Opinions on the changes to some public bathrooms

Explosion-chan

My opinion on the matter. If your transgendered, gender fluid, etc. and you want to go into the bathroom that matches your personal identity then do it. they aren't weirdos or pervs. But if you're opposed to them having this right and obsessing who is in the bathroom with you, you're the weirdo. Not them

The argument that you are uncomfortable about transgender people existing is still dumb. not to mention that if forced to use the ""correct"" bathroom transgender people face discrimination and harrassment from the people there who also feel that they don't belong there.

Again the main issue most people have with it is the presence of someone of the opposite sex in their presence while in a vulnerable space, it doesnt matter if you're transgender or not, feel that you are a man or a woman, if you have male genitals you go to the male bathroom and if you have female genitals you go to the female bathroom. The toilet has traditionally been separated by sex (your genitals) not by what you think your genitals should/shouldn't be and it's only in the recent years where it has changed and became a gender identity issue.

If you read my original reply I never said anything about transgenders it was only sniper noob who pushed the transgenders and discrimination. I simply stated said that I would be uncomfortable with someone of the opposite sex in the bathroom and hence I would avoid using unisex bathrooms, that is my preference I dont see that as discrimination at all.

• Like 2

Again the main issue most people have with it is the presence of someone of the opposite sex in their presence while in a vulnerable space, it doesnt matter if you're transgender or not, feel that you are a man or a woman, if you have male genitals you go to the male bathroom and if you have female genitals you go to the female bathroom. The toilet has traditionally been separated by sex (your genitals) not by what you think your genitals should/shouldn't be and it's only in the recent years where it has changed and became a gender identity issue.

If you read my original reply I never said anything about transgenders it was only sniper noob who pushed the transgenders and discrimination. I simply stated said that I would be uncomfortable with someone of the opposite sex in the bathroom and hence I would avoid using unisex bathrooms, that is my preference I dont see that as discrimination at all.

My main point is that unless you stood there and asked every person who came in to the bathroom if they were transgender, you probably would never know. This wasn't an issue before this law came into effect, and if people want to "perv" around I don't think this law is really going to discourage them, so it seems as if you're using poorly-reasoned ends to justify the means.

My main point is that unless you stood there and asked every person who came in to the bathroom if they were transgender, you probably would never know. This wasn't an issue before this law came into effect, and if people want to "perv" around I don't think this law is really going to discourage them, so it seems as if you're using poorly-reasoned ends to justify the means.

Im talking about unisex bathrooms? And my preference is that I would avoid them because I am not comfortable with the presence of the opposite sex there. How exactly is this a transgender discrimination issue? I fail to see how my preference to avoid unisex bathrooms is somehow against transgenders...

so you're uncomfortable being in the same room as a girl? or what? it's just nonsense... i genuinely don't understand why being in the same room with a girl and some sinks and mirrors is suddenly unacceptable to you? gender neutral bathrooms have cubicles, nobody's seeing your genitals and you're not seeing any either.

bathrooms really don't have to be segregated by genitals when everyone can use a cubicle and the same toilet.

The reason why unisex bathrooms exist is to appeal to trans people. However, by dropping gender off bathrooms, they're not appealing to others that may feel uncomfortable to the person with opposite sex in the same bathroom.

Im talking about unisex bathrooms? And my preference is that I would avoid them because I am not comfortable with the presence of the opposite sex there. How exactly is this a transgender discrimination issue? I fail to see how my preference to avoid unisex bathrooms is somehow against transgenders...

The reason why unisex bathrooms exist is to appeal to trans people. However, by dropping gender off bathrooms, they're not appealing to others that may feel uncomfortable to the person with opposite sex in the same bathroom.

If you're uncomfortable then by all means don't use them. But you shouldn't ban others from using them just because you don't like it, that's simply being selfish. 

If you're uncomfortable then by all means don't use them. But you shouldn't ban others from using them just because you don't like it, that's simply being selfish. 

I never said I was uncomfortable to unisex bathrooms. I said that some people may be uncomfortable to this issue, and I don't blame them. Also, I don't support the fact that bathrooms are dropping gender just to appeal to a minority of the population. That's like making bus seats bigger to appeal to fat people. Ain't that selfish.

I said that some people may be uncomfortable to this issue, and I don't blame them.

