When do you think tf2/tf2 economy will die out?

TheGibusNoob

Never, unless important economy sites such as bp.tf are closed, which probably will take a while to fall into a deadly crisis

Depends what die out means to you. If you mean when all items literally have 0 value, maybe not until the game itself is taken off servers and stuff. If youre talking about a fully functioning economy it is very stagnant and close to being dead right now, if it isnt by now. 

Anybody who thinks the games economy is going to die soon doesn't have any idea of what they're talking about. As long as it keeps getting updated it'll be alive and well.

When the economy becomes crammed full of trading bots that make normal trading and turning a profit incredibly hard.

Oh wait... 

• Like 2

The game itself will last for years.  People still play TF Classic, after all.  The current economic model is unsustainable however.  There are too many high-end hats (especially with single-class hats becoming multi-class and now certain classic hats becoming unusual), with not enough buyers willing to pay anywhere near current asking prices.  The game isn't popular enough for kids or dedicated enthusiasts to regularly invest large sums of money in purchasing expensive items, so I think realistically the amount someone can expect to receive when cashing out is going to steadily decline.  People will always want high-end hats as long as the game exists, they just won't be willing to pay much in a market saturated with them.  It's a classic buyer's market, and I think prices are going to increasingly reflect that reality.  

It aint about profit, its about what the people want. Long as theres a supply of hats, and a demand for them, the economy will survive. Trading is pretty dead, considering all the confirm bullshit happened. But anyways i think itll survive long enough, theres always going to be doomsayers :P

When the economy becomes crammed full of trading bots that make normal trading and turning a profit incredibly hard.

Oh wait...

What are you talking about? I made $30 profit just through price speculation on the new strange cosmetics. Bots are taking over regular trading which is why you have to be a bit more clever.

When people don't see any value in the items anymore, which most likely won't happen any time soon.

100% correct, and its my goal to prove it, but the people in charge don't care, so... its hard to convince.

Ohh well... People don't feel like saving their own economy.

What are you talking about? I made $30 profit just through price speculation on the new strange cosmetics. Bots are taking over regular trading which is why you have to be a bit more clever.

Yeah that's good, but remember, some Bot owners are not just bots, we also look for market changes and go after them too.

100% correct, and its my goal to prove it, but the people in charge don't care, so... its hard to convince.

Ohh well... People don't feel like saving their own economy.

Not sure what you're talking about. In an economy like TF2's, there's nobody "in charge" of anything. Except for Gabe Newell of course ;)

Not to mention that there's nothing to save, since nothing has been destroyed yet. (Yeah, I said "yet", because unfortunately there's an end to everything.)

Working around the problem isnt fixing the problem 

It aint about profit, its about what the people want. Long as theres a supply of hats, and a demand for them, the economy will survive. Trading is pretty dead, considering all the confirm bullshit happened. But anyways i think itll survive long enough, theres always going to be doomsayers :P

Supply is far outpacing demand right now. Pricing are being drilled lowed because not enough people are buying at average prices and high tier hats arent being bought at the volume they use to be because theyre being priced out of most trader's price ranges. 

Anybody who thinks the games economy is going to die soon doesn't have any idea of what they're talking about. As long as it keeps getting updated it'll be alive and well.

Bug fixes and class updates dont fix an economy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bug fixes and class updates dont fix an economy. 

However it does keep the game economy constant(even if its in a bad state).

However it does keep the game economy constant(even if its in a bad state).

the economy would stay constant until the game is taken off steam or the playerbase dies out to so few people that no one sells anymore. updates dont mean anything to the economy besides feeding it new items

http://steamcharts.com/app/440#All

as long as people keep playing tf2, and it'll be many years

All that chart proves is that the game is dying. April there was 80k+ players, now on a weekend the 24hr peak was 60k. That's quite the decline, especially seeing April's 80k players wasn't just a spike, it was pretty constant at that for a while.