Attempting to make my own build, need help

Ɗǝvøuяεя of Suns

I'm trying to build my own pc, used partpicker.com, but for the most part friends helped me pick out specs and I got it down to a decent price.  I'm trying to see if there is a way to decrease the price and keep the same specs or increase the specs and keep the same price, possibly even lowering the price and raising the specs.  A 50 dollar raise or lower (the monitor can be ignored) would be greatly appreciated!  

Here are the specs from partpicker- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/#view=sYc2FT

(Also, first forum post, hope I can be here more often!)

EDIT: 

Updated link(s):  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/sYc2FT  (Doktor Build, slight mod.)- 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/2fQTwP

I also wouldn't mind a whole changing of the build, if someone can recommend a build about the same price!

-snip-

Add an SSD. I recommend ~250GB, but even 120GB is easily worth it, they are quite cheap actually.

The PC guy of the forums, AwesomeMcCoolname, also usually suggests getting this PSU instead of a CX one as it is of better quality than the CX series. If you don't mind it being non-modular it would probably be the better choice. You should be fine either way, just something to consider.

You can also save some money on the OS (if you still get the free upgrade to windows 10). I'd just get a refurbished win 7. It's exactly the same as regular windows 7 and you'll get the free upgrade to windows 10 whilst saving some money. Don't worry, I did the exact same thing for my PC, works like a charm.

Do you already have a case btw?

Thanks for the advice!  I'll probably leave this open to see if I more advice can be given, and are there any SSD's you recommend?

EDIT:  Yes, I do have a case.  It's a Soyo Dragon original, couldn't find the model exactly, sadly

Where's the case? Are you reusing one from an earlier build?

Looks like you got a good deal on the mobo and ram, and everything else checks out bar TheDoktor's suggestions.

SSDs make for good boot and program-storing drives. A 128GB drive works and Crucial's BX100 is only $50. For a $30 more you can get a 256GB drive if you're worried about space. If for whatever reason you can't afford an SSD, I'd get a 2TB hard drive instead, for extra space.

This is my first build, I simply stripped the old one of all of it's hugely outdated parts.  The previous one had all of the original parts in it, I stripped the whole thing.

I should note!  The link will be changing with every suggestion given, so pop back up there to check it out!

Case pic!  

soyo-dragon-athlon-xp-2700-256-mb-40-gb-

Thanks for the advice!  I'll probably leave this open to see if I more advice can be given, and are there any SSD's you recommend?

EDIT:  Yes, I do have a case.  It's a Soyo Dragon original, couldn't find the model exactly, sadly

I threw together something I'd probably go with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTB2Q7

Personally, I'd always go with Intel CPUs over AMD (maybe Zen will change that in 2017) unless you're on an absolute budget. This CPU is basically an i7 without overclocking or integrated graphics. The latter won't matter since you get a GPU, but if you wanna overclock you have to reconsider my suggestion. Since you can't OC you should be fine with the stock cooler on this one. Even if might look less powerful at first glance, this should easily outperform the CPU you had in your original build.

Motherboard is some random cheapo one with USB 3.0 headers, if your case doesn't have USB 3.0 you can get an even cheaper one. I went with one 8GB stick of RAM since that should be enough for most games, and you can always upgrade later if required.

My first post explains the PSU choice and the addition of an SSD. 

Not sure if you're set on that monitor, but you can get cheaper 1080p 60Hz IPS ones like the one I picked. 

All of this combined (including my suggestion to get windows refurbished for 50$) would even allow you to get a better R9 390 instead whilst only being around 40$ more expensive.

Make sure to check back when McCoolname shows up, you also wanna hear him out.

Also consider that AMD polaris is around the corner, and could potentially give you a better GPU in this price range - if you can wait a bit longer.

Personally, I'd always go with Intel CPUs over AMD (maybe Zen will change that in 2017) unless you're on an absolute budget. 

Yes, I've heard that a lot!  And nothing has me set on that monitor, I've just been told it's a good monitor.  And I have all the time in the world to wait, I need to find a job that pays direct cash, so I can wait longer to build.

The PC guy of the forums, AwesomeMcCoolname, also usually suggests getting this PSU instead of a CX one as it is of better quality than the CX series. If you don't mind it being non-modular it would probably be the better choice. You should be fine either way, just something to consider.

The new CX series is actually pretty good (the one with the white label). 

The V300 is a pretty bad SSD, so I would go with something else. I also second at least waiting for Polaris to see what it brings (iirc it's paper launch is in the next couple of weeks). I would also check out the XFX TS series as it's usually a bit cheaper than comparable Seasonic units. There are slightly cheaper H81 boards that also have USB 3.0 headers. Lastly, I would shoot for a 23-24" monitor instead as it's quite a bit larger. 