Also, I don't support the fact that bathrooms are dropping gender just to appeal to a minority of the population. That's like making bus seats bigger to appeal to fat people. Ain't that selfish.

Err ...

Selfish: lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

-- google's dictionairy

Unless you're arguing that the majority of the government is trans, or the majority of the peeps who design busses are fat - selfish isn't the word you're looking for.

Oppositely, one could point out that if if someone says they don't want it to happen because they feel uncomfortable - that does kind of lean in the direction of that definition (picking personal pleasure over consideration for others) *

* disclaimer: inherently, all humans are selfish to some degree. I'm not implying that if this is your reason for opposing it, you're bad person or something. Especially for some people there can be a dirrect corrolation between how well they can go to the bathroom and how clam/comfortable/ ... they are

Though, one of the great suggestions i've read is actually quite simple: making single stall bathrooms gender neutral. At my job, we have two single stall bathrooms per story - with the "women" 's bathroom also the one for handicapt people (as it is significantly larger then the mens bathroom). Plus, if one of the two is occupied and someone else needs to use it, it's not unheard of, that people use the other one.  So, basically, that's like 3 quarters of the way there already.

FIU9X64.png

In all seriousness though, I think it's just absolutely retarded how quickly it escalated. Goes to show how far the left is willing to take shit. The general rules of the bathroom is just be fucking normal and never take the urinal next to someone else. Other than that, I dont care whos in the bathroom with who. It just does not matter. Porta-potties have been gender-neutral for as long as theyve existed. No one ever gave a shit. Just as long as there arent 2 strangers in there at once it's not weird or anything. My only problem with letting whoever use whatever public bathroom is that it does open up the opportunity for some pervert to get into the other gender's bathroom and have a field day in there. Whether or not it's eyeing up the shlong of a dude or peeping a woman's titty, or god forbid rape someone.  

P.S. Mens room were designed for men, women's rooms were designed for women. 

i'd love to see the research that shows that gender neutral bathrooms have negative outcomes on harassment rates, since so many of you seem incredibly sure they do.

Just keep the signs on the doors but let anyone go into whatever bathroom they want to go in. The vast majority of people will go into their "assigned" bathrooms and you'd only very rarely see someone that looks like the opposite sex.

The only alternative is banning transgender people from certain bathrooms (dumb) or removing the signs from bathrooms (not preferable)

I dont know how "triggered" you are but seriously are you reading like 2 words? Again. For the fourth time now (?). I simply stated said that "I would be uncomfortable with someone of the opposite sex in the bathroom and hence I would avoid using unisex bathrooms, that is my preference I dont see that as discrimination at all."

Also I dont know where you came up with the idea that anyone is "banned" from unisex bathrooms. By definition anyone can enter...which is why I would avoid them...

so you're uncomfortable being in the same room as a girl? or what? it's just nonsense... i genuinely don't understand why being in the same room with a girl and some sinks and mirrors is suddenly unacceptable to you? gender neutral bathrooms have cubicles, nobody's seeing your genitals and you're not seeing any either.

bathrooms really don't have to be segregated by genitals when everyone can use a cubicle and the same toilet.

If a male walked into a female bathroom because he wanted to use it purely because the male bathroom is full or something how long do you think it would take for the cops to arrive? or how many people will tell him to gtfo? He isnt a perv or anything but being uncomfortable with the opposite sex whilst you're in the bathroom is a thing if you can't understand that and will continue to say I'm discriminating because I would avoid unisex bathrooms then this argument is going nowhere. That's like saying I'm discriminating because I prefer not to date a black guy. No, it's a preference learn the difference.

Though, one of the great suggestions i've read is actually quite simple: making single stall bathrooms gender neutral. At my job, we have two single stall bathrooms per story - with the "women" 's bathroom also the one for handicapt people (as it is significantly larger then the mens bathroom). Plus, if one of the two is occupied and someone else needs to use it, it's not unheard of, that people use the other one.  So, basically, that's like 3 quarters of the way there already.

If a male walked into a female bathroom because he wanted to use it purely because the male bathroom is full or something how long do you think it would take for the cops to arrive? or how many people will tell him to gtfo?

We moved, in the building like 7 years ago ... so 7 years, and counting? Or more accurately, until someone calls the cops.

