Solution for suggestion backlog + mod apps in genera

=TNW= Maximus™

I've been thinking a lot about the suggestion backlog and moderator applications. Currently, the suggestion backlog is 50+ pages and that's insane. Some suggestions have been waiting for over a month and by the time mods get to the suggestions, the sales are so old that they shouldn't even really be valid anymore. 

Possible solutions to the problem:

• Lower age requirement/make more exceptions (or allow younger guys to have trial runs as mods)
  • Allow temporary/part-time mods (people who would like to help, but don't have enough time to do this all the time)

Let's look into the age requirement a bit more. Currently, the age requirement for mod is 18, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, there are a few problems that I've seen from it. 

1) Not many apply, because many of them are in college, or so busy with work/classes, that they wouldn't have enough time to work here. 

2) Age isn't necessarily a reason to reject... I believe that the reason bp.tf has an age requirement is that younger people aren't as mature and don't have as much life experience as older people. However, I've seen very mature 15 or 16 year olds and have seen extremely immature 18+ year olds. While obviously, I'm not saying that anybody should be allowed to apply, I do think that there should be exceptions... If someone fit all the requirements to be mod and was extremely mature for a 16 year old, would you really reject him, solely because he's 16? It wouldn't make sense to do so imo. 

----

Lemme know what you guys think below.

Aside from these ideas, whoever wants to help can also do it without being a mod: pick some backlogged suggestions and check them by yourself, pointing out wrong things or just additional proof, so mods can save some time while checking them and focus on other stuff.

snip

Just two points to make. One, most suggestions up for a month are left up there intentionally to wait for more sales. Sales going outdated is not really a huge deal. The 2-3 month cutoff is already arbitrary. Most items don't change much in that time period. And if they do, all the more reason to leave it up to wait for the price to settle.

Two, this is by far the busiest time of the year every year. We get twice as many suggestions in December as we do in February-March (slowest months of the year). So mods are actually doing quite well to keep it to 50 pages. Most are working more than usual.

Still, I opened up the mod apps again. We could probably use another.

• Like 2

Aside from these ideas, whoever wants to help can also do it without being a mod: pick some backlogged suggestions and check them by yourself, pointing out wrong things or just additional proof, so mods can save some time while checking them and focus on other stuff.

I tried doing this some time ago, but it is time consuming af. I would maybe have applied for mod, if it wouldn't be my last school year. Will try to do this more in the future.

• Administrators

I tried doing this some time ago, but it is time consuming af

It is, but tháts what being a mod is about :P

Now that I have a break, my activity will go back to the level it had during the summer (it had been low due to studying, and reached a minimum the past two weeks, as my semester ended and I had exams).

so yay more foamy activity

It is, but tháts what being a mod is about :P

Now that I have a break, my activity will go back to the level it had during the summer (it had been low due to studying, and reached a minimum the past two weeks, as my semester ended and I had exams).

so yay more foamy activity

Wohooo

crazy that there are 50+ pages of backlog, I remember when I was applying 15 would be a lot, and there were half as many mods to handle them

• Administrators

• Allow temporary/part-time mods (people who would like to help, but don't have enough time to do this all the time)

This kinda exists. I'm not a price mod, but I handle suggestions when I have some free time. Just an example.

crazy that there are 50+ pages of backlog, I remember when I was applying 15 would be a lot, and there were half as many mods to handle them

There are half the number of suggestions per page. So it's the equivalent of 25 pages from before. But yeah, it's still a lot.

• Like 1

This kinda exists. I'm not a price mod, but I handle suggestions when I have some free time. Just an example.

Yes, that's true... Could be a bigger part of the applications though :P

I'd apply if I were old enough

exactly.. I think there are multiple people who are in the same boat as you.

Well, a younger person is much more likely to be manipulated/influenced into doing stuff compared to an older person. I to be honest would rather wait 2 months for a suggestion to be accepted than have a child admin accepting prices.

that is just my opinion but hopefully you can understand what I mean.

Well, a younger person is much more likely to be manipulated/influenced into doing stuff compared to an older person. I to be honest would rather wait 2 months for a suggestion to be accepted than have a child admin accepting prices.

that is just my opinion but hopefully you can understand what I mean.

Not necessarily. I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying for bp.tf staff to lower the bar for mods, I'm saying to lower the age, not the quality. If a 15 year old is qualified for everything, except age, there's no difference in his actual suggesting skills. Also, backlog is not okay. It doesn't seem like you suggest much, but for people who suggest a lot (40-50 suggestions open), some people hit the 50 cap and it's kind of annoying sometimes. 

• Administrators

Also, backlog is not okay. It doesn't seem like you suggest much, but for people who suggest a lot (40-50 suggestions open), some people hit the 50 cap and it's kind of annoying sometimes.

I suggested a ton and I never hit the cap. Polar explained why many suggestions stay up so long. It's not the number of mods. Make better quality suggestions that don't need to wait for additional information or sales. :P

I suggested a ton and I never hit the cap. Polar explained why many suggestions stay up so long. It's not the number of mods. Make better quality suggestions that don't need to wait for additional information or sales. :P

Eh, it depends on the suggester. When I suggested a lot, it hit it all the time. Also, people who only do unusuals generally don't hit it/as frequently as people who do uniques. 

Suggestions don't only stay up because mods are waiting for sales or whatever, many times, they're not accepted because they just aren't.