26 keys RIP,aka unique=normal

Spooky Scary Skeleton

So,i didn't know how much a Spec KS Black rose worths.(http://backpack.tf/classifieds?item=Black%20Rose&quality=6&tradable=1&craftable=1&australium=-1&killstreak_tier=2)it says 350-350+.

So i was like ah fuck it,i can only win,if i buy it for 40.

So i did,in unusuals,i was like ok now im gonna buy something around 60-70 key.Well no,because Troll Pumpkin told me that i got scammed like shit.(hang me)

This happened,because backpack.tf shows the NORMAL price and not the UNIQUE price of the Black Rose.

So i would be happy if i could get my 26 keys back,because this shit worths like 14k.

Will this bug be ever fixed?Idk.I think no.Rip 26 keys.hang me.

Could someone explain to me what exactly the issue here is? 

In the link the OP put up it shows it as worth a shed load of keys.   Why is the OP saying it is worth 14?   It seems to be to do with normal vs unique, but i dont understand.  I'd like to know so I don't make a mistake like this in the future!

Well, that sucks, but you will never, EVER get something worth 350 keys for 40.

If you see something that's too good to be true, 100% chance that it's just a mix-up or misrepresentation somewhere, and you're not going to walk away with huge profits.

iFjJCu1.jpg

Also, you've got to check prices. I know it shows the normal price for the unique spec. ks black rose, but you've got to double-check everything. You're in unusual trading (at least value-wise), and prices have to be checked 3 times, every time. SCM shows ~$40, and typing it in the search bar shows you ~14 keys. So yeh. No free lunches in TF2 trading. Check your prices twice, and don't jump at "easy money".

I know the feel, though. It's happened to all of us. At least you're only out a couple dozen keys or so :/

Could someone explain to me what exactly the issue here is? 

In the link the OP put up it shows it as worth a shed load of keys.   Why is the OP saying it is worth 14?   It seems to be to do with normal vs unique, but i dont understand.  I'd like to know so I don't make a mistake like this in the future!

Backpack.tf is showing the wrong price for it.

Ok, so here's the Black Rose:

iFjJCu1.jpg

The Normal (grey) is worth a shit-ton; the Unique (yellow) is worth ~14.

The Specialized KS Unique Black Rose should be worth just a bit more than 14.  However, this site for some glitchy reason uses the Normal price for it.

FK98ThK.jpg

So OP thought he was getting the deal of the century.

How to avoid?

Double-check your prices. If you see a huge difference between something's bp.tf price and its SCM price, that's a huge red flag (the Spec. Black Rose, as  you can see above, is 756-918 keys vs. $48 on the SCM.

To be fair, it does also show the SCM price right below.  

On a different note, can you leave a -trust for all those sellers?  At least 3 out of the 4 sellers clearly know damn well (judging by their backpacks) that this thing is worth 14 keys and they're very actively trying to exploit a website bug.  It's a scummy move and I think it warrants a -trust.  At the end of the day, I don't really care, but if the goal is to keep the community clean, something like this should be highlighted somewhere at least. 

To be fair, it does also show the SCM price right below.  

On a different note, can you leave a -trust for all those sellers?  At least 3 out of the 4 sellers clearly know damn well (judging by their backpacks) that this thing is worth 14 keys and they're very actively trying to exploit a website bug.  It's a scummy move and I think it warrants a -trust.  At the end of the day, I don't really care, but if the goal is to keep the community clean, something like this should be highlighted somewhere at least. 

Gr8 job m8, I r8 8/8. Sympathy ends here, as far as I'm concerned

eQbcDHu.jpg

Well isn't that ironic....and also somewhat proves my point. 

How to avoid?

Double-check your prices. If you see a huge difference between something's bp.tf price and its SCM price, that's a huge red flag (the Spec. Black Rose, as  you can see above, is 756-918 keys vs. $48 on the SCM.

OP's point is that he shouldn't have to double check his prices. He should be able to trust that backpack.tf won't give him the wrong price to begin with.