Seriously though, who in their right mind calls the cops because someone ugently needs to use the bathroom and the otherone is ooccupied ???? What ya think - they should wet their pants ? Or public urination ?

People can do whatever with their bodies and request to be called whatever.  Their choice not mine.  But public bathrooms are different imo.  I think the general rule should be. 

Do you have a dick? --> Men's

Do you have a vagina? --> Women's

Something else? --> I guess whichever one you want

Any other way and I do honestly feel like rape percentages would go up.  Even if just by a fraction of a percent.  And even if they don't go up, it will still make everything less awkward.

If a male walked into a female bathroom because he wanted to use it purely because the male bathroom is full or something how long do you think it would take for the cops to arrive? or how many people will tell him to gtfo? He isnt a perv or anything but being uncomfortable with the opposite sex whilst you're in the bathroom is a thing if you can't understand that and will continue to say I'm discriminating because I would avoid unisex bathrooms then this argument is going nowhere. That's like saying I'm discriminating because I prefer not to date a black guy. No, it's a preference learn the difference.

having accidentally walked into and used a female bathroom on at least two occasions i can say that the cops didn't arrive, and when i realised my mistake because there were women there, they were pretty chill about it. actually also another time a female friend was like, "hey come in here with me for a sec" so that we could converse in private and that was also not a police-calling issue. also in reverse, i've been in male toilets where girls came in to use it because their toilets were full. not really a problem.

i still literally do not understand why you can't be in a bathroom with the opposite gender? there are cubicles, nobody sees anybody else urinating or defecating. you have yet to even slightly address this for me. why does the presence of another gender in the same room cause you discomfort? 

also holy shit "i prefer not to date black guys" is absolutely discriminatory and definitely racist? preferences can also be discriminatory, in fact the point of a preference is that you discriminate between more than one option according to your taste.

• Like 1

People can do whatever with their bodies and request to be called whatever.  Their choice not mine.  But public bathrooms are different imo.  I think the general rule should be. 

Do you have a dick? --> Men's

Do you have a vagina? --> Women's

Something else? --> I guess whichever one you want

Any other way and I do honestly feel like rape percentages would go up.  Even if just by a fraction of a percent.  And even if they don't go up, it will still make everything less awkward.

again, why? you're gonna enforce this how? a genital inspection on anyone who uses the bathroom? and, yet again, nobody has any evidential support for the "unisex bathrooms = worse outcomes for sexual harrasment" argument.

Some people do feel uncomfortable when someone of the opposite sex is in the other's bathroom though. You guys say you can't tell, but a lot of the time it is very obvious when you see a transgender person. And again, the people defending this dont seem to understand that this easily opens the door for sexual harassment. Like I said in my other post, I personally don't care whos in the bathroom with who. It doesnt bother me. But when news comes out that someone was felt up by someone in the wrong bathroom, these liberals are going to be scrambling for excuses. 

Some people do feel uncomfortable when someone of the opposite sex is in the other's bathroom though. You guys say you can't tell, but a lot of the time it is very obvious when you see a transgender person. And again, the people defending this dont seem to understand that this easily opens the door for sexual harassment. Like I said in my other post, I personally don't care whos in the bathroom with who. It doesnt bother me. But when news comes out that someone was felt up by someone in the wrong bathroom, these liberals are going to be scrambling for excuses. 

think for a second logically about "it is very obvious when you see a transgender person". you could have seen 50 transgender people and never known about it, and seen 10 and guessed that they were trans. you can't assume an accuracy for something where the case of inaccuracy is never going to be recorded or noted. you get me?

also this has been covered ad infinitum in this thread but until there's any stats for unisex bathrooms being more dangerous you're just talking shit and assuming that bigger, busier bathrooms with cubicles are going to be more dangerous than gender-segregated bathrooms purely because anyone is allowed in them. 

think for a second logically about "it is very obvious when you see a transgender person". you could have seen 50 transgender people and never known about it, and seen 10 and guessed that they were trans. you can't assume an accuracy for something where the case of inaccuracy is never going to be recorded or noted. you get me?

also this has been covered ad infinitum in this thread but until there's any stats for unisex bathrooms being more dangerous you're just talking shit and assuming that bigger, busier bathrooms with cubicles are going to be more dangerous than gender-segregated bathrooms purely because anyone is allowed in them. 

You got defensive real quick there. I dont know what it is about you liberals that make you go up in arms so quickly.

