Scammer List

Arcslayer

These days it seems like It's impossible to get to rank 1000 or under without getting contacted by a scammer.  We have a list for top BPs, why not a list for all known scammers?  As it stands scammers are getting smarter about hyperlinking their steam profile pages to profile they are impersonating.  A list of known banned users and scammers could possibly help users to block scammers before they even try to contact them.

What I worry about is that this could be used to frame rivals and destroy trust in the community.  Also would this be considered unethical "name and shame"?  Lastly I've looked on steamrep but maybe it's my inexperience but I can't find any lists there.  I'd love to hear what the veterans on the forums have to say about this idea and it's implications :)

-Accounts already banned so people would see the red tag. If they can't see it then probably they wouldn't even see this list

-Many, many not active scammers, but banned for doing it earlier

-The whole list would be very very long

-They're still making new accounts 

-Tons of private profiles

-etc

All true, which is why I was considering getting a team of programmers together to write a companion app that would work with steam to automatically block scammers as they are banned.  

That said I can see this concept being way, way way too easy to abuse :(

These days it seems like It's impossible to get to rank 1000 or under without getting contacted by a scammer.  We have a list for top BPs, why not a list for all known scammers?  As it stands scammers are getting smarter about hyperlinking their steam profile pages to profile they are impersonating.  A list of known banned users and scammers could possibly help users to block scammers before they even try to contact them.

What I worry about is that this could be used to frame rivals and destroy trust in the community.  Also would this be considered unethical "name and shame"?  Lastly I've looked on steamrep but maybe it's my inexperience but I can't find any lists there.  I'd love to hear what the veterans on the forums have to say about this idea and it's implications :)

Just do background checks?

Who cares what profile link they send you/is on their profile, you can easily get the real link from steam.

Just do background checks?

Who cares what profile link they send you/is on their profile, you can easily get the real link from steam.

Not sure if troll, but you're missing the point.  The idea is to make any scamming account on backpack.tf worthless.  The more time and money a scammer has to spend setting up, or buying a new account that looks even remotely "legitimate", the less time they would be scamming.  Would it be more work?  Obviously, but our current anti-scam system hasn't changed much in the last year, and I like the idea of introducing new ways to make it harder for scammers to do business.

Second of course this wouldn't get rid of background checks.  This would just add one more little tool that you could use to lock them out in the cold.

Condensed version-Scammers suck, so let's give them a wall of shame.

The only way scammers trade with legit people, is that those legit people do not do a single background check, nor on steamrep, backpack.tf or Outpost. When that happens, these legit people get temporarily banned, as it happened to me once. Trust me, you never forget once again to check after that. Such feature is not needed. Copying the link of the person you're dealing with in steamrep is super easy and fast, no need to put a ton of work into something that has 0 added value.

The only way scammers trade with legit people, is that those legit people do not do a single background check, nor on steamrep, backpack.tf or Outpost.

Lol cute. You obviously do not know the black market at all. You have no clue how many "legit" traders trader with scammers. We don't have just a marked account, we have tons of accounts that aren't marked. Steamrep and BP. Tf are honestly useless, they can try but you will never get rid of us. As long as there are buyers for our items, we will never stop, simple as that.

Lol cute. You obviously do not know the black market at all. You have no clue how many "legit" traders trader with scammers. We don't have just a marked account, we have tons of accounts that aren't marked. Steamrep and BP. Tf are honestly useless, they can try but you will never get rid of us. As long as there are buyers for our items, we will never stop, simple as that.

Funny how the guy is proud to be a scumbag and does specify scamming is his ever-lasting business.

• Like 2