Legality with Music

Chilled Soda

I'll be making a promotional for a product, and posting to Instagram (I co-run a Instagram account that features pics blah blah). The company in question sent us a product, so we are making a video about it and we will edit/post it.

Now, we want music in the background. Is it illegal to grab any old song and put it in there? And what about getting remixes of songs? Or does it have to be non-copyright.

Mind you, our IG account is at 50k+ followers, so it's fairly large and (may) attract attention, so if it's illegal we wish to stay away from it.

(Sorry if this is wrong af section)

I'll be making a promotional for a product, and posting to Instagram (I co-run a Instagram account that features pics blah blah). The company in question sent us a product, so we are making a video about it and we will edit/post it.

Now, we want music in the background. Is it illegal to grab any old song and put it in there? And what about getting remixes of songs? Or does it have to be non-copyright.

Mind you, our IG account is at 50k+ followers, so it's fairly large and (may) attract attention, so if it's illegal we wish to stay away from it.

(Sorry if this is wrong af section)

What you'll want is called royalty free music. I believe some remixes of songs are royalty free and will be legal to use.

What you'll want is called royalty free music. I believe some remixes of songs are royalty free and will be legal to use.

Yeah I've heard of royalty free music (Like this: http://nocopyrightsounds.co.uk/ )

But I'm wondering if we are allowed to use any remix on YouTube, like this: 

Would it be legal to use that? (It's not the original, it's a remix)

I think you should know that or have a lawyer explain it to you if you consider your gig professional.

Depends on the country laws.

I think you should know that or have a lawyer explain it to you if you consider your gig professional.

Depends on the country laws.

It's not really "professional" in that sense, it's my and 2 other 17 year olds with no previous experience. We're trying to do everything legally so we don't get suspended off IG, hence why I'm asking. No, we don't have a lawyer.

I'm wondering if I can legally use a remix of a copyright song, or do I have to get a non-copyright song.

IIRC if it's easily recognizable as a remix of the song and not vastly changed, it still falls under the copyright as derivative.  Also, if you did want to use the remix, you'd need permission from the people who actually remixed it.

IIRC if it's easily recognizable as a remix of the song and not vastly changed, it still falls under the copyright as derivative.  Also, if you did want to use the remix, you'd need permission from the people who actually remixed it.

Alright, thanks. I think we're gonna go with a NCS song to just bypass all the legal issues.

It's not really "professional" in that sense, it's my and 2 other 17 year olds with no previous experience. We're trying to do everything legally so we don't get suspended off IG, hence why I'm asking. No, we don't have a lawyer.

If you are making a promotion for a product, you are engaging in business activity. Your age and experience do not matter. You can not use somebody else's work (in casu their songs) in your commercial activities without their explicit permission to do so. Since you're 17 and it sounds like a first time thing on the side, use copy right free stuff since I imagine it would be pretty hard for you to get in contact with the creators and ask their permission. Even more so if you do not wish to pay them royalties and it would just be a gigantic waste of time. I mean, as long as it's small scale you'd probably never actually get in trouble for it but I think it's better to be safe

If you are making a promotion for a product, you are engaging in business activity. Your age and experience do not matter. You can not use somebody else's work (in casu their songs) in your commercial activities without their explicit permission to do so. Since you're 17 and it sounds like a first time thing on the side, use copy right free stuff since I imagine it would be pretty hard for you to get in contact with the creators and ask their permission. Even more so if you do not wish to pay them royalties and it would just be a gigantic waste of time. I mean, as long as it's small scale you'd probably never actually get in trouble for it but I think it's better to be safe

Yeah I think we're going to be using Non-copyright music. Thanks for the help.

Archived