Backpack.tf Secret Santa [Now Escrow Free]

Pilobacon

My main quarrel with this is the fact that the person with no prior experience or reputation for this sort of event is the same person who expects everybody to give him the items first and doesn't give any sort of leeway/understanding to the fact that that sounds really really sketchy if you think about it for a little bit 

Also this. Basically emphasizing a point that I made above.

Also this. Basically emphasizing a point that I made above.

Yeah, didn't see that you had basically said it already but OP was very childish about how my request was made and wasn't at all willing to understand that 3 (trivial and old) +trusts don't qualify you in my eyes for something this large scale. Again, I would have had to give my gift beyond even the extended deadline due to the wait period to trade games. That is, if it was through the third party. It was insisted to me that I needed to trade the gift to the forerunner of the event (even past the extended deadline? Even when it's so much simpler in this case for me to trade the item directly he was insistent that he have the item at some point in the process, getting sketchier to me) and then I was kicked from the event when he found out I wasn't going to trade the item to him.

I thought maybe he had overreacted and he might realize it so I gave time to apologize and then just ended up blocking him when I found out that not only was he not going back on it, but he was saying similar things to other people about how the gifts needed to go through him first. I guess I didn't think not to tell him he wasn't getting my item before doing it anyways because I guess that's what needed to be done (others did which I'm glad to see their situations went smoother than mine) to ensure that I could stay in the event and get the gift to the person. I decided to give my gift to the assigned Santa anyways which is the important thing, but I was informed that whoever had me to give a gift to was immediately reassigned to someone else as soon as he found out he wasn't getting my item. I can only hope the same person does not run this event next year because as you can see, it gets a little ridiculous when you go from Santa Heavy, someone kind and understanding about everything that could happen, to a bossy person with no give and whose paramount priority is getting the items in his own inventory first.

secret santa irl is everyone wraps a gift and gives it in with the person it's for written on, and nobody knows who their gift is from. that's why it's called SECRET santa. o_O

It's not really that we don't know how secret santa works but I assumed it wasn't going to be done this way because of what happened last year. There were gifting delays up until after New Years and a few never even got their present handed out; they're still sitting in the account to this day. Things got even worse when the 3rd party gave out gifts to the wrong person and was even being judgemental on what we were giving.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that I was included in this year's SS but I genuinely thought "escrow free" meant that we were ditching the 3rd party system because of last year's flaws. (However I do admit that I skimmed through OP's post and completely missed reading that rule.) The system where we personally hand out the gifts is still considered secret because your guy doesn't even know who is getting them their present until the day they receive it. It works well for Reddit, it should be adopted here. 

Personally handing in the gift to Cityburns is like seeing his reaction in real life. It's a lot more personal and it still gets the job done.

• Administrators

Entirely my fault but I started it so I'll also end it. No more arguing about this! Next year maybe clarify your understanding before joining. :P

Yeah, didn't see that you had basically said it already

I think your post came before mine, actually. I was typing mine when yours got submitted so I didn't see yours.

it gets a little ridiculous when you go from Santa Heavy, someone kind and understanding about everything that could happen, to a bossy person with no give and whose paramount priority is getting the items in his own inventory first.

GIFTS OUT FOR HARAMBE

Entirely my fault but I started it so I'll also end it. No more arguing about this! Next year maybe clarify your understanding before joining. :P

Wrong. This wasn't an issue of understanding on the entrants part; plenty of people have hand-delivered gifts before in this event. The host has to be adaptable to that (like Santa Heavy has been in the past every single time this event has gone without complaint), this was entirely the host's fault for cracking down this hard on trivial and admittedly simple demands.

• Administrators

The host can be whatever he wants, he's hosting it, it's his rules! You want different ones, you host it next time. Now let's stop.

The host can be whatever he wants, he's hosting it, it's his rules! You want different ones, you host it next time. Now let's stop.

Just to prove my point, I actually will host this next year, and it will run perfectly. Thanks for the idea.

I'm finished here as well.

-HG

• Like 3

We will run our own. @HarryG. You good to run our own?

We will run our own. @HarryG. You good to run our own?

For sure, just let me know around winter next year when you want to post the announcement and we will get it rolling together. Looking forward to it.

-HG

• Like 2

For sure, just let me know around winter next year when you want to post the announcement and we will get it rolling together. Looking forward to it.

-HG

Make Secret Santa Great Again

Y7bRhqa.png

Just to prove my point, I actually will host this next year, and it will run perfectly. Thanks for the idea.

I'm finished here as well.

-HG

While I see the flaws in a third party delivery how would you be able to keep the "secret" aspect? 

While I see the flaws in a third party delivery how would you be able to keep the "secret" aspect? 

Number of ways to do that. For example, if someone wants it to be a secret, they would have to hunt down a friend who will give the gift on their behalf. 

Number of ways to do that. For example, if someone wants it to be a secret, they would have to hunt down a friend who will give the gift on their behalf. 

Still seems kinda like using a third party but I guess that would resolve any trust issues with the main organizer. But why would anyone take part in a secret santa if they didn't want it to be secret. Kinda the whole point.

I really don't care about the secret concept thing by the way, the only reason i participated is because it is the only yearly event that we have regarding a common activity with eachother, and i did it because we share gifts, not how secretive it is.

Even if it doesn't follow the standard secret santa concept, as cheesy as it sounds, i only wanted to make someone happy with a gift of mine and taking a risk if i would receive a good gift or not. I just like the thought that i would receive a gift from someone, regardless if its going to be modest or not, and its enough for me to keep the secret up until the day we receive the gifts themselves.

Pilobacon is just irritated with you guys because you went ahead and did it without discussing it with the organizer first. He would have been more than happy to let you do it that way if you explained why and warned him before doing it. It's kinda hard to organize something when the people you organized it for don't follow instructions or at least inform you what they're doing.

Got a Pro KS Strange SMG, Spec KS Collectors Black Box, and a bunch of trading cards.

Thanks for hosting! Hope my guy enjoys his gift, didn't have much time to research him but I hope he likes it ;)

Got like 2 keys and a cutsey tootsey pocket purrer that i'l most likely keep it forever now. I actually always wanted to get a pocket something and never bothered to buy one, let alone a cat version which i didn't know it existed and now its probably my favorite type. It's like a budget catastrophic companion, i like it.  

My guy probably enjoyed my gift even though likewise i haven't bothered to give much thought besides stuff that i would guess is for his favorite classes (i wont mind if you sell them btw :D ).