Lets talk about Scrap.tf "Auction"

Gyro

Everytime scrap.tf has a new gimmick some of us gets excited, from skin banking to raffles, auction is probably one of the most ignored part of the website, mainly because most of the auctions starting bid is way over the top and its just a big mess

Here are some auctions i found with some ridiculous starting bid.

bO2sfan.png

l39Yjp2.png

Wdxbgjh.png

8ttIq5W.png

MAf0rDB.png

5qBQ63D.png

0QD2VyH.png

As you can see it basically turned into tf2outpost.

My suggestion is, why don't they just do what Bazaar.tf did?

Bazaar.tf Limits Starting bid based on the Items backpack.tf price cut in half (Strange SMG = 2 refined ~ Starting bid cap = 1 refined)

XJEouHP.png

I'm not really hating on scrap.tf, im just worried about whats gonna happen to the auctions tab

• Like 2

just ignore the junk auctions.  people will always do dumb stuff like that.  we even have threads here on bptf where people post pictures of crappy lowball offers.  and aren't auctions a relatively new feature?  maybe they'll implement/are planning to implement that starting bids thing that bazaartf does at a later date

Not sure how posting here will do anything, scrap.tf has their own forums. I would assume you can share your thoughts about auctions somewhere there.

Don't like the starting bid? Just don't bid on the auctions. It harms no one, and it's obvious the seller will have to lower their price to actually get offers. They're wasting their own time hoping for bids.

• Like 2

People create shitty auctions -> Nobody enters -> People stop creating shitty auctions because it doesn't work.

The problem is, they don't. I've seen several people list items for full price or more at least 3-4 times and never drop the starting price or allow items to be used in bidding. It clogs up the entire system that people have to wade through the stupid auctions just to find decent ones 5 pages later. 

I completely agree with the person that said that you shouldn't be able to list an auction item for more than 1/2 it's bp.tf value as a starting bid. That's really how auctions are supposed to work. When people go to auctions in real life, if it was some expensive car, they don't start the bidding at 500,000. They start at like 10,000 and let it go from there. The car may eventually sell for a lot, but starting bidding at a ridiculously high number is just stupid. 

Well, it's free world and everyone can sell whatever they want for whatever price they want. And from that they will get understanding thats it's impossible to sell. Bets way is to ignore and don't apply any rulings. Opskins also swarmed with safary meshes for 1000 USD, but nobody are buying them. You just ignore.

And I am not into very auctions, but what you mean 1/2 price of backpack. For esample that unu for 18 keys, if I start at 9 and auction ends at 12 I must sell it for 12? it's ridiculous.

For esample that unu for 18 keys, if I start at 9 and auction ends at 12 I must sell it for 12? it's ridiculous.

Yes. That's what auction for.

Advertise the auction if you want more people know about it and possibly bid on it.

Auction IRL if you lucky you can sell much higher price via auction (collector items)

I've made a couple of auctions before for taunts, and, it's pretty profitable to some extent.

https://scrap.tf/auctions/PLWV5L

https://scrap.tf/auctions/UYEERA

https://scrap.tf/auctions/ULRVRO

https://scrap.tf/auctions/GQ1H8P

https://scrap.tf/auctions/QVG0F4

and a lot more...

Anyhow, it's pretty much time that people are wasting if they're just setting their minimum bids too high and no one bids. That's the beauty of a free market.

Well, it's free world and everyone can sell whatever they want for whatever price they want. And from that they will get understanding thats it's impossible to sell. Bets way is to ignore and don't apply any rulings. Opskins also swarmed with safary meshes for 1000 USD, but nobody are buying them. You just ignore.

And I am not into very auctions, but what you mean 1/2 price of backpack. For esample that unu for 18 keys, if I start at 9 and auction ends at 12 I must sell it for 12? it's ridiculous.

Finally someone with sense. Equate it to free speech. You should be able to start your damn auction for what you damn want. Just like eBay.

Yes. That's what auction for.

Advertise the auction if you want more people know about it and possibly bid on it.

Auction IRL if you lucky you can sell much higher price via auction (collector items)

Just no. If scrap.tf had the system you are talking about, the auctions will be exploited hard for profits. Scrap tf has not implemented anything against sniping. Bp.tf should not be treated as bible.tf. Al I have to do is buy some overpriced unusuals from reasonable people who realize they are overpriced and use those as bidding material.

Not sure how posting here will do anything, scrap.tf has their own forums. I would assume you can share your thoughts about auctions somewhere there.

To be fair from what I'm told the forums there are mostly dead and they apparently have just closed criticism-based posts in the past (A lot of their staff are really immature so I'd believe this); I don't think it would get any attention at all if posted there. Additionally, it seems their "help and Support" section, the closest fit to this post, is actually being REMOVED and is read-only. It says you can find a new section below it but there isn't one. 

8ec81b1bfaac5c34a13c521235091faf.png

• Like 1

I think it would be more effective for scrap to have a minimunm buyout(hold) like a real auction instead of a min bid. This way people arent feeling like they have to list 3 craft hats for 20 ref.

Another note people can list items for whatever they want, you could in theory make the same complaint about people trying to buy golden pans on classies for 1 scrap, or someone insanely overpricing their unusual. People will always be stupid, the world will continue and the idiots will get left behind.