Bots in the TF2 Economy

Sᴘᴀᴅᴇꜱ

So to put it bluntly, I want to know what's going on with bots on trading sites, specifically backpack.tf. They've become commonplace in the market and many of their actions are dictating the direction the economy takes! I stopped trading and playing TF2 for about a year and just came back to it about two months ago. Now these bots rule trading. When did this happen and why?

People want stuff.

People want stuff fast

Traders want profit

Traders want profit without having to spend effot, in the long run.

Thus, bots were born. Also mainly because everyone saw scrap.tf as profitable and wanted a share based off of that "automatic trading".

Started happening a long time ago, probably a couple years ago, when people wanted to automate trading similar to that of Scrap.tf.

Some services popped up, such as TF2WH and the =ocu= network, however, the recent 'bot dilemma' only started happened last year with the introduction of Bot.tf.

The thing with bots is that they pave the way for quick trades. They're online almost 24/7 and can be specified to do many things such as send a counter trade offer or declining a lowball.

bots come and leave

true, now there're more bots than before

i remember sfuminator.tf bots or i think there were some scrap.tf at some point if i am not mistaken

The thing with bots is that they pave the way for quick trades. They're online almost 24/7 and can be specified to do many things such as send a counter trade offer or declining a lowball.

Pretty much this. People are tired of waiting a few hours to and sending multiple trade offers get their hats sold. Bots accept offers instantly and you instantly get your metal/keys/etc. 

I also tend to disagree with 'bots rule trading', because it's the people who buy/sell things to bots. Bots do not decide prices, they just notice at what price people are selling/buying and then make a sell/buy order too.

For example Hat A is worth 1.66 ref. Some bots are selling at 1.66 but all get sold out quickly, then they raise their price to 1.77. This is also successful. Then somebody stops by and makes a suggestion for a price raise to 1.77. That's how sometimes items get a price raise/drop and it represents the market because 1.66 indeed sold quickly. It's the people themselves who buy/sell things to bots and ultimately they decide the prices and not the bots. After all, it's just a BOT and you can decide how to use it. 

I think geel or someone released source for bots (theres a steambot subreddit too) and that caused it to blow up a bit. 

(btw someone mentioned tf2wh, the warehouse is older than scrap.tf and uses a credit system for purchases instead of straight currency for currency)

Thanks for all the answers guys. I guess in the end, we are to blame for using them. Though it does make trading more difficult when the only way to get offers is to undercut the bots.....  <_<

Really they have only gotten as popular as they are now in the past year or so with Scrap.tf and TF2WH blowing up in popularity. especially Scrap.tf which has spawned some copy-cats like Spirit.tf and Stn.eu