So, I was accused of sharking.

ninjakn

Hey guys, I just made a trade, a Green Energy Elf Esteem for a Duped Sunbeams Handyman's Handle. I was accused of sharking for this trade. I just want to see your guys opinions, so please read and comment.

I was on the Vatican City Unusual Trade server, and I saw this guy selling his handyman's handle. I decided to offer him my elf esteem + 4 keys, not yet knowing his was duped. So, he agrees to the trade, and we accept the trade. Before i confirm on mobile authenticator , though, i look at his items history and see it is duped. I trade him again, and ask him if he'd be willing to one for one, as i didn't know his hat was duped. He said ok again, and we did the trade. A few minutes after we do the trade, he sends me a trade request. He says that he believes i have sharked him, and he asks for a tradeback. I say no, as i never have, and never will, do tradebacks. He threatens to get me marked, but i stand my ground and say no. He then tells the server that i sharked him, and tells what happened. Some people were on his side, and some were on mine. I just decided to post this story here to see a broader opinion.

Thanks for reading, please tell me your opinion in the comments. Do you think this qualifies as a shark or not?

First, sharks are no longer marked by Steamrep. They will only get banned here on backpack.tf or Outpost.

And second, that trade isn't close to a shark. Assuming that the story you are telling is right, the guy just wants to get his stuff back because he regrets doing the trade. The Elf is unpriced, but PE is at 25.5 keys. If anything, it's just a bad deal on his side.

Hey guys, I just made a trade, a Green Energy Elf Esteem for a Duped Sunbeams Handyman's Handle. I was accused of sharking for this trade. I just want to see your guys opinions, so please read and comment.

I was on the Vatican City Unusual Trade server, and I saw this guy selling his handyman's handle. I decided to offer him my elf esteem + 4 keys, not yet knowing his was duped. So, he agrees to the trade, and we accept the trade. Before i confirm on mobile authenticator , though, i look at his items history and see it is duped. I trade him again, and ask him if he'd be willing to one for one, as i didn't know his hat was duped. He said ok again, and we did the trade. A few minutes after we do the trade, he sends me a trade request. He says that he believes i have sharked him, and he asks for a tradeback. I say no, as i never have, and never will, do tradebacks. He threatens to get me marked, but i stand my ground and say no. He then tells the server that i sharked him, and tells what happened. Some people were on his side, and some were on mine. I just decided to post this story here to see a broader opinion.

Thanks for reading, please tell me your opinion in the comments. Do you think this qualifies as a shark or not?

A great deal for you? Yes. A bad trade for him? Yes. 

Did you mislead him/misrepresent the value of your/his items? No.

Was it his fault that he had all the information present and still made a bad trade? Yes.

In conclusion, did you shark? Unless you left out/lied about details, no.

If anybody disagrees with you they're probably misinformed/just plain dumb. This isn't sharking.

EDIT: You can like your own comments?! Awesome.

Yeah this is nowhere close to a shark, if you really want to see a shark, check out Loaferman's bp from a couple months back, top kek.

No but seriously, it's just a kid whining about getting a cancer hat for his semi-cancer hat. Like, the dude's missing some brain cells; don't lose yours over this, you did the right thing and made a quick buck. :)

Assuming your story is true, you gave them an offer and they accepted, simple as that.

You didn't manipulate them or anything.

They obviously go the shittier end of the trade but you didn't do anything that would make you a shark.

Yeah this is nowhere close to a shark, if you really want to see a shark, check out Loaferman's bp from a couple months back, top kek.

No but seriously, it's just a kid whining about getting a cancer hat for his semi-cancer hat. Like, the dude's missing some brain cells; don't lose yours over this, you did the right thing and made a quick buck. :)

The thing is, neither of the hats were bad by any means. In fact, even if the handle was duped it is still an insane hat for the price and could easily sell for pure or great overpay. The GE esteem isn't even bad either, but price wise it is much lower than the handle.

• Like 1

Once I accidentally traded some aces antlers + showstopper ICU for 27 keys

He gave it back <3

Always trade back if they loose a lot of profit

In this case, you dont have to

You never have to

Also is that the Real VirtualEconomist?

Just asking

The thing is, neither of the hats were bad by any means. In fact, even if the handle was duped it is still an insane hat for the price and could easily sell for pure or great overpay. The GE esteem isn't even bad either, but price wise it is much lower than the handle.

HOLY SHIT THE VIRTUAL ECONOMIST REPLIED TO ME IM TAKIN A SCREENIE

I was the one that was allegedly sharked, I honestly dont care what he says but he told me it was a 1:1, and I have him saying "People like you who cant trade" referring to my inexpierience in unusual trading. I don't care what you bvelieve its over, I just want people to know facts he left out. Add me on steam and I can send you images backing up my claims if you dont believe me.

I was the one that was allegedly sharked, I honestly dont care what he says but he told me it was a 1:1, and I have him saying "People like you who cant trade" referring to my inexpierience in unusual trading. I don't care what you bvelieve its over, I just want people to know facts he left out. Add me on steam and I can send you images backing up my claims if you dont believe me.

thanks for the reply, good to have both sides of a story.

So what you're saying is that they did manipulate you, or at the very least give you false information...

'manipulate' is such a buzzword.

So what you're saying is that they did manipulate you, or at the very least give you false information...

'manipulate' is such a buzzword.

i told him i can offer a 1:1, not that they had the same value. i think we had a misunderstanding here. he apparrently has screenshots, so ask him for em and decide for yourself.

It looks like the two of you were using different meanings of 1:1. You're using it as a term for a trade of a single item for a single item, whereas he uses it as a term that signifies that the item is the only one in existence (e.g. a "one of one").

• Like 3

It looks like the two of you were using different meanings of 1:1. You're using it as a term for a trade of a single item for a single item, whereas he uses it as a term that signifies that the item is the only one in existence (e.g. a "one of one").

I've seen it used both ways so I can see the confusion.

• Like 2

Unless you told him that it's worth more than it really is, then no it's not sharking. Ofcourse, even though the Handle is duped, it's still a bad deal on his side but it's not sharking. Just ignore all the other people who claim that you did shark him, people often don't know the full story in trade servers (due to chat spam) and often tend to go with people they see more often there.

• Administrators

I wouldn't call it sharking and I'd by no means compel you to trade him back, but I do think that if someone realises they got a shitty deal after the fact and you decide to just take advantage of that rather than being a decent person and trading back then you're kinda a dick. A few keys is worth more to ya than being a nice person? Fair enough I guess, to each their own.

I wouldn't call it sharking and I'd by no means compel you to trade him back, but I do think that if someone realises they got a shitty deal after the fact and you decide to just take advantage of that rather than being a decent person and trading back then you're kinda a dick. A few keys is worth more to ya than being a nice person? Fair enough I guess, to each their own.

ye, its up to each person if they wanna do trade backs. me and plenty of people i know dont, but others do. i dont do tradebacks because its very annoying to let go of profit after spending time to secure a deal.