On a different note, can you leave a -trust for all those sellers?  

I took the liberty of doing so. If any of them feel the need to argue, they can always flag the -trust and let a mod decide. :P

OP's point is that he shouldn't have to double check his prices. He should be able to trust that backpack.tf won't give him the wrong price to begin with.

I get that, and it's a good point. However, when you're in unusual-tier trading, you always have to double check your prices.

Also, it shows the SCM price on the item. Slow down and read a bit, and it could have been easily avoided.

Backpack.tf is a GUIDE, it is focusing on trying to be as accurate as possible. But that doesn't mean it is 100% of the time or even 50%. It is a guide for prices, not the holy bible. Take the price into account and do your own research.

Haha.. well… I still remember 1 year ago when I was in school and when steam mobile authenticator aint out yet… I got someone who offered me 20 buds for my Unusuals worth 200 keys. It was my b/o price, so I accepted it. I checked backpack.tf page and saw buds were still 10-12 keys, who knows.. classifieds has 3 keys sellers for a bud and I accepted the trade offer happily. Was just away from trading for 3 days and.. BOOM. Well… Its probably 60% the site fault and 40% your fault for not checking. R.I.P.. at least you lose less than me.

Its probably 60% the site fault and 40% your fault for not checking. R.I.P.. at least you lose less than me.

... But they did check the price.  That's what got them in trouble in the first place.  And all of the sellers are profit whores, so no help there.  They shouldn't also be expected to review the tiny SCM text, which is useless for the vast majority of trades.  

It's kind of astounding to see hand-wringing by backpack staff over "what can we, the trading community, do to combat scammers?" in one thread, while this obviously exploitative crap goes completely unpunished.  At least put up a warning that the price is bugged, I mean Jesus Christ.  People rely on this site to provide them with accurate information, if you can't fix the problem quickly at least let people know it exists.  

It's kind of astounding to see hand-wringing by backpack staff over "what can we, the trading community, do to combat scammers?" in one thread, while this obviously exploitative crap goes completely unpunished. At least put up a warning that the price is bugged, I mean Jesus Christ. People rely on this site to provide them with accurate information, if you can't fix the problem quickly at least let people know it exists.

I agree. Everytime backpack updated, some function goes buggy without any notification or whatever to warn the user. Something simple as "the website is being updated so

Alright,so i'm just fucked.

Gr8 job m8, I r8 8/8. Sympathy ends here, as far as I'm concerned

eQbcDHu.jpg

This one's being removed already,i had like -5 trust.

Alright,so i'm just fucked.

This one's being removed already,i had like -5 trust.

I hope it doesn't get removed.  You lost out because you weren't thorough enough (the SCM price is literally right below the key price; didn't the fact that BP says 700 keys and SCM says $40 raise any red flags?  Did you even bother to check SCM?  You should have, you could have bought one there for the equivalent of 14 keys, not the 40 you paid).  Now you're trying to profit from the situation.   This is literally the shittiest thing a person can do:  something bad happens to you and to make it right, you try to do something bad to someone else.  You deserve more than a -trust.  

Yes,well fuck you,because i didn't even know this shit at the first place and i offered for unusuals worth like 600+ keys.That's the -trust

Yes,well fuck you,because i didn't even know this shit at the first place and i offered for unusuals worth like 600+ keys.That's the -trust

Yea, that's exactly the problem.  You're trying to exploit the very glitch you fell "victim" to.  Honestly, can you not see how that's morally bankrupt?  

Can't you see i just want my money back?

Yea, I can see it and no, I don't understand where you're coming from.  You lost $50 due to stupidity and greed.  Get over it and stop trying to blame others for your own errors.  That's not even to mention the logical fallacy of saying "I want my money back (26 keys)" and then trying to get items wroth literally 30x as much as you lost.  

I already explaindet,that i thought the black rose worths more than 500 keys FOR THE FIRST TIME.I Can't explain you this better.I made offers for unusuals worth like 500+,BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE BLACK ROSE.

Can you handle this,or you still want to talk shit to me?

Archived