Stop Catering to the Haters Valve

Wolf the Gent

Sigh, Valve released another update removing a feature that was needed in the update.

Let's start first by saying the good things about the update released on 7/28/2016

Valve good job buffing the abandon penalties on MM, they are good, next you need to bring back the ones on Casual...

However, you brought back the FoV slider... IN COMPETITIVE

Valve you seriously need to put your foot down. Draw the line. Soon you're going to be throwing your entire update away and bringing back the old, worse pubs. 

A locked FoV means a fair and even match of FoVs between all players, which also means everyone's sightlines are the same and therefore balanced. Now some people are going to be at 57 and others will be at 70, making it possible for one person to see someone else first, possibly causing issues. Now I am not saying this shouldn't be in Casual, heck keep it in casual if you want to at least set a bar, but don't plague the comp scene. 

• Matchmaking
    • Competitive Mode
      • Abandon penalty times are now longer for first-time abandoners with a low number of games played
      • Abandoning a game now results in significant rank loss. This loss is always greater than losing a given match.
      • Fixed an issue where players could drop and reconnect too many times before triggering an abandon
    • Casual Mode
      • Matches can now start with fewer than 24 players when there are not enough compatible players in queue
        • The match will still add additional players (up to 24) as they become available
        • This should improve queue times for low-population regions and game modes
      • Added maps cp_gullywash, cp_snakewater, and koth_probed
      • Fixed not being able to cycle between spectator modes
  • Weapon viewmodels
    • The field-of-view slider has been re-added to Adv. Options menu (range: 54 to 70 degrees)
      • This feature is now allowed in Competitive Mode
    • Improved and fixed many animations when using a higher viewmodel field-of-view
    • Removed custom animations from the sv_pure whitelist because it was being exploited
    • Adjusted The Cow Mangler and Black Box reload animations to be slightly faster (they now match the default rocket launcher)
  • Your class portrait will now always be the innermost in the match status HUD (top center) and will have a slightly brighter background
  • Added the Prinny promo items to the Mann Co. Store
  • Added the Florida LAN 2016 community medal
  • PASS Time update
    • Fixed achievement items (e.g. Civilian Grade JACK Hat) not cloaking with the Spy
    • Tweaks and fixes for all maps
    • Fix pack speed not being updated sometimes
    • Aiming players will no longer receive pack speed bonus
    • Some adjustments to reduce average round length
      • Overtime will end immediately if the winning team touches the ball
      • Overtime won't happen if it's impossible for the losing team to win
  • Fixed players being able to avoid a vote-kick by reconnecting to the server at the right time
  • Fixed the pd_watergate HUD not drawing
  • Fixed Engineer teleporter exits sometimes detonating when used due to invisible geometry
  • Fixed getting a black screen if the chat window was open when the match stats were being shown
  • Fixed weapons not being hidden during some taunts for the Engineer, Medic, and Soldier
  • Fixed Spy cloak causing the HUD 3D Character to cloak for the player the Spy is disguised as
  • Fixed a client crash related to the animation system
  • Fixed a bug where players in looping taunts could sometimes cause other clients to drop from the server
  • Fixed not seeing particle effects for Unusual versions of Baseball Bill's Sports Shine, Ritzy Rick's Hair Fixative, and Texas Slim's Dome Shine
  • Fixed hearing the "team wipe" Announcer audio at the incorrect times

allow any graphics config and the ability to hide viewmodels in "competitive".

why should you be forced to have ragdolls/gibs on?

bring back pubs

• Like 2

If you think someone has an advantage because they have a higher FOV why don't you... idk

RAISE YOUR FOV

And as a side note. I don't need a giant black cylinder covering 35% of my screen when i play soldier.

Decided to abandon MM because there was a hacker on the opposing team, no vote kick mechanism for either team and I got a 6 hour ban because of greater punishment while the hacker was able to jump in another match scot free.

Maybe they should work on implementing features in better order.

I would also prefer if they didn't cater to the idiots by limiting FOV.

