Making profit - unusuals

The Fried Piper

I started trading a little bit ago and I have worked my way up to about 40 ref from nothing. I only got this far in a few good trades where I bought a hat not counting paint than sold it to someone who liked for full value. However people seem to absolutely HATE it when I ask whether they have painted hats then refuse to pay more for paint. I tried selling stranges but you can buy them for bp.tf price on bp.tf from a bot so why the hell would you let me oversell/lowball you? Maximum I make 1 rec profit on that. How can I make profit in tf2? Most guides I see are 3 years old and talk about scrapbanking (lol) or talk about buying unusual quicksells. Please don't tell me to spend irl money. Thanks.

you'll probably be stuck making small metal profits for a while until you have a lot more pure around so you can either do tons of trades (i.e. bulk) with a bot or automatic or something, or you can flip higher tier items.

and ye, most people don't pay more for paint.  and you'd be surprised, it's actually pretty easy to pick up items from the classifieds at under what bots are quickbuying for and immediately flip them to the bots for quick metal.  did it recently with three-run blades and a Cuban bristle crisis, and a lot of craft hats

Buy in bulk. Many people just wanna get rid of stuff and don't wanna spend time selling. If u take the time, u can easily make 20-25% profit on each bulk sale.

I started trading a little bit ago and I have worked my way up to about 40 ref from nothing. I only got this far in a few good trades where I bought a hat not counting paint than sold it to someone who liked for full value. However people seem to absolutely HATE it when I ask whether they have painted hats then refuse to pay more for paint. I tried selling stranges but you can buy them for bp.tf price on bp.tf from a bot so why the hell would you let me oversell/lowball you? Maximum I make 1 rec profit on that. How can I make profit in tf2? Most guides I see are 3 years old and talk about scrapbanking (lol) or talk about buying unusual quicksells. Please don't tell me to spend irl money. Thanks.

I made most of my profit because people were too lazy or too stupid to realize bots would buy for much higher than I offered. Most people don't even check that for some dumb reason and it's incredibly easy to make a key or a couple ref profit at a time. YOu'd be surprised how much profit you could make by offering less than bp.tf price and then selling it to a bot. A couple scrap or a couple keys profit in literally 2 minutes.

The reason most guides are about unusuals now is because they are far easier to profit with in a day of 24 ref keys. However, I had a friend  who traded his way up from 1 to 10 keys using the the exact strategy you talked about with painted items. Also, like unstopaBULL said above, just buy discounted items (bulk) on trade servers from people who are too dumb to check the buy orders. Then, just sell the items to the bot buy orders for profit. Also always list your items on bp.tf and ask for overpay. You get an insane amount of profit from people overpaying who are again too lazy to sell for metal and reoffer.

Long term investments in strange parts is how I made alot of my profit, and taking advantage of updates, such as when strange used to be 1 scrap each fir pain trains, bought hundreds of them, and then a new update made them very valueable.

I'll come in with the answer that was going to come sooner or later from one of the older traders:  invest money, at least enough to buy 10 keys.  

Before you say 'I can't do this, I'm only 14'...yes, you can.  We're talking about $25 here.  Go rake some leaves, mow lawns, shovel driveways, whatever it takes.  

Now, why would I tell you to do this?  Very simple:  Back in the day when keys cost 5 Ref and there were WAY fewer items in game, it was easy to trade your way up.  Today, when keys are worth 24 ref, the market is totally saturated with items and there are a million bots which have an automated process for what you're trying to do, trying to get from 1 Key to 10 Keys is infinitely more difficult than it was 4 or 5 years ago.  

Once you get some keys, you need to learn the market and take advantage when other people are too scared to take a risk.  I'll give you an example from about a year ago (I hardly trade anymore, so I have nothing recent here):

- I had an aussie scattergun at the time, worth ~33 keys

- Guy offers unpriced hat, 1/1 death at dusk Das Naggen (Death at Dusk was new at the time, hadn't found its place yet)

- I immediately accept, I can sell this thing for twice as much

- Advertise it for 70 keys

- Sell hat for duped DBD Beak (priced at 60 keys at the time iirc)

- Knowing that DBD miscs are the shit (and the beak was 1/1 on the market so duped doesn't matter at all), I advertise it for 80 keys

- Sold it for 80 pure

So to sum up, I had an aussie scattergun, took a bunch of risks, and made 50 keys profit over the course of a few trades.  This is what it takes now.  You need to take calculated risks.  You need to be able to see when something is underpriced and take advantage.  Get some money, study the market (do this by paying attention to suggestions).  If you make a bad trade, fuck it, it's nothing to you in the longrun.  So what, you lost $50 in virtual items.  You'll make it up soon. 

The risks I took in that series of trades: 

- accepted unpriced hat (a lot of people won't do that because they can't think for themselves and need bp to tell them how much a hat is worth)

- accepted duped hat (they're the devil apparently, after all who wants a hat that looks exactly the same as another, except for when you check the history there's a little red line)

- advertised at 'ridiculous' prices (except for the fact that I knew those items could get those prices, based on demand in the market at the time)

TLDR: 

- Invest

- Learn the market

- Take risks

- Get paid