2 days after the Ban wave

Bob the Unsymmetrical

After the happiest day of an average player in tf2, everyone seems so satisfied, becuz the person said that he ended the project.

But why didn't Valve file a lawsuit on the LMAObox boi, and do they even have the freedom to do so?

Disruption of company functions.

Tf2 is technically valve's product, by promoting cheats into tf2 you are basically affecting valve's business.

Here is an example.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140625/08443327682/future-is-now-cheating-online-games-leads-to-arrests-japan.shtml

that is not up to valve though, the police has to do it. For criminal offences a prosecutor has to press charges. Valve could of course request a prosecutor to do so but I somehow doubt they wouldn't just laugh it off. And even then, Valve does not have these people's real names/identities. All they have is some accounts

But it should be

No, no it should not. I'm not sure if you're joking or not but making very subjective things like being a cunt a criminal offense is a terrible idea

But it should be

to the PRS!

@thread topic

filing a law suit would have been expensive and not worth it.  I doubt lmaobox's existence significantly affected valve's profits from tf2, and I doubt they would've been able to get much out of the guy who made it aside from shutting it down early.  a cheaper way to get rid of lmaobox would've been putting actual effort towards making it vac bannable (because didn't it only become vac bannable because some random person leaked some files related to lmaobox?)

After the happiest day of an average player in tf2, everyone seems so satisfied, becuz the person said that he ended the project.

What project? The Lmaobox development? It's still on going, think it's just in maintenance.

I find it highly unlikely that valve would go to the trouble of filing a lawsuit against some scrawny teenager for hacking in a video game, sounds like a huge waste of time and resources that could be used elsewhere.

becuz the person said that he ended the project.

I guess this misinformation isn't going to die soon is it?

The lamebox creator never said they were ending the project. The post being circulated is fake, sort of. In a case of irony the creator's own account was hacked and the hacker posted the fake message. The link following the bit that they were now distributing the software for free was not the premium lamebox but rather a bunch of malware.

I guess this misinformation isn't going to die soon is it?

The lamebox creator never said they were ending the project. The post being circulated is fake, sort of. In a case of irony the creator's own account was hacked and the hacker posted the fake message. The link following the bit that they were now distributing the software for free was not the premium lamebox but rather a bunch of malware.

sounds like you know a lot about the lmaobox site, lmaobox and cheating. you cheater.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

And what would they charge him with? Being a cunt is not illegal

Blizzard has sued bot makers quite often and won lots of cases, so i don't see how Valve cannot do the same, lmaobox may not be giving users power to bot but its pretty much disrupting their service the damage is the same.

Creating cheating programs is technically aiding people in breaking the end user license agreement, which is illegal. Read this somewhere recently.

because didn't it only become vac bannable because some random person leaked some files related to lmaobox?

Well the reason why LMAObox was around for such a long time was because valve didnt care since it really is only a minority who are effected and the tf2 team is only a handful of people so they just left it. If they actually cared it really isnt that hard to get rid of, from what I heard someone sent the source code to them which took a few mins to reverse engineer it or something.

But why didn't Valve file a lawsuit on the LMAObox boi, and do they even have the freedom to do so?

Blizzard has sued bot makers quite often and won lots of cases, so i don't see how Valve cannot do the same, lmaobox may not be giving users power to bot but its pretty much disrupting their service the damage is the same.

Creating cheats is covered by fair use, it isn't depreciating the value of the service like bots depreciated the value of WoW currency so anyone who creates cheats is 100% fine as far as the law goes. There have even be extremely high profile lawsuits that have all failed because cheating isn't illegal.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-04-01/news/os-online-cheating-lawsuit-20100401_1_virtual-world-online-game-game-developers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

Archived