Earbuds

Mr.Mem

I was talking with my friends, and we were just wondering why earbuds were ever widely accepted as a currency? They are not visually appealing, and they were not that rare. How did it take off?

I believe back then when users were only allow to trade 8 items at a time, keys were hard to use, so people used earbuds instead since they were "exclusive", "rare", and "Promotion items".  But after the new steam trade was added, keys became easier to use since in new trade window there is infinite amount of items you are allow to add.  Therefore overtime people stopped using buds and used keys.

Im not a professional but thats what I think happened.  Maybe someone else here can explain better then me

Back then, as stated above, the only way to trade back then was via an in-game window where a person could only trade up to 8 items at a time. So, there was a need for items to be worth many keys. Earbuds, Bill's Hats, and Max's Heads were chosen by the community because of their ties to promotions. As there was a fixed amount of each of them, there was little worry about them multiplying and devaluing. It also helped that back then, there were few cosmetics to choose from and they all looked pretty good.

The reason that they stopped was that as time passed, trading grew into a whole subset of the steam interface. People could now trade as many items in a single trade as they wanted. So, buds weren't needed as much. But people used them still for convenience's sake. However, after every major sale, where many people would cash out all their items, driving prices down for a bit, buds would bounce back a little less each time. Where the death knell came was when buds became marketable on the SCM. People rushed to dump their buds on the market, and because they wanted theirs to sell first, would undercut everyone else by a few cents. Repeat that a few thousand times, and buds's value plummeted. And because of the plummet, traders lost faith in the item as a stable currency, with many refusing to even take the item in a trade out of fear of it dropping even more. This of course, made it drop even more. Eventually it stabilized at the low end you see today, still with a little value, but a far cry from where it was in the past.

Traders hoarded them and jacked up the price by making it artificially rare, it was also because their was a huge demand for a item with high currency due trade restrictions, valve should just killed earbud value faster and fixed trade restrictions, if they wanted to improve trading though i would suggest valve to allow stacking keys by 10 or 20 and to add part on trade that shows how many of the current items are in the trade, for example keys i'm sure this already exist though via browser if its possible to add these special features via scripts etc.

Traders hoarded them and jacked up the price by making it artificially rare, it was also because their was a huge demand for a item with high currency due trade restrictions, valve should just killed earbud value faster and fixed trade restrictions, if they wanted to improve trading though i would suggest valve to allow stacking keys by 10 or 20 and to add part on trade that shows how many of the current items are in the trade, for example keys i'm sure this already exist though via browser if its possible to add these special features via scripts etc.

Here is the script for chrome: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/17946-script-steam-trade-offer-enhancer/

I use it because im lazy and don't want to count metal/keys

Archived