If you think someone has an advantage because they have a higher FOV why don't you... idk

RAISE YOUR FOV

And as a side note. I don't need a giant black cylinder covering 35% of my screen when i play soldier.

viewmodel_fov 999 ftw

but but but there's a 'report' function that nobody can find, and it probably doesn't do anything anyways (like the player abuse report function)

• Like 1

Everyone has different opinions. You might believe that TF2 is better post-MYM, but if 90% of the community doesn't, Valve will probably try to redact/tweak some of the update's changes. It's simple really, Valve wants to make money. They'd rather have 90% of their fanbase loving the game and cater to them who are investing money into it rather than have them pissed off and not willing to spend money into a game that's turning into shit. 

RAISE YOUR FOV

for real, playing the game for 4.5 years with 70-90 FOV and all of a sudden getting it capped was seriously game ruining, really glad they at least made the cap more reasonable

this isnt valve caving into the haters, this is valve listening to community feedback

Honestly, I don't understand why you're so angry. "Catering to the haters", as you put it, would have been allowing FOV to be set to up to 90. This high a setting ends up making arms and whatnot look wonky, and quite frankly given the size of the TF Team expecting a fix for this issue is wishful thinking. Allowing it to be set to up to 70 avoids this issue while compromising with the community.

On this topic of compromise, I've noticed Valve getting a lot of flak for purposefully disallowing no viewmodels, even to the point where they have patched mods that allowed for viewmodels to not be present. However, they do have a reasonable argument- no viewmodels would simply be boring in a Twitch stream, etc. and would break this consistency they are striving for as TF2 prepares to enter the big leagues. I think Valve should again consider taking a middle road, allowing for transparent viewmodels. This way, the weapons are still present but are much less obnoxious. An even better fix would be having it that even if a player has no viewmodels on, when streaming it appears as if he/she does.

How about this

why do you always gotta say "Bring old pubs back" when valve is never gonna read this thread like you never thought about that

but just gonna say someone who has played a a lot of matches(by that i mean like a fuckton) in MM still gets a 30 min ban sooo you can still troll this update (update did nothing for this) like why remove CUSTOM ANIMATIONS FROM CASUAL like cmon man i love those animations it made my tf2 felt like a Very demanding game like more "Demanding" Than COD Black ops III or Battlefield 4

good thing was the promos in the store is gud (just gonna say the genuines are gonna drop into shit and unique will be higher than genuine) 

I think we should all hack, who really cares anymore? Valve nuked pubs and the game hasnt been the same since. Also, bringing fov slider back is a good thing, was getting bored of typing commands in every time i wanted to play. Another side note, valve listens to NO-ONE, doesnt matter what the people want.

I think we should all hack, who really cares anymore? Valve nuked pubs and the game hasnt been the same since. Also, bringing fov slider back is a good thing, was getting bored of typing commands in every time i wanted to play. Another side note, valve listens to NO-ONE, doesnt matter what the people want.

Autoexec files exist so you don't have to do it all again every time you load up tf2. And valve clearly listened when they destroyed demo 2 years back and undid it in 2 weeks because everybody complained. And r/tf2 whining about mym has definitely been listened to. And apparently b4nny stopped valve from buffing the reserve shooter, which they somehow got in their heads was a good idea. My point being, valve does take community input, although not from here

Valve you seriously need to put your foot down. Draw the line. Soon you're going to be throwing your entire update away and bringing back the old, worse pubs. 

I do agree that there are times when a company (Valve) needs to do something that the players at mass dislike at first for the betterment of the game in the future. I think the new pubs and viewmodel restrictions are great examples of this. However, the execution of them was literal shit, so the players just got mad without even considering why they were implemented in the first place. Valve NEEDS to have better communication with players to tell them about WHY they are making these types of changes and WHY they are best for the game. Untill they can improve their communication and their execution of updates, I dont think that anyone will let them draw the line anymore. For now, I think it is best going with community feedback.

