Who's your favorite guitarist?

Explosion-chan

I'd have to say Tom Scholz of Boston. It helps that I've heard him in concert. Here's a few examples of why he's my favorite

Gary Clark Jr. is nice, I like his style and he's kind of an underdog.

BB King is just... incredible - feeling-wise

Joe Satriani has mastered the instrument

Joe Bonamassa has gooood skills and an nice voice, but I don't like the way he's on stage.

Pretty biased but Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dave Grohl for stage personality and rhythm

Chris Shiflett for pure skill in solos

Syntster Gates(A7x/Avenged Sevenfold)

Dave Grohl(Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Queens of Stone Age, Tenacious D) 

Dave Mustaine(Megadeth)

My Favorite Top guitarists 

• Like 2

Brian May was fucking awesome when I saw him at Queen+Adam Lambert. He is also incredibly good on track, but wow he was great live.

Also Slash is really good but his concerts are way overpriced so never been there

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

In my personal opinion after hearing many guitarists, David is by FAR one of the best ever if not the best that ever lived. 

When he plays guitar, it's not just strumming strings. He speaks through his cords. If you listen to close to some of his melodies you can sometimes place words to them. Such as his solo on Hey You from the 1979 Pink Floyd Album The Wall, where his guitar is strumming the chorus of Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2

That's something unique I've found of his guitar, his work is never lackluster in quality. Every strum counts. 

His solos are the backbone of Floyd's popular catalog. Rather than showing how fast he can move his fingers to make blazing fast solos, they are shower and have more depth behind them. His solos have always blown me away and continued to impress on me no matter how many times I listen to them, which is rare for me to be able to listen to the same thing over and over and not grow tired of hearing it. 

When he has played a slide guitar it's always been unique out of everything else I've heard. 

When on acoustic guitars he always takes it a step above the rest for me in his whole style and skill of playing. 

Next, on an entirely different plane of other guitarists. He doesn't need a studio to make him sound good. He is just as good if not better when playing live then when recording in the studio.

I think this is the main reason why he stands out to me as the best. Whenever I would hear people playing live I would always wonder why they sounded so bad. Then I heard David live. His guitar live is some of the only guitar I can bare listening to a live performance of, since his skill and power behind his cords are even more pronounced live.

Examples of why he's great: get ready for a whole bunch of links

First, the outstanding studio recordings. 

Now, some of the best live performances.

• Like 4

In my personal opinion, there are 3 guitarists who I find the greatest to have ever lived.

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd (see Jams' post for reasons, also listen to this: 

for proof)

Jimi Hendrix: He played with soul and feeling any time he picked up a guitar. When you watch his live performances, he plays with such a flair you can't see (obviously) from the studio recordings. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan: He played guitar with a mix of blues and country. His cover of Hendrix' Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) was a perfectly executed cover of the song. Covers aside, Cold Shot was one of the best songs he did, and the music video is funny.

tl;dr gilmour is my favorite with hendrix and SRV as 2nd and 3rd place, respectively

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

In my personal opinion after hearing many guitarists, David is by FAR one of the best ever if not the best that ever lived. 

When he plays guitar, it's not just strumming strings. He speaks through his cords. If you listen to close to some of his melodies you can sometimes place words to them. Such as his solo on Hey You from the 1979 Pink Floyd Album The Wall, where his guitar is strumming the chorus of Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2

That's something unique I've found of his guitar, his work is never lackluster in quality. Every strum counts. 

His solos are the backbone of Floyd's popular catalog. Rather than showing how fast he can move his fingers to make blazing fast solos, they are shower and have more depth behind them. His solos have always blown me away and continued to impress on me no matter how many times I listen to them, which is rare for me to be able to listen to the same thing over and over and not grow tired of hearing it. 

When he has played a slide guitar it's always been unique out of everything else I've heard. 

When on acoustic guitars he always takes it a step above the rest for me in his whole style and skill of playing. 

Next, on an entirely different plane of other guitarists. He doesn't need a studio to make him sound good. He is just as good if not better when playing live then when recording in the studio.

I think this is the main reason why he stands out to me as the best. Whenever I would hear people playing live I would always wonder why they sounded so bad. Then I heard David live. His guitar live is some of the only guitar I can bare listening to a live performance of, since his skill and power behind his cords are even more pronounced live.

Examples of why he's great: get ready for a whole bunch of links

First, the outstanding studio recordings. 

Now, some of the best live performances.

i love davi gilmour. i remember back in high school cruisin around in my friends dodge omni gettin baked listenin to the division bell and that was fun but one day we crashed off a bridge and he died i survived and high hopes wa splaying :(

• Like 3