Thought about maining Medic, what's the best advice I can get for playing medic?

Loganog

Learn to surf, it's vital. Learn to track ubers, and play with people that do proper call outs. You'll stay alive so much easier if your team calls out that a soldier is bombing from IT rather than it being a complete surprise

• Like 2

If you can't find anyone to heal, run back to spawn and wait for someone to respawn. Always stay in motion, never stand still. Look behind you regularly if you know there is a spy on the enemy team. Don't follow spys around corners or steps if you don't know how to counter trickstabs. Stay out of sniper sight lines. And as said before, it is much MUCH easier to play with friends that you know and trust. Nothing is more frustrating than a player who uses your uber to do nothing.

This is for community servers/casual gamemode:

Unless you have some good players that take care of you in your team, and you can pocket, you should avoid the standard medigun and instead get one that takes advantage of multiple targets (every other medigun gets its special effect faster, also the Quick Fix heals faster if there is a dire need).

Generally you will almost never use your primary, and syringe guns are not very reliable, so you may safely put the crossbow for long range healing, or the Overdose to increase your survivability (as it makes you a tad faster, however it's quite a slim change. I hope it will be buffed in a future update). The amputator is a good melee as while it's your active weapon makes your passive healing faster, increasing again, your survivability.

Overall, your aim should be to keep yourself and the others alive.

For Competitive, it would be totally different.

This is for community servers/casual gamemode:

Unless you have some good players that take care of you in your team, and you can pocket, you should avoid the standard medigun and instead get one that takes advantage of multiple targets (every other medigun gets its special effect faster, also the Quick Fix heals faster if there is a dire need).

Generally you will almost never use your primary, and syringe guns are not very reliable, so you may safely put the crossbow for long range healing, or the Overdose to increase your survivability (as it makes you a tad faster, however it's quite a slim change. I hope it will be buffed in a future update). The amputator is a good melee as while it's your active weapon makes your passive healing faster, increasing again, your survivability.

Overall, your aim should be to keep yourself and the others alive.

For Competitive, it would be totally different.

Amputator? In pubs and normal comp, uber saw is the only viable option really, and in matchmaking you can use vitasaw. And seriously, you'd suggest vaccinator over normal medigun? Vacc requires so much coordination to be effective. Also, kritz is really questionable in defensive uses. I'd say quickfix>uber>kritz>Vacc in disorganised pubs.

• Like 1

Focus heals mainly towards Demo/Heavy, always full buff your Snipers/Sollies (Snipers so they don't get countersniped, and sollies so they can jump/bomb). Don't overextend into sight lines, but if it's vital then make your movement unpredictable. Any semi-competent Sniper will be able to kill a Medic that runs straight out into sight lines. If you want to get a tad more advanced, you can look into faking Ubers and possibly maincalling if you feel comfortable doing so. When to pop is also important. Generally, you want your team to force the enemy Med first, or at least wait for them to use then milk it for as long as you can then use back to catch out the combo. If you know a Sniper is watching, then don't be afraid to pop early. It's better that you fade early rather than dropping. Those are just some tips off the top of my head.

ALWAYS STAY BEHIND YOUR HEALING TARGET. edit: unless you popped uber

I cannot believe how many people make this mistake - if you are healing a player, you should aim to be as far back behind them as you can at almost any given time. This only doesn't apply to when you're baiting to save your pocket, but that's pretty damn advanced stuff.

Also, dance around as much as you can, jump on rocks and other props, continuously do 180° turns.

If you're trying to dodge a scout, crouch repeatedly whilst randomly walking from side to side, running away will only make it easier for him.

In case you are using any sort of communication, stay calm and focused. You die? You die. No reason to blame anyone. Be clear about everything you do, if you wanna keep the uber on for example the demoman, say so beforehand so that your heavy doesn't jump in expecting to be flashed which will drain your uber faster.

Get a hud that shows your ubercharge meter close to your crosshair if you don't have one yet. 

Source: Currently maining medic, played all the way up to prem mixes recently.

ALWAYS STAY BEHIND YOUR HEALING TARGET.

I cannot believe how many people make this mistake - if you are healing a player, you should aim to be as far back behind them as you can at almost any given time. This only doesn't apply to when you're baiting to save your pocket, but that's pretty damn advanced stuff.

Also, dance around as much as you can, jump on rocks and other props, continuously do 180° turns.

If you're trying to dodge a scout, crouch repeatedly whilst randomly walking from side to side, running away will only make it easier for him.

In case you are using any sort of communication, stay calm and focused. You die? You die. No reason to blame anyone.

Get a hud that shows your ubercharge meter close to your crosshair if you don't have one yet. 

Source: Currently maining medic, played all the way up to prem mixes recently.

I agree with most of this, and the second tip reminded me of something. The one exception to stay behind your heal target is when you pop. Body blocking enemies or a sentry is wonderfully helpful as it makes them easier for your heal target to take them out. 

I agree with most of this, and the second tip reminded me of something. The one exception to stay behind your heal target is when you pop. Body blocking enemies or a sentry is wonderfully helpful as it makes them easier for your heal target to take them out. 

Very true. Would like this post but I already gave puddingkip all my likes.

On topic though, during ubers remember to retreat early enough to survive post-uber. I usually call my retreat at around 20% and get the hell out of there.

watch some ArraySeven. That's what I did, and I'd say I'm a better Medic now.

ArraySeven is a clueless idiot focused on selfish play. At least he was last time I watched him - anyone who'd suggest to use the blutsauger like him should uninstall the game.

The art of playing medic is keeping your team in the fight, so that you won't require to defend yourself. This involves getting passive regen so you can heal your teammates instead of using stupid gimmicks like the blutsauger.

