Confused (which isn't difficult lately) - Initial Price Suggestion

SirMillbot

So, still trying to figure out the intricacies of price suggestions. When I have done suggestions of regular items needing a initial price, I include as many links to successful solds as possible. Even then, you get the "Need moar proofs" comments. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So, saw this suggestion yesterday, http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5289f3ee4dd7b889748b456b#528a35414dd7b828198b456b_row - initial price suggestion on a Haunted item from the past Halloween event with 0 sold links and it got approved. So. Does a initial price suggestion need sold proof or not? 

The suggestion got passed because of two reasons - first is that the votes for the suggestion is highly positive, which brings us to reason two which is that the mods had made their own research and found solds within the range.

However, I do not agree with the fact that they do not need solds. Mods should actually state so in the suggestion before researching and accepting - at least that's what I think. This is actually why lots of Roller's latest suggestions had been closed.

There seems to be a pattern though. Mr. Bucket seems to be the one closing while blind polar bear is the one accepting. Maybe you can ask them why the difference.

There seems to be a pattern though. Mr. Bucket seems to be the one closing while blind polar bear is the one accepting. Maybe you can ask them why the difference.

I only accepted three of roller's suggestions, ones where I found proof of sales. The rest I left open in case people could find proof of sales, but when that wasn't provided in time, Bucket closed them.

Note, at the time I had accepted, there were quickbuyers on haunted items at 0.66. So my threshold of accepting a suggestion at 1 ref or 1-1.33 ref was pretty low. If I found 1-2 sales at that range (provided the suggestor showed lots of sellers at 1-1.33), I accepted.

With so many haunteds ending up at 1 ref, it likely just slipped by. Initial price suggestions should have more solid solds than was provided in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

I only accepted three of roller's suggestions, ones where I found proof of sales. The rest I left open in case people could find proof of sales, but when that wasn't provided in time, Bucket closed them.

Note, at the time I had accepted, there were quickbuyers on haunted items at 0.66. So my threshold of accepting a suggestion at 1 ref or 1-1.33 ref was pretty low. If I found 1-2 sales at that range (provided the suggestor showed lots of sellers at 1-1.33), I accepted.

It's hard to locate Sales on Haunted Items. Most likely, The ones who sold are Outliers. It's really hard to price haunted items considering that there is not much sales. (And especially Woifi trying to tell me to price all that crap... ;~;)

given how many sales there are, I thought that was enough.

There was 1 sale for 9 spellbooks, all the other 1 ref links were still unsold when I checked.

The suggestion got passed because of two reasons - first is that the votes for the suggestion is highly positive, which brings us to reason two which is that the mods had made their own research and found solds within the range.

However, I do not agree with the fact that they do not need solds. Mods should actually state so in the suggestion before researching and accepting - at least that's what I think. This is actually why lots of Roller's latest suggestions had been closed.

Is that fair to the voters though? If I see a suggestion with just on (maybe even invalid) link, I will vote it down. If a mod then does their own research and accepts, my voting accuracy goes down. Isn't it the moderators' job to check suggestions, not correct (not really the best word to describe what I mean) them?

I don't really care, as I have no chance of ending up high in the contribution-list anyways, but it seems a bit off.

Is that fair to the voters though? If I see a suggestion with just on (maybe even invalid) link, I will vote it down. If a mod then does their own research and accepts, my voting accuracy goes down. Isn't it the moderators' job to check suggestions, not correct (not really the best word to describe what I mean) them?

I don't really care, as I have no chance of ending up high in the contribution-list anyways, but it seems a bit off.

This has been an "issue" for a while. But, i don't think its such a big deal. You're not supposed to take what the suggester gives as the only proof since he could easily skip over a bunch of trades which completely contradict the suggested range. So, you really should be looking into any suggestion that you vote on.

You shouldn't vote on a suggestion (that seems that it could be right/wrong) just because the proof points one way or another. 

This has been an "issue" for a while. But, i don't think its such a big deal. You're not supposed to take what the suggester gives as the only proof since he could easily skip over a bunch of trades which completely contradict the suggested range. So, you really should be looking into any suggestion that you vote on.

You shouldn't vote on a suggestion (that seems that it could be right/wrong) just because the proof points one way or another. 

With a 'good' suggestion I would agree, but if you see a suggestion that's just poorly made, or just looks like someone is trying to increase their bp value, I'm guessing doing research would be a waste of time in most cases.

With a 'good' suggestion I would agree, but if you see a suggestion that's just poorly made, or just looks like someone is trying to increase their bp value, I'm guessing doing research would be a waste of time in most cases.

I mean, you should be familiar with the item your voting on. Otherwie its like voting on a president based solely on his/her ad campaign and not hearing what the other party has to say. 

I mean, you should be familiar with the item your voting on. Otherwie its like voting on a president based solely on his/her ad campaign and not hearing what the other party has to say. 

Guess that makes sense. It's definitely not what most people base their votes on though :P

Archived