Opinions on the changes to some public bathrooms

Explosion-chan

Well, some public bathrooms are now dropping gender. This is too far in my opinion. I don't care if gays can get married or transgender people are accepted, but this should not be a step in getting there. There are other reasons for bathroom being seperated by gender than just trying to fit everyone into the gender they're born with. This can be a safety hazard.

Why can't these people understand that there are only 2 genders and that there can only be 2 genders - tumblr's social justice > basic Biology apparently...

• Like 2

Why can't these people understand that there are only 2 genders and that there can only be 2 genders - tumblr's social justice > basic Biology apparently...

Because according to modern society, gender =/= sex, so Biology doesn't apply in this matter, apparently. 

• Like 1

Sex = your genitals and what you're born as

Gender = What you identify as

As stupid as it sounds that some people can get triggered and overly offended when only given 2 choices of male of female, that is how the world is apparently. Complaining about shit where there is none and really need top get a job and/or find something to do in life :l

I'll ask my trans friend (born female, identifies as male) how he feels about it

As for me personally, I heard that a high school actually added in another bathroom for trans/nonbinary people (gender neutral bathrooms), which I feel would make everyone more comfortable

Most girls obviously don't want "boys" coming into their bathroom, regardless of what they identify as. And boys don't want "girls" coming into theirs, for the same reason

I feel a bathroom for non-binary/trans people would make everyone in the school more comfortable

But in the case of removing gender completely is fucking stupid. It makes people more uncomfortable than if they had a separate bathroom.

What happens when you but a trans (male to female) into jail with other guys? Yeah, (s)he is more likely to get raped

We obviously need to recognize trans people in social situations, not remove our options altogether because of them

But there are so many valid points against it like "there are very few trans people in school anyway"; "singles them out putting them into more danger"; "cost of adding another restroom"

TL;DR: This is fuckin' dumb

There was a funny episode on South Park about this issue.

The fact that there are people who require another type of toilet for them is quite astonishing. Really, a bathroom is meant to just be a place where you excrete your waste. Having bathrooms for men and women give them privacy in the fact that they can be a bit comfortable.

A plausible solution to such a problem to these changes for public bathrooms would merely just be to have unisex bathrooms, however, it's a safety hazard.

But really, this is just getting too far to be having all sorts of bathrooms just for a small selection of people.

• Like 1

lawmakers are more dangerous than transgender individuals in bathrooms, no transgender person has ever been arrested for sexual misconduct in a public bathroom.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/04/more-gop-lawmakers-arrested-for-sexual-misconduct-in-bathrooms-than-trans-people/

the fact that people don't want transgender individuals in the same bathroom as them is not a reason to block them from using it because their discomfort is 100% based on essentialist views of gender which are not applicable or useful. 

also if anyone here has ever used a gender neutral bathroom i will be surprised and if you've ever felt threatened whilst using one i'll be doubly surprised

• Like 1

Unisex bathrooms are the norm in plenty of other places around the world, and they are in some places in America, and I don't see anyone complaining about that. I say we just have unisex bathrooms everywhere, as it hasn't been a "safety hazard" anywhere else.

Edit: If we can't get unisex bathrooms to be normal (which I'm 90% sure we can't), we should at least let transgender people go to bathrooms for their gender, I've seen no evidence for it being dangerous as the rest of you seem to say. For all of the people that identify as those fucking Tumblr genders, they're just going to have to suck it up and go to the restroom for their sex. It would be ridiculous to make like 50 bathrooms for the well under 1% of people.

Because according to modern society, gender =/= sex, so Biology doesn't apply in this matter, apparently.

Considering society created gender, we control what gender is, so at the moment gender is a label that describes your traits.

Interesting picture I saw today

CMPYRtM.jpg

I guess you could draw some parallels from it, since other than personal opinion there's really no logical reason to ban trans people from certain bathrooms.

• Like 2

Segregating drinking fountains didn't have much reason.

Segregating bathrooms does have reason. 

You see, the men's bathroom is designed for the male genitalia and vice versa.  Bathrooms are also segregated due to comfort. Women won't feel as comfortable if men go into their bathroom and men won't feel as comfortable if a woman were to walk in.  IMO, the comparison between drinking fountains and bathrooms is bogus. 

Segregating drinking fountains didn't have much reason.

Segregating bathrooms does have reason. 

You see, the men's bathroom is designed for the male genitalia and vice versa.  Bathrooms are also segregated due to comfort. Women won't feel as comfortable if men go into their bathroom and men won't feel as comfortable if a woman were to walk in.  IMO, the comparison between drinking fountains and bathrooms is bogus. 

Lots of places have unisex bathrooms, including basically every single home. Drinking fountains were segregated because white people didn't feel "comfortable" around black people, so at what point does "comfort" just boil down to "I don't like these people." I couldn't care less who is in the bathroom stall next to me when I'm pissing, not to mention the fact that unless a transgender person comes in and literally says "hello I'm transgender" you probably wouldn't even notice in the first place.