• Like 1

next update will likely involve adding weekly brawls, because it's not like that is a thing another game does.

maybe in the subtext they will note that the server browser can now be used to join valve servers again, but at the cost of not receiving xp for their incredibly stupid and pointless ranked unranked quickplay casual cancer system.

also, valve servers will no longer punt all players from the server once the score limit is reached, leaving the servers playing for longer periods of time. xp will be distributed after each round (during victory time) in smaller amounts.

thats one way to bring pubs back without caving directly to "the haterz"

of course i am a super genius and this is pure gold, so there's no way they'd ever think of that.

And apparently b4nny stopped valve from buffing the reserve shooter, which they somehow got in their heads was a good idea. 

This the same B4nny who had said a really good update was coming that people would be happy with? Yeah gg B4nny you really spoke for the community there.

The FoV slider is fine, as long it's capped the min and max to prevent abuse. Why the heck should I play with "x" FoV if I find better "y" one?

The abandon penalty on Casual was totally dumb, and I'm glad they removed it. And they will never bring it back. Casual, as the name implies, is for Casual play (aka a better version of Pubs where the game pushes people to play more for the objective, educating new players to actually play and don't be campers/CoD walkers), and what you expect is to play for having fun, and being able to come and go whenever you want. Competitive instead is a more serious business and as competitive there must be severe penalties for abandoning, as you are damaging your team's performance.

queued for ranked-unranked mode ("Casual")

selected pl_frontier_final, pl_thundermountain, pl_borneo and cp_process

put into a match on pl_upward.

games dead, hit the lights.

queued for ranked-unranked mode ("Casual")

selected pl_frontier_final, pl_thundermountain, pl_borneo and cp_process

put into a match on pl_upward.

games dead, hit the lights.

Maybe there just weren't enough players for your combination of maps during the time you started the search in your area, and the server you were put in was in dire need of one or more players. It just happens.

Back in the time of the old pubs, you couldn't always choose your preferred map. You would just start the search for a single gamemode, and few selected servers were listed; for some of them, it was impossible to jump in because by the time you were choosing, they became full or restarted, while the list usually lacked some maps.

I picked 4 maps and they all had a full green bar. snakewater and gullywash had like a 2/3 yellow-green bar.

I'm assuming that bar has something to do with current matches available/connection quality to those games.

also I never waited 3 minutes to get put into the wrong map with the server browser.

facts.

A locked FoV means a fair and even match of FoVs between all players, which also means everyone's sightlines are the same and therefore balanced. Now some people are going to be at 57 and others will be at 70, 

Anybody who plays comp with a modicum of seriousness already has their FOV set to 70. The FOV standard for competitive FPS for years has been 80-90, so if you prefer something lower AND to be in a situation where everyone has to suffer with you, there's a great number of modern shooters with absolutely no modding tools and nauseatingly low FOV that might really appeal to you.

A locked FoV means a fair and even match of FoVs between all players, which also means everyone's sightlines are the same and therefore balanced. Now some people are going to be at 57 and others will be at 70, making it possible for one person to see someone else first, possibly causing issues. Now I am not saying this shouldn't be in Casual, heck keep it in casual if you want to at least set a bar, but don't plague the comp scene. 

A locked FoV is in no way a fair playing field. 57 fps is essentially like forcing yourself into a headache for 'fun'. There are many people who will feel sick when playing at a low FoV, me included.

Should I be locked out of the game because my brain isn't used to wearing 2 pieces of cardboard strapped at the edge of my eyes to make things 'fair'? No, just turn up your FoV if you think it's unfair that some other dude has their options set differently. It's literally like banning key rebinding because it gives you an advantage to use ESDF over WASD.

Fov is limited to give classes like spy a fair chance, personally i think they should just fix these classes rather so they can be good at what they are meant for, and the fact that some classes are useless in competitive say's enough already.

Since we talking about fov already anyway, what they done with viewmodels ? i liked the old viewmodels much more, now got super masive weapon on my screen again :|