[Q] Backpack Visibility

Nope

I prefer my Steam Profile to be private.

I have no issue setting my backpack/inventory to public.  

Is there a way to keep my profile private while still allowing sites like backpack.tf to "see" the contents of my backpack? 

Thanks! 

You want your profile private, but want it to have backpack public ?

Im sure private profile, makes backpack private as well

Correct. 

From what I've gathered, private profiles are frowned upon by the Tf2 community, but I really don't like the idea of broadcasting what games I've been playing on a weekly basis, who my friends are and what games they've been playing etc. 

I don't mind having my backpack public though; in fact, I would prefer it. 

There are separate options for profile and backpack visibility, suggesting the settings don't necessarily have to coincide?

If it's not possible to do via the settings (Private profile makes everything else private by default) is there a way to tweak what sections of my profile are visible such that I would feel comfortable setting it to public (i.e. Not advertise what games I've been playing when)?   

When you set your profile to private the Steam Web API is unable to get ANY information about you other than current in-game name (i think it can get the name still) and therefor it cannot pull up your backpack. 

Correct. 

From what I've gathered, private profiles are frowned upon by the Tf2 community, but I really don't like the idea of broadcasting what games I've been playing on a weekly basis, who my friends are and what games they've been playing etc. 

I don't mind having my backpack public though; in fact, I would prefer it. 

There are separate options for profile and backpack visibility, suggesting the settings don't necessarily have to coincide?

If it's not possible to do via the settings (Private profile makes everything else private by default) is there a way to tweak what sections of my profile are visible such that I would feel comfortable setting it to public (i.e. Not advertise what games I've been playing when)?   

First off, why do you care if people know what games your playing? ---no one else cares. 

As for the settings, you can have a public profile, but a private backpack, but you CAN'T have a private profile with a public backpack. 

When you set your profile to private the Steam Web API is unable to get ANY information about you other than current in-game name (i think it can get the name still) and therefor it cannot pull up your backpack. 

Thanks for the info m8 

First off, why do you care if people know what games your playing? ---no one else cares. 

As for the settings, yo can have a public profile, but a private backpack, but you CAN'T have a private profile with a public backpack. 

Haha, I don't know why it bothers me.  

I'd be surprised if more than 1 person views my profile in the span of 3 months, so it's certainly not a matter of practice. 

I guess if I ever become an active trader I will have to make my profile public   :D

Thanks for the info m8 

Haha, I don't know why it bothers me.  

I'd be surprised if more than 1 person views my profile in the span of 3 months, so it's certainly not a matter of practice. 

I guess if I ever become an active trader I will have to make my profile public   :D

I hardly look at profiles a second time after gettin an add. I don't think people look at profiles except for when they hit add, and thats the only thing they do.  

Yea, and to use outpost you need to be public

I didn't know you had to have a public backpack to use Outpost.  I just thought it facilitated trading.  

Did one of you tell one me!?

I just got permanently banned, haha  :ph34r:

I didn't know you had to have a public backpack to use Outpost.  I just thought it facilitated trading.  

Did one of you tell one me!?

I just got permanently banned, haha  :ph34r:

I'm fairly sure you can appeal it if you tell your whole story (and maybe show this thread) and put your backpack to public. I guess you would be unbanned

I'm fairly sure you can appeal it if you tell your whole story (and maybe show this thread) and put your backpack to public. I guess you would be unbanned

all you have to do is make your profile public, and say its not public. 

Archived