And even if your team gets wiped, if you stand there spamming your pathetic needles at the enemy, you've done it wrong to begin with. A very important aspect of playing medic is realising when your team is getting fucked and getting the hell out of there, instead of trying to fight.

He also once said Vaccinator is bad when it's probably the most ridiculously overpowered medigun for a vast majority of situations you'll encounter in a pub.

That's not to say he doesn't provide any useful information at all, but I wouldn't recommend him to anyone actually trying to become a good medic and potentially play comp as well.

Amputator? In pubs and normal comp, uber saw is the only viable option really, and in matchmaking you can use vitasaw. And seriously, you'd suggest vaccinator over normal medigun? Vacc requires so much coordination to be effective. Also, kritz is really questionable in defensive uses. I'd say quickfix>uber>kritz>Vacc in disorganised pubs.

Vitasaw cripples your maximum health (and overheal value) for the ability to store 19% of ubercharge. It may be useful in comp (except the leagues, where it is banned), however it does not help that much in a non-comp server. Uber saw is (almost) a straight upgrade to the default melee, however when will you have the possibility to actualy use it? A melee weapon for most classes, including the medic, is a last resort in short range, and it is unreliable.

In non-comp servers, the main focus should be surviving, rather than complex tactics or good combos (that you can't pull out with random guys).

Vitasaw cripples your maximum health (and overheal value) for the ability to store 19% of ubercharge. It may be useful in comp (except the leagues, where it is banned), however it does not help that much in a non-comp server. Uber saw is (almost) a straight upgrade to the default melee, however when will you have the possibility to actualy use it? A melee weapon for most classes, including the medic, is a last resort in short range, and it is unreliable.

In non-comp servers, the main focus should be surviving, rather than complex tactics or good combos (that you can't pull out with random guys).

I said the vitasaw was only good in matchmaking, due to it being banned everywhere. Having uber 20% faster than the enemy medic gives your team a 20% advantage, which is insane to constantly have.

And as a medic, if somebody focuses you and you don't get protected you either need a sick surf or you die. With ubersaw, you can get 1 melee hit in, uber yourself and run away and survive. Amputator is mediocre at best, although it really shines in medieval mode

• Like 1

Actually heal the pyro when your pocket Solly or demo gets picked, a decent pyro pocket will deter spies and keep those pesky rockets away from your face. When counter ubering, pyros are excellent choices as the air blast basically nullifies the uber.

Also, learn how to aim crossbow arrows, you really wouldn't expect the scout to stand still so you can fire a long range arrow to heal him, right?

Don't bother ubering f2ps as they usually just waste the charge.

Also, when using kritz, as a last resort, pop kritz on the sniper for long range 150 noscopes. Do this only if there are no other viable uber options.

If you can't run away from a fight, at least attempt to defend yourself.  Far too many isolated Medics die with their mediguns out.  The Blutsauger at least is quite capable of taking down cocky and/or wounded Pyros & Scouts.  

If you can't run away from a fight, at least attempt to defend yourself.  Far too many isolated Medics die with their mediguns out.  The Blutsauger at least is quite capable of taking down cocky and/or wounded Pyros & Scouts.  

I'm sure you know better than a guy that has 6x more hours on medic and has played comp medic for the majority of that time.

The crossbow can do the same, but doesn't come with that really annoying penalty and can even save your teammates instead of encouraging a selfish playstyle like blutsauger.

crossbow is the only medic primary in the game (as far as you are concerned for playing competitive)

don't overextend past the people you are healing and eat damage for no reason, when it wasn't even meant for you.

do learn how to surf off damage, it can get you out of a bad place and make you harder to finish off.

don't bother with the vita-saw. saving 19% (not 20%, it lies) of a FULL UBER is stupid. you can get 19% uber in seconds if you build properly, and if you died with full uber then ya blew it son. ubersaw is king.

all medi-guns now have the speed matching bonus that used to be quick-fix exclusive, so I'm not sure if quick-fix is no longer the meta or what. seems like stock medigun should be better now.

I said the vitasaw was only good in matchmaking, due to it being banned everywhere. Having uber 20% faster than the enemy medic gives your team a 20% advantage, which is insane to constantly have.

And as a medic, if somebody focuses you and you don't get protected you either need a sick surf or you die. With ubersaw, you can get 1 melee hit in, uber yourself and run away and survive. Amputator is mediocre at best, although it really shines in medieval mode

Ubersaw is just overrated. A medic should avoid using a melee in the first place. It WILL get you killed.

Also, Amputator is great for retreating. Adding +3 toyour passive regen makes so you can survive longer, and also it's a negation of afterburn (unless you have a Blutsauger, adding the amputator bonus makes impossible to die from afterburn as the damage per second is lower than the regen).

You can always have some good luck if your uber value is ≥75% and you are able to hit someone (even if the swing is slowed down), switch to your medigun (extra wasted time) and activate in time. But something tells me it rarely happens.

Ubersaw is just overrated. A medic should avoid using a melee in the first place. It WILL get you killed.

Also, Amputator is great for retreating. Adding +3 toyour passive regen makes so you can survive longer, and also it's a negation of afterburn (unless you have a Blutsauger, adding the amputator bonus makes impossible to die from afterburn as the damage per second is lower than the regen).

You can always have some good luck if your uber value is ≥75% and you are able to hit someone (even if the swing is slowed down), switch to your medigun (extra wasted time) and activate in time. But something tells me it rarely happens.

Heal scout and run to nearest pack, afterburn is a non factor. And med regen got buffed a LOT recently. And hitting an Ubersaw hit happens quite a bit, even in the highest levels of Tf2. Despite the amputator being whitelisted I've never seen a med run it, everybody always used the Ubersaw

• Like 1