What Gender is God?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What gender is God?

• Male
    • Female
    • God does not exist
    • It
    • God is Gaben
    • Does it really matter what gender god is? Does it matter whether God happens to a male or female, is there not something greater we should question about the person who supposedly created us all and the universe in which we coexist together everyday?

By "God", I assume you mean the one with the capital G.

While I do not necessarily believe in the capital-G God, he is often referred to as being male.

I have yet to see an artist's depiction of God as a female.

Unless I'm mistaken, in the Holy Trinity, God is "the father" - Jesus is "the son". (You know, "The father, the son, and the holy spirit")

Though this makes me wonder:

If God allegedly created man in his image, why are humans initially female while developing in the womb, with ones with Y chromosomes becoming male? Why not the other way round, or a female God? Just food for thought.

Going from what I know of the Bible, which isn't much, honestly, God is pretty much always referred to as male, and in Genesis he is said to have made men "based on his image" or something like that, creating women later.

So if I weren't an atheist I'd say male. This is assuming you mean the Christian God anyway.

Depending on which mythos one chooses, the first God/Gods could be male or female, but is usually depicted as male.

Christianity, Islam, Hindiusm, and a bunch of other "popular" religions believe in monotheism, and in one God (not the same God), or for Hindiusm, Vishnu the Creator. They're always male though.

Greeks/Romans believe in the existence of primordial Gods, the protogenoi. As written in Theogeny, there are four primordial gods: Chaos, Gaia, Tartarus, Eros. Chaos, while genderless, is usually depicted as female, and gives rise to Erebus (male, darkness) / Nyx (female, night) and Aether (male, light) / Hemera (female, day). Gaia (what one would consider mother Earth) gives rise to Uranus (male, heaven), Ourea (male, mountain), and Pontus (male, water). Tartarus, a place similar to hell (actually more like the court of Anubis), is depicted as male. Finally, while Theogeny has Eros as a primordial god, Argonautica depicts him as the son of Aphrodite. From these primoridal gods came other gods, etc.

In Chinese mythology, the formless chaos which existed formed an egg, and due to the interaction between yin and yang, from the egg came Pan Gu (depicted as male). It then took him 18,000 years to separate the sky and the earth, then another 18,000 years to finish its separation. Then, he dissolved: head became mountains, breath became wind, voice became thunder, left eye became the sun, right eye became the moon, beard became the stars, limbs became the four quadrants of the globe, blood became the rivers, internal stuff became the layers of the earth, flesh became the soil, hair became the plants, sweat became the rain, marrow became precious stones, and semen (no comment) became pearls.

In Japanese mythology, as written in Kojiki and Nihon Shoki, three primordial gods arose out Takamagahara (High plain of heaven), which arose from particle movement out of chaos: Ame no minakanushi no mikoto, Takabi-musubi no kami, and Kami-musubi no kami. All three are considered genderless. After them came the Kamiyonanayo (seven generations of the age of gods), in which came two more genderless gods, then five pairs of brother + younger sister (who was also the wife, *insert redneck joke here*) Gods. Technically speaking, the male came first.

Nordic mythology is pretty unclear when it comes to origins, but in the most well-known "origin" myth, after the creation of Muspell (world of light and heat) and Niflheim (world of dark and ice) from Ginnungagap (chasm), the fires of Muspell met the ice of Niflheim, resulting in the creation of the ice giant Ymir, a male. A male and a female ice giant grew from under his arms (eww) and his legs "mated" to produce a son (who supposedly has 6 heads...). Then the cow Audhumla (where did this cow come from...?) fed Ymir with her milk. The cow licked salty ice for nurishment (2000% DV nutrition) and freed a man from the ice. Buri then *somehow* produced a son, who mated with a female frost giant to give birth to Odin...

AAAAAAHHHH too many creation myths to talk about, I could spend forever discussing them.

I-it's not like I like mythology or anything...

And then, we get the scientific view. All life started off from protocells, small cell like things that are capable of growth and division. There are tons of theories behind how this protocell actually formed, but most agree on a few conditions. The reducing atmosphere of the Earth at the time, combined with the primordial soup of simple organic compounds led to the formation of monomers of organic material. Monomers then reacted with other monomers to form polymers, eventually forming proteinoid.

Or, the world was created 10 seconds ago by Gaben, and all the memories you believe you have are actually implanted in your head.

Archived