My suggestion was force closed for no reason

Aaron (Mr. Smee)

Now, for some moderation on this thread. Enough with the name calling. People are entitled to their opinions. Not everyone is aware of how the website truly functions. Most of you in the forums have been around long enough. Please use your knowledge base constructively rather than being hostile towards outsiders - it only reinforces certain perceptions. 

Yeah we tried to help him. He won't listen. Like seriously.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people want to stay ignorant, and vote blindly, you should let them.

If it only affected the one idiot who remained ignorant, then i would agree whole-heartedly, But it doesn't. The site is supposed to reflect the current market price, not what the average idiot thinks it is or wants it to be. If there is proof clearly showing that the suggested price is wrong, then the suggestion is wrong. Get over it. 

1 key flat was clearly wrong, hell you can even look at trade.tf and it also shows the grenade launcher being 1-1.2 keys. 1 key was clearly wrong. If voters actually looked into every suggestion and into the proof, and didn't vote based on their on desires then i would agree--let prices be set by the vote and thats it. But that would lead to a horribly flawed price GUIDE.

This isn't a court room. All we care about is establishing an accurate range to represent the market both for buyers and sellers. If you disagree with my (or any mods) decision, you can always make a new suggestion for 1 key flat and another moderator will evaluate it independently. 

What stops you from closing it again?

It wasn't wrong for the time. Only 69 people down voted it while 413 people up voted it. I was certified right by the people. One user believed he was better than all of us and closed the suggestion. That oppression will not be tolerated. Power is derived from the consent of the governed, and in this case, the consent of the people who are effected by price changes. No one moderator is allowed to change things to his whim because he feels like it. He is an enforcer of justice and truthfulness, ie a policeman, not a king of the website.

I will report him to his superiors and I will re-suggest my price. Bottom line.

Again as many have pointed out before me:

✖         Upvotes =/= Accepted price

Upvotes doesn't necessarily mean it is the correct price. Some votes will occur based upon what prices traders want and not the proof presented. The mods on bp.tf have the final say after looking at the proof given, along with comments and counterproof in the suggestion.

An example: If you open a suggestion with no proof lowering keys, upvotes will still occur since users want keys to be cheaper.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/3203-guide-making-good-suggestions/

I once suggested a unusual hat with proof for the wrong hat during my 20 suggestion spams and realised this 2 hours later. Still got 100% upvote. Should it have been accepted because i got 100% upvote?

10/10, you got 5 pages. 

I think this should be in the great below, but I'm afraid that you actually are serious.

When he started comparing Bp.tf to different government entities, it was pretty obvious it was a troll

Votes used to be the defining factor in whether a suggestion will pass or fail. This was in the oldest days of bp.tf, where it was a smaller community and one didn't need to prove a suggestion. Those involved in the community had an interest in pricing and were voting based on their experiences. Blind voters didn't exist, as if you didn't know anything about the item, you would literally be flipping a coin.

As the community grew larger, they also grew more vocal. Comments in suggestions would start providing links to show one way or another whether a suggestion was accurate or not. The need for initial proof in a suggestion developed from there- it was spearheaded by the community, not by admins or mods. It became a necessity out of community demand.

At the same time, as the necessity for proof developed, votes became less valuable. Users recognized a trend- those that provided proof had a strong chance of being accepted, those that didn't would fail. These are what are coined as blind voters- they vote based solely on the existence and presentation of proof. If it's there, it's likely to be accepted, so upvote. The number that will fail will pale in comparison to those that will succeed, so your successful votes will climb rapidly and easily. All in all, people will upvote in swarms so long as a person has a legible original post that provides links. It doesn't matter what the content is, each and every link could be inaccurately labelled or even for wrong trades altogether. So long as there's a list of outpost links it WILL be upvoted strongly. This is why votes have become less valuable, a significant number of suggestions have the majority of votes belonging to blind voters who do not scrutinize the proof in the slightest.

This is what has led the site to stop being voter based and is instead strongly proof and comment based. What matters is the proof provided, which must meet a number of criteria as the community has come to demand. From there it must withstand scrutiny by the community, as performed by further comments. It is a community site not because people can click a green checkmark or a red X. It is a community site because it is the community that initiates the suggestions and the community that scrutinizes the suggestions. Before all else, the mod examining the suggestions should be ensuring that the foundation of proof matches the requirements as has been developed by the community. If a mod accepts a suggestion that has positive votes but proof that does not meet the requirements laid out by the community, that mod is failing their role.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5239cea14dd7b8ed018b456a as shown here, 15 out of 16 people upvoted my suggestion. None of those even opened the links. I can tell for sure since none of those EVER existed. All links were faked.

So, votes shouldn't be the deciding factor. I got a higher % of agreement than you. This is why mods should exist. Blind voting proven here.

Archived