What would you do?

NotWarlizard

Let's role-play a little here, this thread is not to be taken as "bro tf2 is not dying".

So, everything eventually comes to an end, example is Myspace, the once too big to fail, social media giant, completely went downhill when new social media platforms came around and it died a quick and painful death.

So this got me thinking, what would you do when TF2 starts dying and you have expensive backpacks full of unusuals?

well i prolly sell my items and stuff

but Valve might sell the game to Gamespot or EA for the online servers if it would have died 

plus if no more public gaming then just look for a public server like lotus,degree,etc

I would obviously transition to a better economy, like Unturned. I have already started so i'm super ready.

But if people cash out then someone has to end up with those unusuals, who would buy em?

well i prolly sell my items and stuff

but Valve might sell the game to Gamespot or EA for the online servers if it would have died 

plus if no more public gaming then just look for a public server like lotus,degree,etc

who are you selling to in this scenario?

OP this is one of the reasons I was constantly cashing out even while I was super into trading. this day will come when there is extremely limited demand for tf2 trading; compared to 2013 it's already much lower than it was. my backpack is relatively expensive right now (ranked 6,500 or so, with 3 unpriced unusuals), but even so, i feel like i'm happy keeping what i have for when i do play tf2. i'm not currently in need and i don't really foresee myself becoming in need for a quick £100 that i'd get from cashing much more of my stuff considering i've taken probably £2000+ out of this game already and have £1000 in savings from it still after years of using it for holidays et cetera.

things die when they become surpassed in every way.

TF2 is a class-based shooter that has so much style, so many different loadout combinations and team compositions that I can't even believe people think that an attempt by a company that specializes in making 4000 hours-to-endgame dungeon crawlers (that take 13 years to release) to make a similar game is even remotely threatening to TF2

oh, enjoy your games that feel like endless chores! I'm sure that will be fun when you can't even see what is happening because of all the RANDOM STUPID GARBAGE THAT APPEARS ALL OVER THE SCREEN WHILE YOU PLAY IT.

things die when they become surpassed in every way.

TF2 is a class-based shooter that has so much style, so many different loadout combinations and team compositions that I can't even believe people think that an attempt by a company that specializes in making 4000 hours-to-endgame dungeon crawlers (that take 13 years to release) to make a similar game is even remotely threatening to TF2

oh, enjoy your games that feel like endless chores! I'm sure that will be fun when you can't even see what is happening because of all the RANDOM STUPID GARBAGE THAT APPEARS ALL OVER THE SCREEN WHILE YOU PLAY IT.

Everyone said that about myspace, to big to fail.

Also, I was browsing reddit and there was a front page post on /r/tf2 about a guy who loved overwatch and wanted a team fortress 3.

I agree with your comment though, that's what made tf2 a success, but still gotta take into considerations that times change and people get bored. Look at runescape, a couple bad decisions and the game pretty much died compared to it's peak. I used to love that game and traded on it just like in tf2 but it died down even if it has endless things to do.

Probably quicksell everything in an desperate attempt to make as little loss as possible. Glad I cashed out after reading posts on here.

Everyone said that about myspace, to big to fail.

Also, I was browsing reddit and there was a front page post on /r/tf2 about a guy who loved overwatch and wanted a team fortress 3.

I agree with your comment though, that's what made tf2 a success, but still gotta take into considerations that times change and people get bored. Look at runescape, a couple bad decisions and the game pretty much died compared to it's peak. I used to love that game and traded on it just like in tf2 but it died down even if it has endless things to do.

People are already getting bored of it.

http://steamcharts.com/app/440

MM open beta was fun but that got boring real quick, you play against the same people over and over again wtf how is that fun lmfao. People get upset about others abandoning but let's face it, they don't enjoy getting stomped by you and your team. If I played dota and I got matched against the same fucking team or 2-3 of the same players every day I'd quit that game instantly. Not to mention random crits, random spams everywhere, 5-6 sentries and people getting upset at try hards in a pub.

Rofl yeah let's just meme all day long and post sandvich dispensers sprays instead.

Let's role-play a little here, this thread is not to be taken as "bro tf2 is not dying".

So, everything eventually comes to an end, example is Myspace, the once too big to fail, social media giant, completely went downhill when new social media platforms came around and it died a quick and painful death.

So this got me thinking, what would you do when TF2 starts dying and you have expensive backpacks full of unusuals?

It won't die in a night of course. There would be people still wanting to buy and take TF2 trades. I can see the gaming aspect of TF2 dying / decreasing in numbers by 24.05.16, however, the economy won't take a very huge plunge due to it.

But if people cash out then someone has to end up with those unusuals, who would buy em?

Implying that you had to be silly enough to still have an inventory when the game is already dead to the point where no one would buy any tf2 related stuff. :lol: Their Unturned inventory would've been more than set before that would happen.

As long as valve keeps updating the game then people will have something to come back. Yes people get bored, but its not like the very same people will always play tf2, new kids will join steam and soon they will tune in to their future favorite f2p game for some time.

I wouldn't mind much and accept my losses. Life is full of risks and rewards, I've made hundreds of dollars profit thanks to tf2 trading in the past, so it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to reject the risk of it all going to dust becoming a reality.

Probably couldn't care less.  As OP said, all things come to an end.  When TF2 finally dies and if I'm still around, I'll raise a glass and say 'it's been one hell of a good run, now it's time for something else.'   Don't be afraid of change.  

Archived