Need help with build

Stitzy

Well ive been gaming on a laptop exclusively so far

Im looking at upgrading to a desktop that can run primarily tf2 and csgo at a very respectable rate 

I have a budget of around £500-£600

Lower power usage the better (need energy for my reptiles)

Cheers

Do you need any peripherals with the PC?

Also should we include an OS?

Do you play any other games that actually require a decent GPU? (Basically any other game that isn't something indie)

If you only play TF2/CS:GO it'll be simple to get you a system that can hit high FPS in those games.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/txBzNN- just a quick list I threw together to start things up

- CPU is only a dual-core but that's no problem for TF2/CSGO where clock speed matters most

- GPU might be 'overkill' if you don't really play any other games than TF2/CSGO you could save some buck here

- rest is just basic, you can adjust storage to your needs (do get an SSD if possible tho, believe me)

McCoolname will certainly point out its flaws and improve on it

Well, TF2/CSGO can both run extremely well on potatoes, and unless you have a 144hz monitor, there isn't any real advantage to being able to push more than 60fps. But anyway, this would be able to push like 150fps in TF2/CSGO: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rZNskTbut it wouldn't be great if you wanted to play anything newer/more demanding. 

Something like this would be much better bang for the buck and easily able to max out any current game at ultra settings 1080p. (The RX480 is just a filler until aftermarket 480s launch in a couple weeks). 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£178.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£47.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£25.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  (£220.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£22.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£50.51 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £589.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-29 00:28 BST+0100

Also, just to keep something in perspective, at idle basically any modern hardware will have a similar power draw, and you'll only ever be under load for a few hours a day at most (so at 4 hours a day, 365 days a year, assuming Â£0.12/kwh even the most power hungry modern-ish system -- R9 390x+i7-6700k -- would cost about $100/year~ vs. a super power efficient system -- $70/year~  ). 

Do you need any peripherals with the PC?

Also should we include an OS?

Do you play any other games that actually require a decent GPU? (Basically any other game that isn't something indie)

If you only play TF2/CS:GO it'll be simple to get you a system that can hit high FPS in those games.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/txBzNN- just a quick list I threw together to start things up

- CPU is only a dual-core but that's no problem for TF2/CSGO where clock speed matters most

- GPU might be 'overkill' if you don't really play any other games than TF2/CSGO you could save some buck here

- rest is just basic, you can adjust storage to your needs (do get an SSD if possible tho, believe me)

McCoolname will certainly point out its flaws and improve on it

The only thing I would say is that the B1 series isn't particularly good -- it's fine for a low end system, but I wouldn't want to put a 480 on it if it could be avoided. 

• Like 2

If you can wait a good while you can get the RX 460 which is intended for this situation and shave off a full 100 or so

Well ive been gaming on a laptop exclusively so far

Im looking at upgrading to a desktop that can run primarily tf2 and csgo at a very respectable rate 

I have a budget of around £500-£600

Lower power usage the better (need energy for my reptiles)

Cheers

Here's the best low-power CPU I could find https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4460-1150-BX80646I54460/dp/B00JIJUBAS