Im sure I do see a good amount of transgendered people in everyday life, but at the same time when you see them from close up, people are probably going to know the majority of the time. It's not hard unless youre totally oblivious. 

Secondly, I dont know why you need a statistic for such a unique circumstance such as unisex bathrooms. Look at the sexual harassment statistics for public areas with few people present. Look at the statistics for transgender sex offenders if you need a statistic. But maybe if you thought logically for a second, you could just use your judgement to see how allowing men and women to freely do whatever they want in an area where people commonly have their private areas exposed is maybe a bad idea in some cases. You cant ignore the fact that sex offenders can easily stick on a sundress and walk into a women's bathroom. 

You got defensive real quick there. I dont know what it is about you liberals that make you go up in arms so quickly.

Im sure I do see a good amount of transgendered people in everyday life, but at the same time when you see them from close up, people are probably going to know the majority of the time. It's not hard unless youre totally oblivious. 

Secondly, I dont know why you need a statistic for such a unique circumstance such as unisex bathrooms. Look at the sexual harassment statistics for public areas with few people present. Look at the statistics for transgender sex offenders if you need a statistic. But maybe if you thought logically for a second, you could just use your judgement to see how allowing men and women to freely do whatever they want in an area where people commonly have their private areas exposed is maybe a bad idea in some cases. You cant ignore the fact that sex offenders can easily stick on a sundress and walk into a women's bathroom. 

lol yep i'm just a super sensitive liberal, i'm crazy "defensive", because i... replied to you. okay :)

again you're still absolutely backing yourself to spot trans people with no basis, but it's fine and dandy. 

yeah guys! why do we need statistics for the thing we're actually discussing? let's apply other statistics for places that aren't really the same and say that unisex bathrooms are unsafe because of that! i thought the new right was supposed to be against "defensive" emotional reasoning and stuff, and pro logic and statistics and facts? 

also lmao "allowing men and women to freely do whatever they want where people commonly have their private parts exposed" nobody is suggesting anarchy in public bathrooms? also, cubicles: people aren't walking around naked or exposed. also, you realise that people can still walk into whatever bathroom they want and harass other people right? like if you're already going to the point of sexual harassment (very very illegal) i don't see why going into the wrong bathroom (minor misdemeanor at most) would be the thing that makes you like; ooh shit, better not do this then.

i'm not ignoring the fact that sex offenders could pretend to be trans (especially because my main focus is unisex bathrooms, not access to segregated bathrooms), but you haven't really made a point there. there's no magic barrier preventing people entering bathrooms anyway, regardless of whether they are allowed to be there or not and i really don't think, as i explained above, that sex offenders are too interested in listening to what they're "allowed" do when it comes to harassment. i don't think saying that trans women can use the women's bathroom is going to result in a spontaneous wave of sex offenders dragging up to get "legitimate" access to a bathroom.

• Like 3

lol yep i'm just a super sensitive liberal, i'm crazy "defensive", because i... replied to you. okay :)

again you're still absolutely backing yourself to spot trans people with no basis, but it's fine and dandy. 

yeah guys! why do we need statistics for the thing we're actually discussing? let's apply other statistics for places that aren't really the same and say that unisex bathrooms are unsafe because of that! i thought the new right was supposed to be against "defensive" emotional reasoning and stuff, and pro logic and statistics and facts? 

also lmao "allowing men and women to freely do whatever they want where people commonly have their private parts exposed" nobody is suggesting anarchy in public bathrooms? also, cubicles: people aren't walking around naked or exposed. also, you realise that people can still walk into whatever bathroom they want and harass other people right? like if you're already going to the point of sexual harassment (very very illegal) i don't see why going into the wrong bathroom (minor misdemeanor at most) would be the thing that makes you like; ooh shit, better not do this then.

i'm not ignoring the fact that sex offenders could pretend to be trans (especially because my main focus is unisex bathrooms, not access to segregated bathrooms), but you haven't really made a point there. there's no magic barrier preventing people entering bathrooms anyway, regardless of whether they are allowed to be there or not and i really don't think, as i explained above, that sex offenders are too interested in listening to what they're "allowed" do when it comes to harassment. i don't think saying that trans women can use the women's bathroom is going to result in a spontaneous wave of sex offenders dragging up to get "legitimate" access to a bathroom.

