Honestly cant find a basic backpack.tf newbie guide. Anywhere.

GodFox

Hey guys,

After searching for over an hour on google, youtube and, of course, this forum, I found many many many advanced tutorials about every part of backback.tf

Except a newbie guide on how to use it in the first place   :wacko:

Neither in the FAQ, nor in the "How to and Guides" section of this forum could I find anything helpful. Every single tutorial expects me to already know the basics. Seriously, its rediculous. I have not yet found the most basic information. I have not been born with the instinctive knowledge of how to buy stuff on backpack.tf

I would really appreciate it if you could send me a link to a guide (or maybe even answer one or two of my questions yourself). 

1. I just saw an Item I liked and wanted to buy it. Thats it. How do I do that?

2. I understood that refined metal (which you can get by melting together your precious items) is some kind of currency. How do I get ref if I dont have enaugh stuff to melt? Can I buy it with steam money somewhere?

3. I saw a price in dollar (for example 1,50 dollar) under the Item on backpack.tf. Can I just pay with my steam money and be done with it?

4. I tried clicking trade, but only some kind of inventory window opened. I couldnt find the advertised item in the inventory of the seller, and I couldn't offer any money to pay the item with. It looked more like some kind of Item exchange anyways.

5. I thought about selling my stuff here to get ref, and then buy the item with this ref. But backpack.tf cant access my inventory. Yes, I have gone tho the profile settings in my steam account. Yes, I switched the inventory options to "public" and pressed save. Yes I went back into the settings afterwards and checked that it actually took the new settings. I have waited for over an hour for my inventory to be visible in backpack.tf. It still claims it wasn't public.

I'm getting really frustrated here. All I wanted was having this nice item without paying 10 Dollar in the Mann Store. Why can't I just buy this stuff over the community market? Why this weird ref thing?

I would really appreciate some information.

The Fox

you are really newbie with your questions most people playing a bit tf2 even without do trading know how is working a guide would be really useless

1 click on button sending trade offer and send the offer with asking price in ref/keys

2 you can have ref with crafting or buying keys and sellling keys for ref

3 you can do on steam market or marketplace.tf

4 you can paying with keys/ref steam wellet can't be traded

5 your steam profile is private so your backpack are private even if your put your backpack on public

anyway you can still watch this video

• Like 2

1. On the main site use the search bar at the top of the page. Type in the name of the item, you will find the item and the suggested price for each quality variant, e.g. strange, genuine, collectors, etc. Click the one you want and you will be redirected to the stats page for that item. There you will find the classifieds where users list to buy or sell that item. You can click the + on a listing if that user prefers to be added via steam or the ⇌ if they want to trade via a trade offer.

2. You get metal by crafting it in game or trading for it. It can not be bought via the Steam market or in the Mannco store. You could by keys in the Mannco store or on the SCM and then sell the keys for metal. Be aware that anything bought in either of those places are untradable for a week.

3. When you hover over an item you can also see the price the item is being sold for on the SCM if it is marketable. Certain items such as killstreaked items and decorated items are currently based off of the SCM sellers, these prices can vary a lot and can be very wrong at times. Look at what the item is selling for in the classifieds and what it has sold for on the SCM before to make sure the price is accurate. The only way you can buy or sell items with Steam wallet money is on the SCM, it can not be traded via trade offers. 

4. Sounds like you opened a trade offer to another user. You can traded items by selecting items from both of your inventories there. If you tried to send a trade offer from a classifieds listing on the main site but the item doesn't show it has either been given a custom name with a name tag and you'll need to search for the custom name or the item has already been traded away and the user's backpack just hasn't been updated yet. If you open their inventory on the main site it will refresh it and remove the listing automatically. 

• Like 3

5. I thought about selling my stuff here to get ref, and then buy the item with this ref. But backpack.tf cant access my inventory. Yes, I have gone tho the profile settings in my steam account. Yes, I switched the inventory options to "public" and pressed save. Yes I went back into the settings afterwards and checked that it actually took the new settings. I have waited for over an hour for my inventory to be visible in backpack.tf. It still claims it wasn't public.

I went to your steam community page (http://steamcommunity.com/id/fennec-fox/) and it states that your backpack is private.  So either Steam is having a few issues updating your backpack status, in which case you just have to wait a bit, or you haven't quite done it right.

:) Thank you for being patient with me, and for explaining it well. You all were really helpful. Indeed my Profile settings were private, although my inventory was public. I'll wait now until backpack.tf has refreshed and then try to get me some ref. Thanks again!

As someone starting out a good place to get familiar with is scrap.tf      It is one of the most well known trading sites, and trusted.

Go to the website and log in via your steam account.  Click the Banking menu, and under the sub menu there is Weapons buy/sell.

Scrap.tf will buy 2 weapons and give you 1 scrap, and sell you 2 weapons for 1 scrap.    If buying you can also pay with weapons, so if you wanted to buy 2 weapons (worth 1 scrap) it will let you pay with 2 of your weapons (worth 1 scrap).   One thing to take care with is that it will take ANY weapon, even ones worth more than 1/2 a scrap.  So, for example, don't accidentally put your strange flamethrower in the trade :)

It is all automated, once you have the trade you want it will put you in the queue and then pop up a regular steam trade request.