PC Build under $500

unstopaBULLY

I talked to my uncle and he recommended possibly trying to get it built from Costco since he said they are good at this kind of stuff and have a good warranty and customer service. He said everything in my setup looked good and he said putting it together would be easy. He said the costco thing he found was similar to the link McCoolname gave me except it had a worse graphics card (1GB). I'll probably still rollout with the list McCoolName gave me though, although I am kinda afraid static electricity will ruin it even though I know how I am supposed to avoid that. If possible let's say I had $50-75 more, could I get a better graphics card that would help? My friends said the setup would be good but if I got a better graphics card it would be really good.

Thanks guys, I just need some more input and time before I dive into this new project.

I talked to my uncle and he recommended possibly trying to get it built from Costco since he said they are good at this kind of stuff and have a good warranty and customer service. He said everything in my setup looked good and he said putting it together would be easy. He said the costco thing he found was similar to the link McCoolname gave me except it had a worse graphics card (1GB). I'll probably still rollout with the list McCoolName gave me though, although I am kinda afraid static electricity will ruin it even though I know how I am supposed to avoid that. If possible let's say I had $50-75 more, could I get a better graphics card that would help? My friends said the setup would be good but if I got a better graphics card it would be really good.

Thanks guys, I just need some more input and time before I dive into this new project.

For CSGO, TF2, and Overwatch a 1050+i3-6100 will get well over 60fps @ 1080p ultra settings. I don't remember what other games you were interested in, but if you had more money to spend, then you could step up to an RX 470/4gb RX480/3gb 1060, and that would be beneficial for other AAA titles (like Battlefield 1).

Also, you can't compare GPUs by how much VRAM they have. A 3GB 1060 is MUCH faster than a 3gb 780. Also a lot of pre-builts come with crap GPUs (GT xxx for example).

Static electricity isn't really much of a concern. Modern components are extremely resilient. But if you're really super paranoid, then you could put the PSU in the case (and plug the PSU into the wall), then just touch the psu every time you're about to handle another component. You could also get an anti-static wrist strap (again, if you're extremely paranoid).

For CSGO, TF2, and Overwatch a 1050+i3-6100 will get well over 60fps @ 1080p ultra settings. I don't remember what other games you were interested in, but if you had more money to spend, then you could step up to an RX 470/4gb RX480/3gb 1060, and that would be beneficial for other AAA titles (like Battlefield 1).

Also, you can't compare GPUs by how much VRAM they have. A 3GB 1060 is MUCH faster than a 3gb 780. Also a lot of pre-builts come with crap GPUs (GT xxx for example).

Static electricity isn't really much of a concern. Modern components are extremely resilient. But if you're really super paranoid, then you could put the PSU in the case (and plug the PSU into the wall), then just touch the psu every time you're about to handle another component. You could also get an anti-static wrist strap (again, if you're extremely paranoid).

I think I can afford $50 more on the build itself but what do you think I should spend it on? I was thinking warranty since I don't think $50 can make a big difference for the graphics card.

I think I can afford $50 more on the build itself but what do you think I should spend it on? I was thinking warranty since I don't think $50 can make a big difference for the graphics card.

Everything basically comes with a free three year warranty, and extended warranties are literally bullshit across the board anyway.

I would put it towards a better GPU, but either way even a 1050 is more than enough for the games you asked about, the only reason to get a better GPU is if you want to play other AAA titles (like battlefield 1, although even a 1050 can handle BF1 at med-high settings). 

A 3gb 1060 is roughly 50% faster than a 1050.

Everything basically comes with a free three year warranty, and extended warranties are literally bullshit across the board anyway.

I would put it towards a better GPU, but either way even a 1050 is more than enough for the games you asked about, the only reason to get a better GPU is if you want to play other AAA titles (like battlefield 1, although even a 1050 can handle BF1 at med-high settings). 

A 3gb 1060 is roughly 50% faster than a 1050.

Awesome, I guess I will just order the computer right now or tomorrow I guess. I can't wait for to assemble it and play stuff! Thanks so much for all the help I received in the thread! I really appreciate it guys.

Oh yeah where should I get my windows version? At a local tech store like BestBuy or Office Depot? Do I even need Windows(That's probably a really stupid question in hindsight.)

Oh yeah where should I get my windows version? At a local tech store like BestBuy or Office Depot? Do I even need Windows(That's probably a really stupid question in hindsight.)

Either Amazon/best buy/office depot/whatever store you want ($80~). Or you could also get it from Kinguin/G2a ($30~), but these keys are from third party sellers and could be MSDN keys (not for resale) or they could even be stolen. You can also get it for free either through less than legal means or you can just use windows non-activated (and then you'll just have to live with a little watermark in the bottom right corner and you're stuck with a black wallpaper). 

Either Amazon/best buy/office depot/whatever store you want ($80~). Or you could also get it from Kinguin/G2a ($30~), but these keys are from third party sellers and could be MSDN keys (not for resale) or they could even be stolen. You can also get it for free either through less than legal means or you can just use windows non-activated (and then you'll just have to live with a little watermark in the bottom right corner and you're stuck with a black wallpaper). 

Alright I prefer to use the legal way and I'll get through Office depot or something. I'll figure out how to install it myself. Thanks for the help.

It should be noted that Kinguin/G2A have a buyer protection program for less than $2 which protects you in case something like that were to happen.

It should be noted that Kinguin/G2A have a buyer protection program for less than $2 which protects you in case something like that were to happen.

Buyer protection only guarantees that it will activate, it could still become revoked at a later date (not that it's super likely to happen, and even if it does, it would have to happen three-ish times to break even with a full price license).

So yeah I think I am good to go after reviewing everything about a million times. IDK what to do about the processor stock problem I talked about. I guess I'll just order it when it's in stock, or is there somewhere else I can get it?

Does it automatically switch the websites whenever they find the best deal? Cuz everytime I try to buy I swear the prices and sites change.

Does it automatically switch the websites whenever they find the best deal? Cuz everytime I try to buy I swear the prices and sites change.

Yeah, it finds the lowest price at any given time from the websites you choose to include (and it defaults to include all of them).

Yeah, it finds the lowest price at any given time from the websites you choose to include (and it defaults to include all of them).

Ok, I was supposed to order it Saturday or Sunday but ended up ordering it today since my parents were busy but they just bought it :). I hope the stuff is here by the weekend so a friend can come over and help build it. I was so paranoid that I might have ordered something twice or missed something that I like triple checked, and I'm glad I did that cause I forgot to put the processor in and accidently had two memory cards or something like that.

UPDATE: I will update this thread as parts come in and I start the build.

The rest of the parts should be coming within a week of today (Monday 12/5/16)

Today the monitor and case came.