Questions about brokering

sleepyhead_

I'm considering a brokering service at some point in the future and I am not very familiar with the subject. It would be appreciated if some more experienced users would be able to answer some of my questions and give me some advice to help me out.

1) What is the full process of brokering for people, including how to deal with offers and such?

I know the basic concept but before I get into it I want to make sure that I completely understand how it works and what to do.

2) When is it best to start brokering?

Should my backpack be above a certain value? How much rep should I have?

3) What is a good way to start building up rep and where should I do it?

I currently have no positive or negative reputation, so where is a good point to start so that I can eventually get to the point at which people can trust me to broker for them? Are there any other ways to prove myself trustworthy and reputable?

4) What percentage fee should I charge if I actually want some customers?

5) Is there anything else I should know or have? (For instance, I heard that I should have TF2Outpost Premium)

Thanks!

I wouldn't start brokering as of now, as there are a bunch of recent scandals involving brokers stealing items.

It's best to start with brokering your friends items before going public, that's what I'm doing at least. Your friend will trust you and they will give you rep on backpack.tf if you are successful. I don't plan on doing public brokering for a long time though, lot's of brokers that are scammers.

I wouldn't start brokering as of now, as there are a bunch of recent scandals involving brokers stealing items.

Cough Cough

*cough intesifies*

It's best to start with brokering your friends items before going public, that's what I'm doing at least. Your friend will trust you and they will give you rep on backpack.tf if you are successful. I don't plan on doing public brokering for a long time though, lot's of brokers that are scammers.

You say that like I have friends...

Seems like a good way of building rep though, I'll definitely look into brokering for friends if I get the chance.

As a broker myself, I can tell you many things. You need lots of rep for PayPal deals and a sizable backpack, with trading experience. Charge whatever you want as long as you're good at it, but make sure you ARE good at it. I prefer to go on the cheap side. Start with lower tier stuff first before the big stuff. Additionally, when it comes to negotiation, never give in. Be polite up to a point, don't take any shit, and make your rules clear. You don't want these people to be your friends, you want them to think of you as efficient and ready to get the job done. You also don't want them to think of you as spineless, so again, make your rules clear, and be firm above all. Bp.tf premium and outpost premium are good but not needed If you're active.

That's my advice,

HarryG

As a broker myself, I can tell you many things. You need lots of rep for PayPal deals and a sizable backpack, with trading experience. Charge whatever you want as long as you're good at it, but make sure you ARE good at it. I prefer to go on the cheap side. Start with lower tier stuff first before the big stuff. Additionally, when it comes to negotiation, never give in. Be polite up to a point, don't take any shit, and make your rules clear. You don't want these people to be your friends, you want them to think of you as efficient and ready to get the job done. You also don't want them to think of you as spineless, so again, make your rules clear, and be firm above all. Bp.tf premium and outpost premium are good but not needed If you're active.

That's my advice,

HarryG

Focus more on the first two things Harry has mentioned. Sizable Backpack is a must for the majority since it shows that you would have more to lose if you scammed as it would greatly impact your own trading. Paypal trades and +rep on the actual site rep is a must too (none of the steam profile rep since thats easily faked).

Friends are a good start but nobody else will take you seriously or give you a chance unless you have the first two things. They will also see friends as a biased trust on the site and will often just disregard it.

Honest advice is just dont broker. Focus on your own bp and get more of a feel for trading in quick succession. Brokers who are fast but efficient will always be seen in higher regard than those who take months to sell an item.

Keeping up to date with high tier unusual price suggestions can help too. Shows you how value affects items in different ways as well as giving you more insight into item values and recent sales for outdated unusuals.

Here's the thing about most brokers:  they are vastly overrated, plain and simple.  The only thing most brokers offer you is to list your items using OP premium.  Great, so now you items get seen more.  This is something that's a complete non-value add when you have premium yourself, and even if you don't, it's not that much better, especially when we're talking about unusuals.  

Here's what I'd be looking for in a broker: I give you my hats and you go out and hustle.  By that I mean actively going around and offering the hats, as opposed to just waiting for offers to come in (I can do that myself).  Of course at the same time, you actually need to make profit.  So for me, I would envision something like this:  I give you a hat that's worth 50 keys.  I will give you 4 weeks to come back to me with items equaling 70 keys.  For that, I would give you 10 keys, so i.e we split the profit.  

If you can do that, and build a track record of doing so, then you will be well on your way.  

Here's the thing about most brokers:  they are vastly overrated, plain and simple.  The only thing most brokers offer you is to list your items using OP premium.  Great, so now you items get seen more.  This is something that's a complete non-value add when you have premium yourself, and even if you don't, it's not that much better, especially when we're talking about unusuals.  

Here's what I'd be looking for in a broker: I give you my hats and you go out and hustle.  By that I mean actively going around and offering the hats, as opposed to just waiting for offers to come in (I can do that myself).  Of course at the same time, you actually need to make profit.  So for me, I would envision something like this:  I give you a hat that's worth 50 keys.  I will give you 4 weeks to come back to me with items equaling 70 keys.  For that, I would give you 10 keys, so i.e we split the profit.  

If you can do that, and build a track record of doing so, then you will be well on your way.  

100% agreed.

I'm telling you this not as a broker, but as a trader.

Once you receive an offer, don't just check out their price through the simple bp.tf search list or current trades. Big mistake!!! You need to go into item status and actually look at recent price suggestion. To be more careful, use the compare function to check out how much the owner bought it for. You also need to check if the hat is hard to resell or not. Example: someone offered you a hat, but their trade has been up and unsold for 1 month => bit alarming right there

BACKGROUND CHECK EVERYONE YOU TRADE WITH. Trading/brokering for banned users can get you banned.

Start with small items of several keys, I know a lot of people don't want to sell their painted, parted, killstreak kits etc on their own. Ask them to leave +rep on your bp.tf trust (profile +rep is bs).

If you really want to step in unusual brokering, build up at least $1000 backpack and try to have some accepted price suggestion on unusual (not a must, but will help you lots). No one will give you their hat if that hat alone is already double/triple your bp value.

Don't sit there and wait for offer, actively offer your unusual on other trade will get the job done fast without having premium.

I'm telling you this not as a broker, but as a trader.

Once you receive an offer, don't just check out their price through the simple bp.tf search list or current trades. Big mistake!!! You need to go into item status and actually look at recent price suggestion. To be more careful, use the compare function to check out how much the owner bought it for. You also need to check if the hat is hard to resell or not. Example: someone offered you a hat, but their trade has been up and unsold for 1 month => bit alarming right there

BACKGROUND CHECK EVERYONE YOU TRADE WITH. Trading/brokering for banned users can get you banned.

Anyone who doesn't know this absolutely has no business being a broker.  That's unusual trading 101.  

Anyone who doesn't know this absolutely has no business being a broker. That's unusual trading 101.

We are living in a time where people get scammed by fake broker who has 2 f2p games, not even 1 year steam account and $200 bp, I honestly think even the most basic things should be carved into as many brains as possible.

We are living in a time where people get scammed by fake broker who has 2 f2p games, not even 1 year steam account and $200 bp, I honestly think even the most basic things should be carved into as many brains as possible.

Oh yea, not arguing that, simply stating this as fact, if a person considering brokering doesn't know this, they have a far way to go before they should consider brokering. 

Archived