How to get TF2 to play with nice frame rate??

Communist Moose

I have a GTX-960 and a FX-8350

I cannot handle TF2 on max, and not really on high/medium either.

The framerate is terrible, constantly jumping around and I mostly see it around 27-150, and I have it set to max @ 200.

I have yet to see a steady frame rate.

Anyway to fix this? Any config or something???

• Like 1

I've run TF2 maxed on a Pentium and a GTX 750 in the past with no problems so that's pretty weird.

I stay away from payload especially skial servers because my game plays around 27-45 on those gamemodes

its bad

tf2 is a very unoptimized game most people don't know this and wonder why they get shit frames on good enoug hardware valve still hasn't fixed it hopefully they do one day

I actually have the same cpu and gpu as you and I am much more sensitive to framerate because I have a 144 hz monitor. I get upset when I drop below 200 fps. What I do is run a graphics config that does some spooky stuff that I sometimes can't undo.

If you don't want to fiddle with a config, you can add the launch option "-dxlevel 81"  and add "mat_queue_mode 2" each to your autoexec. 

The launch option will affect the look of your game, making it use an older version of the graphics which runs faster. The other command will allow tf2 to use multicore rendering.

Also you should look into overclocking, I've gotten my 8350 up to 4.8 ghz with a hyper 212 EVO cooler.

What I did to fix this issue :

1. Reinstall graphic drivers (using DDU)
  2. Defrag my HDD (even the fragment is 0%)(Important!)

Before my fps always stuck below 110 fps. Now constant above 200.

I'm using comanglia fps config (Max FPS for High Quality PCs)(dx95)

What's DDU? also, windows 10 already defrags drives automatically, right?

Display Driver Uninstaller (google is your friend)

I don't think it's automatic and yes I'm using Windows 10.

Or you could just download the latest driver, choose custom installation, and check the box where it says "Perform a clean installation"

Or you could just download the latest driver, choose custom installation, and check the box where it says "Perform a clean installation"

That's not the same as running DDU first. DDU nukes all previous GPU drivers whereas performing a clean installation misses a lot of stuff. 

Also you should look into overclocking, I've gotten my 8350 up to 4.8 ghz with a hyper 212 EVO cooler.

In addition to a cooler, OP also needs a good motherboard with a decent power delivery system or else he could run into serious problems.

I've run TF2 maxed on a Pentium and a GTX 750 in the past with no problems so that's pretty weird.

If that Pentium was less than 5 years old, then it makes perfect sense for it to outperform an FX8350. Piledriver has IPC similar to that of a C2Q from 2006 (and TF2 only really runs on a single core).

That's not the same as running DDU first. DDU nukes all previous GPU drivers whereas performing a clean installation misses a lot of stuff. 

I have CCleaner and I usually have every single thing selected before I clean, does CCleaner touch on that stuff?

If you don't want to fiddle with a config, you can add the launch option "-dxlevel 81"  and add "mat_queue_mode 2" each to your autoexec. 

The launch option will affect the look of your game, making it use an older version of the graphics which runs faster. The other command will allow tf2 to use multicore rendering.

I wouldn't mind fiddling with a config, I just do not know how to.

So I will look into getting this to work.

I have CCleaner and I usually have every single thing selected before I clean, does CCleaner touch on that stuff?

I wouldn't mind fiddling with a config, I just do not know how to.

So I will look into getting this to work.

No, CCleaner won't do the same thing as DDU. 

You really shouldn't need to edit your config, you shouldn't have any issue maxing it out. Run DDU, do a fresh install of your GPU drivers. Then tell me the following: What's your CPU/GPU usage/temps, RAM/VRAM usage (these can all be found in MSI Afterburner). Also, what are your full specs?

I turned it all to lowest and I get 20-60 frames and it ends up crashing,

Yeah, there is something going on. You shouldn't have any issues maxing out TF2 @ 1080p. 

Did you do what I said above? (Also, it may be helpful to know the rest of the specs. Can you open the case and take a picture of the insides -- specifically the sticker on the PSU, and the motherboard around the CPU socket.) Also, is anything overclocked and do you have performance issues in other games? 

EVGA-GTX960

FX8350

asus m5a97 evo 97 mother board

something else

I do not overclock. I can play Skyrim SE on max with barely any problems at all.

I validated files, did the DDU, and now I can run on max with occasional stutter around 30-40, but for the most part it hovers around 60-90 frames. So the problem is kinda fixed, I think I might turn off rag dolls and lesson the amount of particles so I get better fps.

But I noticed when I play pyro that when I w+m1 my game stutters and freezes for like half a second around 10 fps.

Terrible, I do not know what the problem is.

EVGA-GTX960

FX8350

asus m5a97 evo 97 mother board

something else

I do not overclock. I can play Skyrim SE on max with barely any problems at all.

I validated files, did the DDU, and now I can run on max with occasional stutter around 30-40, but for the most part it hovers around 60-90 frames. So the problem is kinda fixed, I think I might turn off rag dolls and lesson the amount of particles so I get better fps.

But I noticed when I play pyro that when I w+m1 my game stutters and freezes for like half a second around 10 fps.

Terrible, I do not know what the problem is.

What's your CPU/GPU usage/temps when playing? (MSI Afterburner has an option to show a graph over time of each)

What's your CPU/GPU usage/temps when playing? (MSI Afterburner has an option to show a graph over time of each)

My GPU is running @ 42 C while playing frontier payload.

My CPUs are at 100-110 F

And the usage? 

GPU usage goes from about 20-40 depending on whats going on

On frontier I am getting 40-60 frames, its mostly below 60 so its annoying my eyes.a

And the CPU usage? 

They pretty much range from 10-50

sometimes they might peak, so the peaks are 70 through 100.

Edit:

Pyro still destroys my FPS

and sometimes when I shoot someone the fps spikes

They pretty much range from 10-50

sometimes they might peak, so the peaks are 70 through 100.

what's the usage when you get the drops? 

Anyway, you could try reinstalling windows/TF2. 

what's the usage when you get the drops? 

Anyway, you could try reinstalling windows/TF2. 

I'll try reinstalling TF2. But having to reinstall windows over one faulty game no way.