Keyless Crates and the Importance of Keys

Keroro1454

Before I discuss anything, let me be very clear. This is not a post about how "teh econumee iz ded". I don't believe the economy is going anywhere for quite some time, this is simply a discussion on the importance of keys now, and their future.

So, as we all know, the Meet your Match update introduced the Keyless crates. These "crates" have 10 variations, one for each class and then one "Multi/All-class". They cost the same amount as a key, and when unboxed will yield a cosmetic of whatever class you unboxed, having a chance to be strange, unusual, or even strange and unusual. This means that EVERY cosmetic can be strange, and all hats can be unusual, regardless of whether strange/unusual variants were available before.

Obviously, this kind of opportunity, and the ability to fine-tune your unboxing (To a degree) means that these crates are extremely enticing. But there's a small issue here- they don't need keys. In fact, with the exception of the recent Crate #103, we haven't "needed" keys for over a year, the last time being in March of 2015 with the release of  Crate #92. Additionally, the release of #103 as a "normal" crate seems to be an outlier caused by a near-constant outcry by members of the community to be given stranges for weapons that lacked them.

Given this trend by Valve to ignore using Mann Co. keys and instead release "crate/case specific" keys, coupled with the incredible potential of these new "keyless" cosmetic crates which have the potential to be "THE" item to unbox, the question that I'm surprised no one has posed yet is simple: "What place do keys have in this new future?" Will they continue to be considered "pure", or is it possible that they may fade into relative obscurity, similar (Though obviously not exactly) to the Bill's, Earbuds, etc.

On a related note concerning keyless crates, is it likely that all-classes will drop further, given the majority of players seem to go for the Multi-class crate and thus are inducing a massive influx of unusual all-classes?

More than likely, they'll still be seen as pure, the same with refined metal. It's much easier to have 10 keys in a trade, rather than 100 refined. Buds most likely aren't seen as a currency nowadays, due to the fact that the key->bud price was dilly-dallying about, plus, there aren't any ways as to get them any more as they were given as a promotional item. Plus, since Valve will still be releasing munitions crates and cases, they still have a purpose.

On your second note, if I recall correctly, the keyless crates are here to stay. Most likely, we'll be seeing more sales of these crates (especially the multi-class one) than the Mann Co. Supply Crate key due to the efficiency of unboxing (you'd need to pick out your crate series if you were to buy Mann Co. Supply Crate keys, plus, you'd be restricted to some effects) pretty soon. Demand for these crates will also rise, along with supply, however, supply will be more than demand and thus, we'll see some drops in refined prices for these at times, dwindling from 0.8 - 1.05 keys. With people continuously buying the multi-class crate, it's very likely that we'll see some new unusuals, as well as some god tiers (we've already seen a newly unboxed GE Casemaker) and I'd be guessing the price of some unusual all-classes (those ranging in the hundreds of keys and/or have multiple duped versions) would drop.

But hey, that's my educated guess on the whole situation.

Kind of hard to predict right now. These new crates have brought a bunch of new strange cosmetics which are still highly volatile in price. The multi class cosmetics are getting very close to stabilization for reasons stated above, but single class cosmetics are still very low in supply. I imagine keys will fall as these strange cosmetics and unusuals sastify needs for cosmetics.

Unfinished, going to edit my post later

This unlocked crates will probably stop dropping sooner or later, like Unlocked Creepy Crates did.

I hope not.  They have potential for TF2 Halloween event.

As long as there are crates on the market that can be unboxed with these keys, their value shouldn't change at all. Just look at the special keys out there: they are still $2.5 on SCM, even those that nobody really cares about anymore (Robo, Stockpile, EotL etc.) 

Well are all unusual effects available in these new crates?

Like 1 st gen effects have always been locked to the first 24 crates (or whatever it is) which require keys to open. 

Then you have EOTL-effects, alien-effects, robo-effects and so on locked in older crates which require keys to open. 

So unless these new crates offer all effects in the game I can not see them taking over the market. 

Like 1 st gen effects have always been locked to the first 24 crates (or whatever it is) which require keys to open. 

Then you have EOTL-effects, alien-effects, robo-effects and so on locked in older crates which require keys to open. 

So unless these new crates offer all effects in the game I can not see them taking over the market.

The keyless crates do have 1st gen effects. Both a purple energy hatless hat and a searing plasma deep cover operator has been unboxed.

Not all of them, but you can get a series 1, 2, or 3 effect.

They don't possess these effects, but then again normal keys can't open these crates either

It looks like series 1 to 3.  29 unusual effects.  It would be the same with Halloween unusual effects, series 1 to 3. Can't get unusual effects from the Gargoyle cases.

So, it does have potential if Keyless crates are permanently active.

Just saw someone unboxed got a Burning Brigade Helm from a single Keyless Pyro crate.  Amazing!

The keyless crates do have 1st gen effects. Both a purple energy hatless hat and a searing plasma deep cover operator has been unboxed.

That explains why 2 purlpe energy muffs have shown up in less then 5 days after 0 have existed since the muffs was released. :P

Can not say it is a bad thing really. Now all those people sitting with 1 gen hats demanding 1500 keys OR collectors sitting on 1 of 1-hats are less important. 

Finally they might drop in value so more people can afford 1 st gen unusuals. 

Can not say it is a bad thing really. Now all those people sitting with 1 gen hats demanding 1500 keys OR collectors sitting on 1 of 1-hats are less important. 

Finally they might drop in value so more people can afford 1 st gen unusuals. 

I'm doubting it. We may see a slight dip in multi-class hats simply because those are because those crates are being opened at a much higher rate compared to the single class ones. But even then, your odds of getting a specific unusual out of a multi-class crate is around 1 in 150,000.