Turkish Coup

Buy my mixtape fam

So, as you probably already know, Turkey is currently undergoing a coup (which is pretty likely to fail at this point). This started with a small portion of the army storming Ankara and Istanbul. The coup actually had a decent chance of working, except a large part of the army fought against the coup for the government.

Your opinions on the coup? Do you think their government should be overthrown?

kNKHD00.png

I hope they figure themselves out peacefully because I kinda like my life the way it is without all out war.

Is this the part where we PrayForTurkey instead of saying "aight guys you take care" now that people have died?

Is this the part where we PrayForTurkey instead of saying "aight guys you take care" now that people have died?

I think at this point we're better off pushing the #PrayForTheWorld instead of constantly changing countries.

Nah, Turkey is largely Muslim so the attitude will probably be something like "well that's a shame but I guess life goes on".

Im a random 15 year old from Turkey and now the coup is over. I kinda scared because they started to take over media centers and bridges as well as airports. Now everything is fine and everyone who caused this is now getting arrested. Also for me the government should be overthrown but not in this way. Our president is a dickhead. Just search "Why Turkish People Hate Their President ?". You will find some interesting results :D

Erdogan (turkish mafia) financed Daesh and terrorism in Syria. He is an islamist and behaves like a democrat but he is nothing like it.

I am a bit disappointed the coup seems to have failed. The army in Egypt overthrew Morsi and that was for the best.

Anyway, the coup has failed but the problems are still there...

Expect more tensions to happen in Turkey with Erdogan at the presidency (or someone else with the same ideology).

Erdogan (turkish mafia) financed Daesh and terrorism in Syria. He is an islamist and behaves like a democrat but he is nothing like it.

I am a bit disappointed the coup seems to have failed. The army in Egypt overthrew Morsi and that was for the best.

Anyway, the coup has failed but the problems are still there...

Expect more tensions to happen in Turkey with Erdogan at the presidency (or someone else with the same ideology).

You mean more military coups? such as the ones that turkey has every 10-15 years for the past century. I don't think so. I seriously dislike Erdogan, but he seriously weakened the grip of the military on the Turkish state, which is at least in theory a good thing, but in reality Erdogan and his purges of the military and his fight with Güllem remind me of Stalin and his struggle with Trotsky, although Erdogan is a fascist much more than a stalinist. At times it feels like the military was the last sensible power left in Turkey, defending the Turks from themselves in a change that is pretty much copied from Plato's Politeia in which the democracy becomes a tyranny (note that Plato's tyrant is not necessarily evil, that is a later meaning of the word).

Also, last night the Turkish community in my city drove around all night playing the Turkish anthem, singing and beeping their claxons. Quite annoying when there's a large Turkish restaurant in your street. The Dutch Turkish community is almost unanimously Erdogan supporters by the way

Turkey's very own Munich Putsch. Although I'd have more sympathy for Erdogan if he wasn't a tyrant.

Oh, and you can blame it on Brexit.

Why would Brexit be a cause for a coup in a country barely part of Europe

wut

I hear Erdogan has been pushing Turkey further towards a combined church and state type of thing, like how it was in the Ottoman Empire, whereas the military is supposed to uphold the base foundation of a Secular nation - I guess if the first part is the case, some people just got pissed off and tried to do what was done in the past, doing it very late at night/early morning is reminiscent of the 1980 coup I believe, which was successful.

I don't have any sources to cite on anything I have said here other than British news sources, feel free to either provide proof or disprove for anything above :)

Why would Brexit be a cause for a coup in a country barely part of Europe

wut

Exactly.

I hear Erdogan has been pushing Turkey further towards a combined church and state type of thing,

Seems like it's already happening.