Graphic card question

Happysedits

So I currently have NVIDIA GeForce GT610 and I wanna upgrade to MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G but I'm not sure if my other components in my computer are enough to take the GTX 960 one, he's my computer:

Processor Intel® Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz

Speed 2.9 GHz

2 cores

Ram 8gb

700W a source of power

SOLVED

Im going with:
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G
Intel Core i5-6600K

You'll want to upgrade your CPU too, you will experience major bottlenecking with such an ancient CPU.

You'll want to upgrade your CPU too, you will experience major bottlenecking with such an ancient CPU.

''ancient '' lmao xD sad truth FeelsBadMan

and nothing else then?

This i3 wouldn't be enough for it.

Also if you need a new cpu then check their sockets first, cuz the one you posted won't fit into your moba. Check i5 6600k.

This i3 wouldn't be enough for it.

Also if you need a new cpu then check their sockets first, cuz the one you posted won't fit into your moba. Check i5 6600k.

-deleted-

What about RX 480? It may take some time to snag one since it's a pretty new card but you'll get way better performance/$$$

im going with

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G

Intel Core i5-6600K

A 6600k and a 960 is a blegh combination for gaming. You would be better off getting a faster GPU and a locked i5 (although with a 480/1060 you could get a faster GPU and a 6600k and that would be better).

And before you make any decisions, answer these three questions.

1. What games do you play? 
  2. What resolution monitor do you have? 
  3. and what power supply do you have? (what exact model? -- 700w doesn't mean anything as it could technically only be able to deliver 200w on the 12v rail, which is the one that really matters and/or it could be a piece of shit)

What about RX 480? It may take some time to snag one since it's a pretty new card but you'll get way better performance/$$$

Seconded, not the reference 480, but I would recommend getting an aftermarket 480 (or waiting a few days and seeing the 1060's performance/price -- probably slightly faster than a 480 for a bit more money).

A 6600k and a 960 is a blegh combination for gaming. You would be better off getting a faster GPU and a locked i5 (although with a 480/1060 you could get a faster GPU and a 6600k and that would be better).

And before you make any decisions, answer these three questions.

1. What games do you play? 
  2. What resolution monitor do you have? 
  3. and what power supply do you have? (what exact model? -- 700w doesn't mean anything as it could technically only be able to deliver 200w on the 12v rail, which is the one that really matters and/or it could be a piece of shit)

Seconded, not the reference 480, but I would recommend getting an aftermarket 480 (or waiting a few days and seeing the 1060's performance/price -- probably slightly faster than a 480 for a bit more money).

1.830493116b984b25ace67736683c8ec6.png

+ Minecraft with 180 mods, but on all of these games except on csgo big maps like de_train and Trackmania Canyon where I have less than 20 FPS, Im buying new comp so I can enjoy games in my library like wicher 2 (where I have 15 FPS so its unplayable) and the newest trackmanias

2.1280x768

3. Ill answer tommrow

Actually, when are you planning to get this new stuff? (Also if you're going for that 6600k you're going to need new DDR4 RAM) The RX 470 may be a better fit for your usage scenario while also having a starting price of $150 USD. The only issue is that that card actually hasn't even launched yet but should within the next couple weeks apparently.

Actually, when are you planning to get this new stuff? (Also if you're going for that 6600k you're going to need new DDR4 RAM) The RX 470 may be a better fit for your usage scenario while also having a starting price of $150 USD. The only issue is that that card actually hasn't even launched yet but should within the next couple weeks apparently.

this summer

Ok so this just in about the GTX 1060. Nvidia has said that the 1060 will have a starting price $250 USD for the 6GB version (aftermarket only) with a $300 "Founders Edition" (essentially just a reference card that offers no advantage whatsoever). Card is said to launch on July 19. Currently reference RX 480s can be seen for around $200 and $240 for the 4 GB and 8 GB versions on places like Newegg (though currently all out of stock).

Currently Nvidia seems to claim that the 1060 will be 15% faster than the 480 though some supposed leaks claim that it is more around 8-10%. On top of that the 480 supports Async Compute on a hardware level, a feature which improves performance in DX12 and Vulkan titles, which has already proven itself to be very useful with the current generation of consoles. Current Nvidia cards use a software solution for this instead, which has proven not as effective as having actual hardware to handle this. In the end though it's just a matter of preference and availability for your decision.

Ok, nevermind changing my mind

gonna maybe buy this prebuild (it should be gaming prebuild)

https://www.alza.cz/gaming/hp-pavilion-550-102nc-natural-silver-d3029391.htm?catid=18858132

its 

Intel Core i5 6400 Skylake, RAM 8GB DDR3L, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5, SSD 128GB + HDD 2TB 7200, DVD, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB 3.0, B&O play, USB keyboard and mouse, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (P4R77EA)

i asked reddit too so lets see https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4s0l4q/good_gaming_prebuild_to_buy/

Why 960 why not wait for a 1060 ? 1060 was just announced btw

it will be expensive af anyway, 960 is good enough

is the difference big?

is the difference big?

Its about to be launched i would just wait for it, changes are they will price it to counter the polaris which would be bad news for amd but good news for you.

is the difference big?

A 1060 is rumored to be about 10% faster than a 480 and about twice as fast as a 960. 

It looks like you ordered it already, but I would recommend cancelling and switching to a 6600k instead if you can as an FX8320 is about the same performance in rendering but worse in gaming AND I see that it's paired with a 970 chipset board, which will likely be pretty shitty (meaning that you won't be able to overclock the CPU and the FX8320 desperately needs to be overclocked).

It looks like you ordered it already, but I would recommend cancelling and switching to a 6600k instead if you can as an FX8320 is about the same performance in rendering but worse in gaming AND I see that it's paired with a 970 chipset board, which will likely be pretty shitty (meaning that you won't be able to overclock the CPU and the FX8320 desperately needs to be overclocked).

It's fine as is, maybe even overkill. The usage scenario is playing games that aren't exactly demanding at sub 1080 resolution so the extra cost from the change to such an Intel platform would be unjustified. Besides, not everyone is an enthusiast who cares about overclocking. Some people just want something that works well as is.