• Like 3

Desegregating bathrooms by sex will create more problems and solve none.  These days women can claim sexual assault and ruin a guys life even if he is found to be not guilty, I'd never want to pull down my pants in a bathroom full of women knowing this. And actual sexual assault will probably go up as well. These nonsegregated bathrooms will most likely host some pedos as well.      

I also don't enjoy waiting in a line to use the bathroom.

Desegregating bathrooms by sex will create more problems and solve none.  These days women can claim sexual assault and ruin a guys life even if he is found to be not guilty, I'd never want to pull down my pants in a bathroom full of women knowing this. And actual sexual assault will probably go up as well. These nonsegregated bathrooms will most likely host some pedos as well.      

quoting my post above for your benefit

"lawmakers are more dangerous than transgender individuals in bathrooms, no transgender person has ever been arrested for sexual misconduct in a public bathroom.

http://www.patheos.c...n-trans-people/

the fact that people don't want transgender individuals in the same bathroom as them is not a reason to block them from using it because their discomfort is 100% based on essentialist views of gender which are not applicable or useful. 

also if anyone here has ever used a gender neutral bathroom i will be surprised and if you've ever felt threatened whilst using one i'll be doubly surprised"

i will add that a rapist or harasser is unlikely to see a gender neutral bathroom as a target because they are unable to isolate women in them (broadly assuming that rapists in bathrooms would prefer to target women because they are typically less able to resist) and they also know that gender neutral bathrooms logically are going to be twice as busy and twice as large compared to the same size establishment with gender divided bathrooms. think about it. if you wanted to exploit bathrooms for sexual harassment, are you going to walk into one where you know it's twice as big and twice as busy and anyone might be there? or are you going to choose to lurk a smaller women's bathroom where your victim is smaller and your chances of encountering someone else are smaller?

• Like 2

I'd challenge you to find a single fact to back up any of this. Also why are you fully pulling down your pants in the bathroom?

"People falsely accuse others of rape so we should solve this issue by discriminating against transgendered people so that other idiots don't accuse them of rape." 

This isnt about discrimination against anyone? This is about having a unisex bathroom and there are plenty of people who would not be comfortable with the opposite sex in their presence whilst in the toilet, I know I would actively avoid a unisex bathroom.

Dont know how you tied false rape accusations to discriminating against transgender people :l

• Like 3

This isnt about discrimination against anyone? This is about having a unisex bathroom and there are plenty of people who would not be comfortable with the opposite sex in their presence whilst in the toilet, I know I would actively avoid a unisex bathroom.

Dont know how you tied false rape accusations to discriminating against transgender people :l

Don't know how false rape accusations are relevant to this thread at all, but I wasn't the one who linked it. "Being uncomfortable" isn't a justified reason to disallow people who identify as a certain gender into that bathroom.

Don't know how false rape accusations are relevant to this thread at all, but I wasn't the one who linked it. "Being uncomfortable" isn't a justified reason to disallow people who identify as a certain gender into that bathroom.

Sex is your genitals and gender is something which is extremely subjective and can be "concocted", for example I can walk out the door right now and say I'm a transexual hence nothing should be stopping me entering the bathroom of the opposite sex.

The main issue is there is a strong distinction between sex, gender, transgender and transexual but many use them interchangeably. Being a transgender or having a different "gender" does not mean your genitals are different which is why many people are disturbed by the argument which is basically saying that a person can claim they are transgender and gain entrance to the opposite bathroom (Perving...etc). Most people dont have an issue with transexuals, it's when transgenders who claim they should be considered the opposite sex and have the privileges of the opposite sex yet they "arn't" a member of the opposite sex (effectively taking advantage of the perks of being on both sides). 

Sex: Your genitals at birth

Transgender: You feel as if you have been born into the incorrect body. (Feel you are a male in female body or vice versa)

Transexual: Same as above but you actually undergone the physical changes (hormones, surgery...etc)

• Like 1

Sex is your genitals and gender is something which is extremely subjective and can be "concocted", for example I can walk out the door right now and say I'm a transexual hence nothing should be stopping me entering the bathroom of the opposite sex.

The main issue is there is a strong distinction between sex, gender, transgender and transexual but many use them interchangeably. Being a transgender or having a different "gender" does not mean your genitals are different which is why many people are disturbed by the argument which is basically saying that a person can claim they are transgender and gain entrance to the opposite bathroom (Perving...etc). Most people dont have an issue with transexuals, it's when transgenders who claim they should be considered the opposite sex and have the privileges of the opposite sex yet they "arn't" a member of the opposite sex (effectively taking advantage of the perks of being on both sides). 

Sex: Your genitals at birth

Transgender: You feel as if you have been born into the incorrect body. (Feel you are a male in female body or vice versa)

Transexual: Same as above but you actually undergone the physical changes (hormones, surgery...etc)

this is, of course, why gays and lesbians and anyone else who might ever look at someone else are all banned from using straight cis bathrooms.

why are genitals relevant when unisex bathrooms have cubicles? nobody is stripping in front of others in them, that's not how this works. the argument that you are uncomfortable about transgender people existing is still dumb. not to mention that if forced to use the ""correct"" bathroom transgender people face discrimination and harrassment from the people there who also feel that they don't belong there.

• Like 1