Please read.

Jackk

While Jack is clearly in the wrong here just as much blame should be put on the websites that allow him to develop his addiction.

Guns don't kill people people do

That's a weak-ass argument. 99.9% of the userbase manages to use these sites without incurring any negativity like this, so blaming the site for it is unjustified. This is on Jack, and there's no changing that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Guys, stop derailing the thread. He wanted to speak and we did let him there is no need to start a flame war out of this. Keep it civil.

If you guys can't keep it that way, I will be locking this.

While Jack is clearly in the wrong here just as much blame should be put on the websites that allow him to develop his addiction. From what I've read he seems to be <18, meaning he should not be gambling in the first place.

Sweetstakes and backpack lotto don't require any proof you are old enough to gamble, nor do they even put any sort of emphasis on the age requirement. These websites are worse than scammers, they are harming children for their own profit by allowing them to gamble. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2/3 of users who have gambled with in-game items are underage.

Its geel9s fault guys, we should ban him.

Guns don't kill people people do

That's a weak-ass argument. 99.9% of the userbase manages to use these sites without incurring any negativity like this, so blaming the site for it is unjustified. This is on Jack, and there's no changing that.

The only reason you don't hear other stories is because they weren't brokers, and they didn't gamble away a client's unusual. At least not on a scale as big as this.

From what I've read he seems to be <18, meaning he should not be gambling in the first place.

Sweetstakes and backpack lotto don't require any proof you are old enough to gamble, nor do they even put any sort of emphasis on the age requirement. These websites are worse than scammers, they are harming children for their own profit by allowing them to gamble.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly what i tried to tell to jack. i knew he had some problems about gambling and i multiple times told him to stop.

Gambling is bad, especially for kids. Jack  is my other friend who basicly lost his full fucking career for sweetstakes.

And yes jack did wrong, but why is everybody fucking full attacking him. Jeeze

The only reason you don't hear other stories is because they weren't brokers, and they didn't gamble away a client's unusual. At least not on a scale as big as this.

Not to mention CS:GO gambling sites.

I watch csgo egg's chat for fun, and more than one person has lost over $5,000, our brain is wired to love instant gratification.

All addictions are bad.

Yeah. Being reckless with your own property is something, being reckless with somebody elses is just, I could name any negative adjectives. People are getting narky because as much as you're "paying everyone back", you're still trying to justify what you did. And there is no real justification for what you did.

Lol wtf is this?  I have 0 sympathy for you, I don't care if you pay him back or not (though if you do you that would be great for the people you scammed).

I always viewed you as a seemingly immature person.  I didn't expect this, though...  This seems like another attention grab, I really can't believe you would do this after your connection to the community via suggesting, ect.  There are no excuses for scamming and you DEFINITELY should not be given the chance to broker again.

If you give the items back I would gladly give you a pat on the back, ect, ect.  Since we definitely don't want to encourage NOT giving scammed items back.  Although expecting a second chance is just insane, sorry.  I hope you give the items back.  That will show who you are as a person, but it won't give you a second chance.

Lol wtf is this?  I have 0 sympathy for you, I don't care if you pay him back or not (though if you do you that would be great for the people you scammed).

I always viewed you as a seemingly immature person.  I didn't expect this, though...  This seems like another attention grab, I really can't believe you would do this after your connection to the community via suggesting, ect.  There are no excuses for scamming and you DEFINITELY should not be given the chance to broker again.

If you give the items back I would gladly give you a pat on the back, ect, ect.  Since we definitely don't want to encourage NOT giving scammed items back.  Although expecting a second chance is just insane, sorry.  I hope you give the items back.  That will show who you are as a person, but it won't give you a second chance.

I was aware of this already, I'm just trying to make up for what I've done.

