Friend needs help on his graphics card

HubertSuo

Decided to change title. It might confuse others thinking its personal.

A real friend of mine needs a suggestion I can't answer, because I'm not a computer geek.

So he just bought the nvidia 1070 graphics card with his earnings, but it's an inch off and it can't fit his case by the HDD drive cage. So I've read 4 points that maybe the only thing he could do:

1) buy new case, which he can't because he doesn't have a job at the moment

2) undo the rivets by the drive and hopefully find a space to deal with it to fit the graphics card

3) rely on without case, which sounds absurd (o3o)/

4) is there a smaller, yet powerful card that can play max frames? Unfortunately, he has 1 slot which I assume he needs to buy a different motherboard for 2 or more, and again is out of his budget.

My only advise I did told him was to save, or refund it for now and keep saving until time is right.

But what are the cons from undoing the rivets and rely on without the cage? Just as long the cords are on it, it should be ok right? (Againdontaskmeidontknowcomputers) Any suggestions would be great, and please be positive~

I don't know his specs unfortunately.

Picture inside of the pre-built computer before attempting to add the graphics card and the new 500 watt power battery are found on post 5 after Boom's first post.

Unfortunately that doesn't tell much besides what I already know. Do you know who made the card? i.e. Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac, MSI. I need to know the exact model so I can know how long it is.

Hubert i havent seen u in a long time

Maybe try sawing an inch off the card? Then it will fit hopefully

Obviously don't do that, just tell him to save up for a case, or buy him a case and let him pay you back when he can

Unfortunately that doesn't tell much besides what I already know. Do you know who made the card? i.e. Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac, MSI. I need to know the exact model so I can know how long it is.

Yeah, I really don't know. It's from this according to Best Buy

Hubert i havent seen u in a long time

Maybe try sawing an inch off the card? Then it will fit hopefully

Obviously don't do that, just tell him to save up for a case, or buy him a case and let him pay you back when he can

How's it going Boom? Haven't seen you for a while either. Anyways, he owes me already. He's finishing up for his bachelors, and with student debt isn't fun either. Alright, so what type of case would he need, according to specs above?

I want to tell him what you guys would assume best in the morning before he pry the HDD disk case off by removing the rivets.

I got a picture of his insides before he went doing his cleaning spree removing dusts. Again, don't judge he's also on a budget just as anyone else buying a pre-built. Feel free to suggest what sort of case he needs.

(This is before he purchased the 1070 and the 8 pins 500watt)

2e2jk92.jpg

If you need close up to the board to find out what is it, feel free to ask.

How's it going Boom? Haven't seen you for a while either. Anyways, he owes me already. He's finishing up for his bachelors, and with student debt isn't fun either. Alright, so what type of case would he need, according to specs above?

Thanks for deleting me ;~;

And that sucks. I will look into it tommorow, cases arent that expensive tho haha compared to the rest of the parts.

Yeah, I really don't know. It's from this according to Best Buy

I want to tell him what you guys would assume best in the morning before he pry the HDD disk case off by removing the rivets.

I got a picture of his insides before he went doing his cleaning spree removing dusts. Again, don't judge he's also on a budget just as anyone else buying a pre-built. Feel free to suggest what sort of case he needs.

(This is before he purchased the 1070 and the 8 pins 500watt)

If you need close up to the board to find out what is it, feel free to ask.

Tell him to return his 1070 (founders edition is overpriced anyway). Then there are three options, measure and find out exactly how much room there is and buy a 1070 that's <= to that length, just get a mini 1070: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nQPzK8/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1070ixoc-8gd/http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4fyxFT/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10700g-10mor rip out the drive cage and velcro the hdd to the bottom of the case or something like that. 

Also, what CPU does he have? (and what PSU)

@AwesomeMcCoolGuy it's something like this but it runs just Intel Graphics Card. Almost like mines (from previous topics ago). Otherwise, I'll ask him when he's off from school.

I told him the idea with the micro and its around his budget, so he'll refund. Is this also a 2-slot? Is his motherboard okay supporting it consider it has one? Does he need pick up a new one?

@NotWarLizard haha I'll tell him that if he has the patience. I think he'll go with the idea with refunding and go micro to save him funds from buying new stuff.

@Boom I'm sure I didn't delete anyone from friend list. I thought I still had you a week ago. D;

@AwesomeMcCoolGuy it's something like this but it runs just Intel Graphics Card. Almost like mines (from previous topics ago). Otherwise, I'll ask him when he's off from school.

I told him the idea with the micro and its around his budget, so he'll refund. Is this also a 2-slot? Is his motherboard okay supporting it consider it has one? Does he need pick up a new one?

@NotWarLizard haha I'll tell him that if he has the patience. I think he'll go with the idea with refunding and go micro to save him funds from buying new stuff.

@Boom I'm sure I didn't delete anyone from friend list. I thought I still had you a week ago. D;

It has an i7-6700? 

Dual slot refers to the thickness of the card, not the number of connectors. All (well, 99% of) gaming-grade GPUs nowadays are dual slots cards, but they all only connect via a single PCIE slot.