained wat the ROM actually did...

ROM is basically a modified version of Android, the most popular one is CyanogenMod.

ROMs often let you experience new versions of OS long before the manufacturer releases the update.

Basically with huge community like that, there is always someone that will port newest version to your device.

Just look at the old good HTC G1, running new versions of Android.

Some ROMs also add new features, huge ones like ParanoidAndroid's hybrid engine that lets you change layout per-app, so you can enjoy tablet apps on your phone, or little ones, like circle battery indicator.

Some of the ROMs focus on speed and stability, basically throwing out all the garbage and bloatware, and using various tweaks to the kernel and OS, so you get a small package with blazing fast software.

That's about it for short summary about what's a ROM.

If I understand correctly, Droid Razr MAXX is just a Droid Razr, but with bigger battery, right?

So you can find plenty of kernels/ROMs and stuff over here at xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1363

• 2 weeks later...

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Spyder_Info here is a good one that is officially supported for the MAXX. 

I recommend going through rootzwiki or xda or AndroidAuthority and doing research before hand though. It would really suck to end up with a paperweight. 

As for some roms - Cyanogen 10.1, Miui, AOSP are some pretty good ones.

Link to xda for maxx android dev forum

• 2 months later...

I didn't root my Galaxy S because it works fine as is and the "benefits" of having a custom OS or theme isn't enough to justify rooting for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

has a secure phone

roots it

*facepalm*

There is a reason that "cool app #1338" should not have root access. With an unrooted android system the worst that could happen is an app calling a premiumnumber if you dont read the apps persmissions. So unless you screw it up, you are safe.

If I had an extra it wouldnt stop me from rooting though ;)

I rooted mine to get rid of sense and go to vanilla android, or at least close enough to it. The only reason.

Once the google galaxy s4 releases i wont be rooting it because it already has exactly what I want, vanilla android.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the regular Galaxy S4. I probably should have waited for the Google version, but hey, I got it for $82.

nice :) :) :)

Archived