Thanks to all for the extra insight!  I should point out, I know very little about building computers, so when it comes to brands and companies and updated versions, I don't understand a lot of it, unfortunately.  But I have tried to take all suggestions and add them on!

I did remove the monitors off of all the builds, including the OS's, so don't worry about those for now

Thanks to all for the extra insight!  I should point out, I know very little about building computers, so when it comes to brands and companies and updated versions, I don't understand a lot of it, unfortunately.  But I have tried to take all suggestions and add them on!

Nvidia just launched Pascal, the 1070 will likely be $400-450 and have 980Ti~ performance (benchmarks/cards aren't out yet).....so think a bit less than twice as fast as an R9 390. AMD will be launching Polaris within a few weeks, although my expectation is that the 1070 will beat it and it won't be until October~ when AMD launches Vega that AMD will have something that can compete with the 1070/1080 (and eventually 1080Ti). 

TL;DR I would personally wait a few weeks to see GTX1070/Polaris benchmarks before buying any GPU. 

Haha, alright, time is of no problem for me!  What SSD's would you recommend, and in case you didn't see, here are the updated lists:

I got the Samsung 840 EVO SSD

The 120GB was perfect for me because all I installed on it was windows first of all (my computer boots up fast af now), and csgo and a few others (im always like the first one into csgo games now)

Feeling iffy about that case, ventilation is really important for keeping components from overheating, especially if you go with the current AMD cpu offerings. Definitely wait for Polaris/Pascal since it's only about a month and the performance improvements are actually significant this time around.

I see that in that parts list you've got a 600W modular corsair cx unit floating around $70 (after rebate) and I've gotta say there's a much better deal to be had with a Seasonic M12II unit (M for Modular). Currently the 620W version is going for $70 on both Newegg and Amazon. It's a higher quality unit from a very reputable manufacturer at about the same price so it's pretty much a win.

As for SSD recommendations the ADATA SP550 seems to be quite popular for value oriented SSDs. If you're looking for something more high performance I would personally recommend the PNY CS2211, especially since it seems to drop below the $80 mark (@240GB) relatively frequently and it does a pretty good job without the disadvantages that value oriented SSDs tend to have. Side note: 120GB SSDs don't seem like a very good value when you compare their prices to their 240/250GB variants which have literally double the storage capacity.

Don't really see a reason for such a low-profile CPU cooler when you're using a normal case.

It's certainly gonna work, but with an i5-6500 you can't overclock to begin with so the stock cooler should already do you fine. 

I should note!  The link will be changing with every suggestion given, so pop back up there to check it out!

Case pic!  

it has a floppy disk loader..

pls get a new case

I'm trying to build my own pc, used partpicker.com, but for the most part friends helped me pick out specs and I got it down to a decent price.  I'm trying to see if there is a way to decrease the price and keep the same specs or increase the specs and keep the same price, possibly even lowering the price and raising the specs.  A 50 dollar raise or lower (the monitor can be ignored) would be greatly appreciated!  

Here are the specs from partpicker- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/#view=sYc2FT

(Also, first forum post, hope I can be here more often!)

EDIT: 

Updated link(s):  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/sYc2FT  (Doktor Build, slight mod.)- 

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Devourer/saved/2fQTwP

I also wouldn't mind a whole changing of the build, if someone can recommend a build about the same price!

Get a GTX 1080. 

pls get a new case

Damn, didn't even notice that at first. I second new case again because ventilation. There is very limited airflow potential and that's pretty important for the performance and lifespan of the new parts being thrown in. Also no guarantees the motherboard's even gonna fit in properly if that's a case from a prebiult machine.

Damn, didn't even notice that at first. I second new case again because ventilation. There is very limited airflow potential and that's pretty important for the performance and lifespan of the new parts being thrown in. Also no guarantees the motherboard's even gonna fit in properly if that's a case from a prebiult machine.

pls get a new case

I removed the disk stuff, I plan on replacing those with modern parts, unless that is literally impossible, then I might try getting a new case, or did I not mention there's non of the original left, just the power cord and ports on back

Even prebuilts generally follow standardized specs -- it's just a question of which one. They often follow the btx spec, but you can tell it at least follows the external atx spec, so it also more than likely also has the screw points of atx. 

I removed the disk stuff, I plan on replacing those with modern parts, unless that is literally impossible, then I might try getting a new case, or did I not mention there's non of the original left, just the power cord and ports on back

Atrocious airflow is still a concern. 

Archived