Are spells giftable again?

Lynx.Be.Learning

I came across this page....

https://backpack.tf/overview/Halloween%20Spell:%20Gangreen%20Footprints

(If you dont like clicking links, just search for Gangreen Footprints within backpacks' site)

And under 'Schema Tracking'    + The item is now gift wrappable.    which was added March 1st, 2016. Does this mean spells can be traded again( via gifting ); or am I miss interpreting this?

Does this mean spells can be traded again( via gifting ); or am I miss interpreting this?

Not so much misinterpreting as lacking the entire picture.

Prior to the March 1st update spells were never giftable. However additionally prior to that the giftability of an item had no baring on its tradability. For example: Some items, like scrap metal, were ungiftable regardless of whether they were tradable or untradable. Likewise some items were always giftable regardless of whether they were tradable or untradable.

On March 1st all items were made giftable, however in the same update the giftability of an item became dependent on tradability. So now you can gift wrap scrap metal, unless it is untradable scrap.

So tradable spells have been gift wrappable since March 1st. However there have been no tradable spells since the Tough Break Update in December.

Likewise even if untradable spells were giftable, it is impossible to actually wrap them since that requires loading up TF2 and that will automatically cause the spells to disappear.

Due to spells disappearing when launching tf2 I would imagine it would be impossible to giftwrap them and thus trade them. Unless there are any that are already giftwrapped.

Not so much misinterpreting as lacking the entire picture.

Prior to the March 1st update spells were never giftable. However additionally prior to that the giftability of an item had no baring on its tradability. For example: Some items, like scrap metal, were ungiftable regardless of whether they were tradable or untradable. Likewise some items were always giftable regardless of whether they were tradable or untradable.

On March 1st all items were made giftable, however in the same update the giftability of an item became dependent on tradability. So now you can gift wrap scrap metal, unless it is untradable scrap.

So tradable spells have been gift wrappable since March 1st. However there have been no tradable spells since the Tough Break Update in December.

Likewise even if untradable spells were giftable, it is impossible to actually wrap them since that requires loading up TF2 and that will automatically cause the spells to disappear.

Thank you for taking to the time to write this. I had never gifted any items, nor traded for spells. I knew there had to be something I was missing, since something big like spells, again, being tradable, and not have anyone posting a Backpack News bulletin. or atlest a selling thread.

Anyways thank you.

In the past, applying them was easy since the person that had the spells would trade through the web browser and not start TF2. Then, the person getting the spell, as long as he had TF2 running when he made the trade, the spell would appear in his BP and he could apply it. As long as you never actually started TF2 with the spell in your BP, you wouldn't lose it.

Archived