Definitely wouldn't have doubted that this was the kind of person you were judging off of how you dealt with the situation of the chemistry set that you had bought. Wasn't surprised at all. You were in no place to be gambling, especially with things that aren't yours. It seems like you manipulated the situation and pretended to be a broker, used the free brokering bit to get customers and then gambled with their hats to make your own money. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the first hat you've lost to the site, because I've seen you gambling before with other hats you're supposed to be brokering. I also doubt you had the permission of those people to gamble with their hats, and I doubt even more that you gave them any slice of the profit you made using their hats. My personal opinion is that you deserve a SteamRep mark as well, because you were deceiving other people and using their items for your own gain. 

Posted · Hidden by λngelღмander, May 2, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by λngelღмander, May 2, 2016 - No reason given

Jumping on the thread here, Jackk needs to sort his shit out and you guys should just lock the damn thread at this point

I mean this thread is either derailed by Moral Crusader Gent or some other guys arguing over some stuff

Posted · Hidden by λngelღмander, May 2, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by λngelღмander, May 2, 2016 - No reason given

-snip-

Or mr Utsoob who added literally nothing to the conversation other than some mild backseat modding.

Jack you need to determine if you're trying to convince us or yourself

I still struggle to see how I'm trying to convince myself...

Maybe this is my callous conservative side coming out, but....

Your addiction isn't an excuse.  "Guys, sorry, I'm addicted to crack so I broke into your car to steal your change." isn't a valid defense.  It's an explanation, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you took someone else's property to further your own means.  

This is TF2, so really, who cares, right?  You'll be upset for a week or two, then you'll go outside, talk to some real people, and you'll pretty much forget about this whole thing.  It's not like there will be any repercussions beyond a community ban for a video game.  

Know this though:  don't walk through life like this.  Don't blame things you perceive to be outside of your control for your actions.  You're addicted to gambling - that's YOUR problem, not anyone else's and YOU need to fix it.  I smoked cigarettes for quite a few years, so I do know what real addiction feels like, and it sucks.  I get that.  

You will not be unbanned.  I simply can't imagine that any community mod will show you leniency here, and they shouldn't.  But refer back to paragraph 2 where i write that there aren't any 'real' consequences here.  There aren't, but what if you start gambling on slot machines, in poker tournaments, etc. and your addictions extend to those areas?  What if you decide to steal irl?  There will be consequences and they will be much, much harsher than a community ban.  Don't let that happen to yourself.  

Maybe this is my callous conservative side coming out, but....

Your addiction isn't an excuse.  "Guys, sorry, I'm addicted to crack so I broke into your car to steal your change." isn't a valid defense.  It's an explanation, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you took someone else's property to further your own means.  

This is TF2, so really, who cares, right?  You'll be upset for a week or two, then you'll go outside, talk to some real people, and you'll pretty much forget about this whole thing.  It's not like there will be any repercussions beyond a community ban for a video game.  

Know this though:  don't walk through life like this.  Don't blame things you perceive to be outside of your control for your actions.  You're addicted to gambling - that's YOUR problem, not anyone else's and YOU need to fix it.  I smoked cigarettes for quite a few years, so I do know what real addiction feels like, and it sucks.  I get that.  

You will not be unbanned.  I simply can't imagine that any community mod will show you leniency here, and they shouldn't.  But refer back to paragraph 2 where i write that there aren't any 'real' consequences here.  There aren't, but what if you start gambling on slot machines, in poker tournaments, etc. and your addictions extend to those areas?  What if you decide to steal irl?  There will be consequences and they will be much, much harsher than a community ban.  Don't let that happen to yourself.  

After thinking over this for the past few days, I can say that I agree with a lot of things here. At this point, I don't really care if I get unbanned or not. I'm going to pay everything back anyway. If I do get given the chance of an unban, I will take it of course, but right now all I care about is repairing any damage I've done.

After thinking over this for the past few days, I can say that I agree with a lot of things here. At this point, I don't really care if I get unbanned or not. I'm going to pay everything back anyway. If I do get given the chance of an unban, I will take it of course, but right now all I care about is repairing any damage I've done.

So... this thread is just a PR damage control exercise where you 1) have not clarified if you apologised to the victim 2) don't accept full responsibility 3) instead blame anything, anyone but yourself for being addicted to gambling which induced you to scam?  Yeah, fuck you.  

Archived