[PSA] Take your trading with you, wherever you go. Introducing Mist - a portable, open-source Steam client that lets you chat with friends and trade T

johnguackmbl

Will this program be useful to you?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will this program be useful to you?

• Yes.
    • No.

***NOTE: I did not make this. I am just spreading the word. http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/waylaidwanderer is the genius creator of this little program. If you want to thank him, use the program. Join the Steam group.***   What is Mist?

Mist is a portable, open-source Steam client written in C# that allows the user to chat and trade TF2 items. Mist is something I decided to write because I love doing trades, even away from home. Unfortunately I wasn't always able to go on Steam and trade due to restrictions on installing software, for example, and would miss out on business deals.

So Mist is intended to be a solution for that. It's portable and doesn't require Steam, which means that you can put it on a flash drive and bring it anywhere with you.

Mist is built on top of SteamBot (https://github.com/Jessecar96/SteamBot/) and heavily uses its underlying functions to handle chat and trading. And of course, it is open-source as well :)

Scroll to the bottom for the source-code and download link.

Features

MIST IS STILL VERY MUCH IN BETA. Expect bugs, and also expect them to be fixed as they are reported. With your help, I'll be able to get it as stable as possible. I wouldn't recommend it for high-value, important trades at the moment, just to be on the safe side.

Screenshots Gallery

• Works with SteamGuard - no need to disable it to use Mist
  • Chat with friends
  • Trade TF2 items - you are limited to trading only TF2 items for now. Adding other types of items will cause the trade to expire.
  • Change display name and status
  • Add friends
  • Block/ignore friends
  • Backpack viewer - view anyone's backpack directly from within the program!
  • SteamRep Checker - check any of your friends' SteamRep status
  • More to come?
What doesn't work
  • Friend requests are not shown in Mist. You will have to accept/ignore them manually via steamcommunity.com. This feature will be implemented in a later release
  • Can only trade TF2 items
  • Occasionally adding items will cause the trade to crash and expire. This is rare but it happens. Close the chat tab, reopen it and trade the other person again.
  • Searching for friends - this is planned for a later release
  • Linux support - unfortunately Mist is not compatible with Linux, using either Mono or Wine. Some of the libraries used are incompatible. A separate Linux release is planned in the future, if demand is high enough.
Feedback, Contributions and Suggestions

Got an idea for a feature? Want to contribute?

Please report all bugs and suggestions by opening a new issue on the Mist repo on GitHub. If you would like to contribute and make your own changes, check out how to contribute.

Steam Group

You can join Mist's Steam Group where relevant announcements will be made. New releases will always be announced as soon as they are uploaded.

Source Code

Mist is open-source and licensed under the GPL. As such, you are free to peruse the code and even contribute to it.

I've uploaded the source code to GitHub. Check it out here. You can compile Mist directly from source if you'd like.

Download Mist

You can always find the latest version of Mist on the Steam Group here.

As of right now, that is Mist v1.0.0.

Download Mist v1.0.0 (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 - Requires .NET 4.0).

Here's a virus scan report courtesy of VirusTotal.com.

All versions of Mist requires .NET 4.0 to run. A Steam API key is also required. Get one from here.

Sounds useful in theory, but the main point of it is being "portable".  I feel that I could easily do the same thing with my steam client, and it would be much more secure than a third party software.

I will likely wait for the kinks to be worked out (specifically the friend invites), but I can see myself using this as a nice, lighter alternative to running steam in the background.  Thanks for the info.

logo definitely needs work haha

Yep. I know the creator of this, Phoenix, and am working with him (and by that I mean I get to be his guinea pig) to work out a few kinks. If you guys got questions or concerns, fire away!

Yep. I know the creator of this, Phoenix, and am working with him (and by that I mean I get to be his guinea pig) to work out a few kinks. If you guys got questions or concerns, fire away!

Does the trade work? I want to trade on a phone.

Does the trade work? I want to trade on a phone.

Trade does indeed work. It's a text based trade, and I believe support for paints has been added, but it can be a bit laggy at times. It shows you a list of what you have, sorted alpahbetically, and what's inside a gift if any, as well as what you have in the trade, what the other person has in the trade, and chat. Imagine a plain text version of normal Steam trading.

I kind of found a bug. I opened and logged into MIST with no issues. Also, I sent a message to one of my friends with no issues either. However, when I attempt to initiate a trade, whenever the person on the other end accepts the trade request, MIST.exe stops working and crashes. Any reason for this? Thanks for reading :D

I kind of found a bug. I opened and logged into MIST with no issues. Also, I sent a message to one of my friends with no issues either. However, when I attempt to initiate a trade, whenever the person on the other end accepts the trade request, MIST.exe stops working and crashes. Any reason for this? Thanks for reading :D

Do you have .NET 4.0 installed? Or did the person attempt to add a Steam game/gift to the trade? Both of these are issues that cause the trade to crash.

Do you have .NET 4.0 installed? Or did the person attempt to add a Steam game/gift to the trade? Both of these are issues that cause the trade to crash.

No, what I mean is that I invite them to trade, and when they accept it it crashes. The trade window doesn't open. All it says is Mist.exe has stopped working.

Archived