The sarcasm and and arrogance you put into each common makes you a crazy liberal. Not the fact youre replying. Im always down for a good debate but when you wanna be an ass about it, it's not as fun :(

Why does everything need to be backed with stats? They can be backed with observations just as often. 

Allowing men and women into the same bathroom takes away the moral and social standard that normally prevents them from doing so at first. Going back to the sex offender in the dress example, if he does it with the barrier there is more a problem because it's not socially acceptable for him to be doing that. But once it becomes socially acceptable, someone would step up to the sex offenders defense if a mother doesnt let him in the bathroom with her daughter. If I were a parent, I would certainly be cautious about "transgender" people being in the restroom with my child. It's hard to trust people these days.

It's not a crime for someone to be in the other's bathroom until they become a peeping tom and start causing issues. But listen, it's so much easier for a trans person to just suck up their pride for just 2 minutes to go into the right bathroom to take a piss. But when we open up the opportunity for unisex public restrooms it also opens opportunities for unnecessary issues such as what we've already discussed. Whether or not those are real issues we'll probably see in the next year or so when this becomes a more common occurrence (then you can have your statistics you need so badly). 

On the other hand though (making an argument for your side), it might also be easier to just let trans people use the restrooms for the gender they're not attracted to. So like I said, Im right-sided on this issues but at the same time I really just dont care enough to make a big deal of it just yet. Once it gets to whether or not trans people should be using the opposite locker rooms at schools and public gyms, then this becomes a bigger issue.

• Like 1

again, why? you're gonna enforce this how? a genital inspection on anyone who uses the bathroom? and, yet again, nobody has any evidential support for the "unisex bathrooms = worse outcomes for sexual harrasment" argument.

Hmm yeah I do see how that would be a problem now.  I hadn't thought about the need for a genital inspection, which would be pretty BS lol.  "Penis inspection day" would actually exist....  Also I didn't think about the people who are born with a dick but look like a girl (and live like one) and vise versa.  They wouldn't want to use the wrong restroom for no reason.

The sarcasm and and arrogance you put into each common makes you a crazy liberal. Not the fact youre replying. Im always down for a good debate but when you wanna be an ass about it, it's not as fun :(

Why does everything need to be backed with stats? They can be backed with observations just as often. 

Allowing men and women into the same bathroom takes away the moral and social standard that normally prevents them from doing so at first. Going back to the sex offender in the dress example, if he does it with the barrier there is more a problem because it's not socially acceptable for him to be doing that. But once it becomes socially acceptable, someone would step up to the sex offenders defense if a mother doesnt let him in the bathroom with her daughter. If I were a parent, I would certainly be cautious about "transgender" people being in the restroom with my child. It's hard to trust people these days.

It's not a crime for someone to be in the other's bathroom until they become a peeping tom and start causing issues. But listen, it's so much easier for a trans person to just suck up their pride for just 2 minutes to go into the right bathroom to take a piss. But when we open up the opportunity for unisex public restrooms it also opens opportunities for unnecessary issues such as what we've already discussed. Whether or not those are real issues we'll probably see in the next year or so when this becomes a more common occurrence (then you can have your statistics you need so badly). 

On the other hand though (making an argument for your side), it might also be easier to just let trans people use the restrooms for the gender they're not attracted to. So like I said, Im right-sided on this issues but at the same time I really just dont care enough to make a big deal of it just yet. Once it gets to whether or not trans people should be using the opposite locker rooms at schools and public gyms, then this becomes a bigger issue.

i'm naturally sarcastic, sorry for OFFENDING you ;)

it's not socially acceptable to be a sex offender, why do you think societal values are stopping someone going into a room with a label on it if they aren't stopping them from sexually assaulting people? also you're making loads of assumptions about how sexual assault only happens in a heterosexual way. statistically (sorry if that word triggers you lol) speaking, you've almost certainly stood next to a gay man at a urinal, or at the very least shared a bathroom with them. but you aren't going to suggest gay men and lesbian women need to use the alternative bathrooms, right? 

would it be much easier to make this guy: https://twitter.com/_michaelhughes1/status/575659231841378304/photo/1

use a women's bathroom because of what his birth certificate used to say? (i'm also sure you could have spotted him as trans a mile away with your 100% confirmed-in-all-cases transpotting accuracy)